Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2013 2:19:37 PM EDT
I just picked up my new PSA lower that I got from a private seller on the exchange a few weeks ago. It's a brand new lower that was built on a Daniel Defense LPK, which appears that some of the parts are used but otherwise seem to be in excellent condition. I have not installed a buttstock or upper to it yet, but playing around with the selector switch I did notice something. When I move from "safe" to "fire" and back something seems off. It's not very smooth at times and sometimes the selector switch will get hung up a little when going from "fire" to "safe". And unlike my RRA lower, when moving the switch from "fire" I'll hear a weak "springy" click and when it reaches "safe" I'll hear another click that just sounds off. I never installed or dissambled a LPK before. Any suggestions or thoughts? Hope that made some sense....
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid question, but you moving the lever with the hammer cocked right? I'm sure you know that if the hammer is up, the safety selector will not rotate properly. Just checking.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The selector shouldn't go to safe at all if it's not cocked
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stupid question, but you moving the lever with the hammer cocked right? I'm sure you know that if the hammer is up, the safety selector will not rotate properly. Just checking.

I know that :)  But thanks for checking.  It seems to be a little better after moving the switch back and forth a bunch of times but something is still not  right.... hmm...
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the grip off and make sure it has the correct safety detent and spring.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Also,

Check the spring for bends...sometimes when installing or removing the handgrip the spring can get bent...

Make sure you take I completely out of the grip...and inspect it...

Also, check the detent..I've seen them installed upside down a few times...

Pointy end goes towards the selector...

Lastly inspect that detent for corrosion or forgone materials and wear...

Bret
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I'm taking it apart now. I never done this before but I think I can figure it out :)
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I took it apart. Everything just fell out and I wasn't able to tell it it was orginally installed properly, but after putting it all back it works much better now! Thank you! :) Maybe it was justu originally installed wrong or there was some dirt or something in there? But whatever the problem was, it was fixed:)
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd guess that the detent was upside down, OR the spring was incorrectly inserted before the detent, and was contacting the selector, instead of the detent.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
My bet was the detent...

I've seen many detents upside down...

I've even done it too...

Working on assembly and the magpul moe grip is so fing tight you now have to either clamp it in the vice to work on it...in the mean time you end up dropping the damn spring and reach down to pick it up...the the detent hits the floor...

You know the moe grip dance...

Sometimes there is a few cus words and maybe a bitch at the magpul gods...etc..

In the mean time you now just put it in the vice and sometimes depending on how pissed just throw it all together...look at the bench and see the detent there...

With you hand either hurting or even blistered and bleeding because magpul puts so much locktite on thier bolts it takes either king kong or the hulk to turn in the screw enough to get it tight...you have to now take the locktited in damn screw out again...

You know...the average...late night build...

So, end up saying f it and have a scotch insted...

At least that's how some of my builds go...

I keep spare parts for a reason...but haven't launched a takedown detent in a few years...I guess I'm due!

I only wonder...where do you get spare hands...after two to three grip changes my are toast...

Anyhow, now quit laughing you know everyone has had at least one thing totally as bas ackwards...

So, my take on things...

Bret

P.s. to the op...glad its running good...and you mom told you to not take things apart cuz they were assembled by professionals...you showed her
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top