Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2005 1:54:20 PM EDT
I am an Aimpoint user myself and currently have a Aimpoint Comp ML2 paired with the LaRue Tactical M68. However, while looking at how to zero my sights for different ranges, I came across a distrubing line on the following website:

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/aimointm68zeroingmethod.msnw

Here is the part if you are not one to read:

However, at ranges of 25 meters and closer, parallax exists and the shooter must ensure that the red dot is centered while zeroing. The aiming method (two eyes open or one eye open) used to zero must be used to engage targets (both eyes open is HIGHLY recommended).

Wha?

So if I sighted my sight in with an eye closed, my sight will not be on target if I shoot with both eyes open? Or if I sighted the Aimpoint using both of my eyes open, and then shoot with an eye closed on one occassion, the round will not impact where the dot is. WTF?

I frequently do drills at 25 yards so parallax does exist. I never knew that. I really need some help here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it just means that the POI will move a bit at ranges less than 25m. I don't know how much, but just make sure you have a consistent cheek weld and you should be close to POA.

Just my $.02

BTW, EOTech has the same "problem".

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
... As I just discovered in my "Eotech Parallax" thread. :)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If your shooting Dimes at less than 25m than yes there is a problem for you You have the wrong Optic and the wrong weapon. (send them to me )
If your shooting anything else at that distance, IE..... Human size tagets, It doesnt matter, it will get the job done fine,  relax,  and have a Beer.
chuck
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If your shooting Dimes at less than 25m than yes there is a problem for you You have the wrong Optic and the wrong weapon. (send them to me )
If your shooting anything else at that distance, IE..... Human size tagets, It doesnt matter, it will get the job done fine,  relax,  and have a Beer.
chuck

Yeah your right.

I guess the pop cans can't tell the difference, expecially when you got 24 of them blowing up in about 16 seconds . Just kinda wondering about what I read thats all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a tiny amount of paralax but nothing to worry about.  That's just for zeroing.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
No, one eye or two eyes while sighting in has nothing to do with hitting things with one eye or both eyes after zeroed.  Sight in with one eye.  Use it or both to shoot.  If you close the cover to the aimpoint and turn it into an OEG then you will have the same POA shift as a BAC ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thought everyone knew this??? This is why you ALWAYS zero your optic @ 50yds!

C4

+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

C4

It isn't exactly advertised on Aimpoints website. But they sure do make mention of the battery life and extreme ruggedness of the optic. (I own an Aimpoint, I just wasn't aware of this fact).

ETA: Took the extra "L" out of exactly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm always surprised by what I don't know.

I always thought the 50yd zero was purely for trajectory reasons.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top