Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/15/2006 12:53:53 PM EST
Well, my 9mm AR just seems to be collecting dust and my G/F seems to lay a claim on my DPMS M4 every time we go to the range, so I am looking to sell the 9mm AR and get a second 16" carbine for myself.

I handled a DPMS 16" superlight today and was very impressed by the balance...it matches the handling on my nekkid muzzle M4 DPMS that the G/F likes. Anyhow, besides DPMS, who is making 16" superligh rifles? If I had my choice, the option for chrome barrel would be good, and a chrome bolt carrier woudl also be good. We are talking complete rifle here, not just uppers...done enough builds to know I want a factory built and warrantied gun.

DPMS and Bushmaster are all that I can think of offhand...any others out there?

Dawg
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:00:10 PM EST
Go with the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:18:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dawg180:

Dawg

Can’t think of any others myself. I know you don’t want to do a BIY AR again, but I did use a DPMS light weight barrel in my last build. And I have to say I’m really pleased with the quality of the barrel. Can’t comment on the quality of a complete DPMS weapon, sorry.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:54:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 3:57:02 PM EST by jollyroger]
CMMG...click me.

Pic borrowed from CMMG's website.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:28:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 8:29:49 PM EST by Dawg180]

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Dawg

Can’t think of any others myself. I know you don’t want to do a BIY AR again, but I did use a DPMS light weight barrel in my last build. And I have to say I’m really pleased with the quality of the barrel. Can’t comment on the quality of a complete DPMS weapon, sorry.

www.hunt101.com/img/396681-big.jpg

LOL, I actually CAN comment on the quality of a complete DPMS rifle...I have one of their Panther carbines, and it has never had a malfuncation of any sort in 2500+ rounds.

Hmm...well I can't really afford a new carbine over $1K (my budget is lmited to what I can make off the sale on my 9mm AR, which I would think is around $800-850), so it looks like Bushmaster and CMMG are out of the running. I handled a superlight DPMS and really like it, but they don't have the chrome lined barrels.

Damn, I would be more than willig to pay an extra $40-50 to get the DPMS with chrome lining, aargh...DPMS, why can't you get up to speed? Of course, $775_tax for a copmlete rifle NIB at Rguns (I live very close, have always had good dealings with them) is just damn hard to beat.

Other option I am considering is DPMS lower + Cavarms middy upper. Or the DPMS lower + a Model 1 Sales superlight (shudder) becuase i can get it with chrome lined bore and even a chrome bolt carrier just like I want for a couple of bucks less than the complete DPMS.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. Any comments are welcome.

Dawg
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:50:01 PM EST
I know you didnt want to build, but slapping a lower and an upper together IMHO, isnt truely building. So, email CMMG to see if they can do a 16" lightweight upper. I just checked their site but didnt see it, however I am pretty damn sure I've seen it on there a few weeks ago.

Anyway, complete upper from CMMG=$525-$550
Complete RRA lower (LPK, grip and stock) from Adcofirearms.com=$275

You have a complete gun for around $800. Watch the EE for an affordable sight.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:56:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:02:52 PM EST
Colt and Olympic. I recomend the former over the latter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:05:23 PM EST
del-ton and jt distributing offers a true .625 lw bbl but i think with delton you have to call it in.

i would go with a bushmaster myself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:18:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
del-ton and jt distributing offers a true .625 lw bbl but i think with delton you have to call it in.

i would go with a bushmaster myself.

My barrel posted above was from Del-Ton. My sons lt. wt. barrel was from J&T and it is the true .625 dia.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:40:34 PM EST
eagle makes a really nice super light upper. I have one for my dissy.

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/ef_uppers.htm
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:29:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stickman:
Why not put an ad up on the EE looking to trade your 9mm upper for a LW 5.56 upper?

LOL, well, I need a lower to go with it, but damn good idea...I'll see if someone wants to swap or partial swap for the entire 9mm rifle.

Hey, thanks guys, I appreciate all teh responses. J&T's wwebsite isn't running but they have the catalog which I will dowload and check out. Looks like Eagle is out of stock, but the lightweight chrome lined barrel is good to go and I trust Eagle- have ordered from them before and their prices and service are excellent.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:45:00 AM EST

Dawg

I want a link to that!

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:16:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 6:17:08 AM EST by QUIB]

Originally Posted By RRA0211:

Dawg

I want a link to that!

A link to what?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:53:14 AM EST
I just came back from a Final Option carbine course. Another student and I were both issued brand new unfired DPMS lightweight 16 inch carbines. In two days we put around 1600-1800 rounds through both of them with ZERO malfunctions. They were never cleaned during the entire course, but at the beginning of day two I did give each one a good squirt of lube in through the ejection port. All they needed to run with Federal ball. Practical accuracy was fine and I liked the way they handled. I did have a problem with a DPMS Magonel (or however you spell it) BUIS. It would drop during a string of fire.....had to run some electrical tape around it to keep it up. Also had a EOTech die on the second day (why I was running the BUIS).....shit happens.....

DPMS lightweight? two thumbs up from me.......
Top Top