Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 11:22:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 11:24:29 AM EDT by CBR900]
Like the title says, I need a stripped, flat-top upper that does NOT have and forward assist AND does not have a brass deflector.

When I searched the Industry forum, I located THREE companies that make rifles with these types of uppers, but NO companies that would sell such a stripped - at leas none that listed the upper for sale as a seperate part. The companies were:

-Bushmaster (carbon or aluminum - either would be OK, but its NOT listed as a part)
-DPMS. Why not listed for sale as stripped upper?
-JP.

So - question is: who will sell me one? EDIT: FLAT TOP NO F/A and NO BRASS DELECTOR.

How do I buy it, who do I have to talk to or call up on the telephone, what part number? I just want the stripped upper - that's it. Its been frustrating trying to buy this part. Thanks for any help anyone has to offer.

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:28:54 AM EDT
This upper would work (yes I realise that the gun pictured is a 9mm); I am building a 5.56/.223 rifle and DO NOT want an F/A or brass deflector. This upper would appear to work as long as there is a hole for the gas tube.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:34:46 AM EDT
So would this DPMS part available for a $35 upgrade:

So why is it not for sale as a part? Confused . . .
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:39:58 AM EDT
Is that DPMS receiver forged or extruded?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:03:15 PM EDT
Not sure - though I seem to remember seeing the raw, 0% forgings for these over on the RoderusCustom.tzo.com builders site so it could be forged. Any idea how to buy just the stripped upper? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:50:06 PM EDT
jp rifles

these things cost money, but they are super!

septic tank

i thought i read somewhere that mega machine was doing that as well... can't verify it though...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:00:14 PM EDT
Thanks for the link, Tank. And the upper I am looking for is for use in 3gun. However, I want to keep the $$$ down and I have a RRA mid length SS barrel that shoots like no tomorrow - so the plan is to JUST swap out the upper I have for one with NO f/a and no brass deflector (with a slight mod by yours truly). Otherwise, just buying a JP would be a good way to go. I also need a Cooley comp. Here is a photo of the gun that the plain sided upper will be installed on:

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:08:00 PM EDT
DPMS sells their Lo-Pro upper. Part # FTT-LP. Or you can get it from Brownells part # 231-015-111
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:27:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 2:28:44 PM EDT by eddiein1984]
RB Precision has the best price I've seen on the Lo-Pro uppers. Midwayusa also sells them. They also pop up on the Equipment exchange once in a while. They are extruded and are .030" higher than a milspec flattop.

Just out of curiosity, what advantage does eliminating the deflector and forward assist have for 3-gun?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:30:00 PM EDT
Excellent info hiredgunr and eddiein1984; that is EXACTLY the info I was looking for; will order the Lo-Pro right now if they are still open. BTW - I plan to mill it for use witht he fulton side-charging handle bolt carrier - thus, the need for the plain side to clear the new charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:56:31 PM EDT
Called them but they were closed for the day; will heat up the cridit card tomorrow. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:22:06 PM EDT
Les Baer makes an upper like you want. It is even forged. The DPMS is heavy.

Expect to pay $125.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:56:19 AM EDT
Thanks Jack - I found it on their site & its $129 though it won't work; I think this is it:

Its true the there is no FA but the brass deflector would have to be milled off too, plus its $30 over the cost of the DPMS; but thanks for the heads up on the weight; I wish that there were some way to buy the stripped Bushmaster plastic upper pictured above. However, I'm about to order the DPMS by phone; thanks again everyone. CBR
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:10:36 AM EDT
I just noticed that PK Firearms has the Lo-Pro receiver for $95.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:29:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:51:22 PM EDT
Yes - that would work too.

I plan to take a mill to the upper as soon as it arrives; I also ordered the part from here: www.fulton-armory.com Specifically, I bought the carrier which comes with a side-charging handle for use in Competition. Why? 3 reasons:

1) Some staged start w/ an empty chamber. Maybe the side latch will be a little faster. 1/2 second maybe? Fast enough to make a difference in competition. We'll see.

2) Rack bolt w/ rifle still on shoulder. Again, speed.

3) Rifle might be "propped up" on a hard surface - this is another common start in 3 gun. On pistols, we call such things "kick stands" or "slide rackers".

Going to have to mill a slot into that upper. The less there is in the way (such as trapdoor bosses) the better. Thank you again everyone.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:50:20 AM EDT
Update - I looked for a picture on the Fulton Armory website showing their charging handle carrier and modified upper. No luck. Will have to try to post my own pictures in a few weeks when the parts arrive. Thanks again to everyone here who helped out with links and info on hunting down the parts I need; this board is the best!

CBR
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:41:42 PM EDT
parts arrived from RB & fulton today; good fast service from both. Will post progress. CBR out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:50:56 AM EDT
MidwayUSA has a DPMS slickside flat top for $114 in stock. I have one and love it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:10:53 AM EDT
I just went through the same thing.

I wanted a slickside flat top upper for my lightweight AR15.

I bought the DPMS lopro, it's built like a fucking tank.
Sold it to CavVet, he used it for a AR pistol project.

I ended up buying the Les Baer no FA upper.
I also bought the A1 removable carry handle from CNC Gunsmithing.
It works great.

Here are my two lightweight AR15's together.

If you have any questions ask away.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:28:35 AM EDT
Where did you get the lightweight carbine barrels from? Are they off a Colt or are those Bushmaster Superlites?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:36:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eddiein1984:
Where did you get the lightweight carbine barrels from? Are they off a Colt or are those Bushmaster Superlites?

The top one is a Bushmaster lightweight 16 inch "post ban" that I had cut down by Kurts Kustom and then had the Vortex permently mounted.

The bottom one is an Olympic Arms 16 inch pencil barrel.
I am thinking of having it cut down too, but this time by ar15barrels.com.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:57:33 PM EDT
Who makes that lower with the atomic symbol on it?

Looks cool.

I'm thinking of making a lightweight plinker as well.

Trying to do it on the cheap.

-K
Top Top