Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 2:30:19 PM EDT
This is a bizarre issue.  My 300BLK journey started over a year ago with a long time coming build that I've put no more than a 100 rounds through.  At first, I was having issues with the cartridge getting stuck in the barrel (and not firing) then I started having issues of also having cases with the primers getting completely blown out.

I tried some things like replacing the bolt/BCG, different ammo, etc. same issues.  Then started thinking what would arf say in response?  Check the headspace.  Well before I did I noticed a peculiar barrel obstruction.  It LOOKS like the walls of a case.  The two rings that are catching the light I presume are the beginning of the neck and the end of the case.

I know the pictures aren't the best, but they show clearly something in there.  I used a .30 cal bore brush and goes through fine, so whatever it is its a small enough obstruction, but its obviously jacking the pressure WAY up.

Any ideas on what's in there and how I can fix it?  Is it safe to say the barrel is toast? Its a Noveske so I'm hoping that's not the case

(Click to enlarge)

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
what ammo?  I recently had the same issue...problem was the ammo (it was remans).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My most recent range trip and the trip that led me to say ok, something is screwed up!  was Fiochhi.  Prior to that. It was two types, first was Remington 115gr(not positive, but know it was Remington) and the second I'm not sure.  I believe its a factory load.  The case was marked "R-P 300 Blackout".

Regardless changing ammo wont do anything this point since there's something in the barrel..presumably a case with the bottom of it blasted off.  I'm trying to figure out what I can do going forward short of turning my barrel into a baton.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think that if it were the remains of a fired case another round would not feed and chamber correctly. Maybe the chamber is just fricked up? Chrome plating coming off? I'm truly pulling these ideas from my arse.

Could a chamber reamer be run in there and try to clear it up?

edit:
is the barrel or is the chamber the issue? pics look like chamber is ugly
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That's just dirty lube that I didn't clean off, its not that ugly  I guess I'm dumb though.  The initial opening..are you calling that the chamber or the barrel?  That's where it starts and then goes the length of a case roughly.  I don't know how in the world it would chamber a round and I don't intend to find out again, but I dont know what to do about it either.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chamber brush with CLP, used by hand will resolve that problems; and should be used every cleaning as well.

If it not fouling in the chamber, but a broken piece of a spent case, then single one piece cleaning rod down the muzzle, once it out the back side of the receiver, put a 30 cal brass brush on the end of the cleaning rod, pull the brush inside the split piece of brass up to around the neck section of the brass, then give the end of the cleaning rod a sharp blow to drive both the brass brush and spent split piece of brass out of the chamber.

Hence where you pull the brush inside the split case, the  brush bristles are going to angle back to get a good bite on the inside of the brass, and hold onto it as you drive the brush and the brass back out of the chamber (towards the back end of the receiver with just the upper off the lower and in hand alone).
View Quote

Tried that just now.  Was hoping it would work.  I hope my understanding is right, there should not be the two little rings in the chamber like pictured, correct?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It's hard to see a broken case that's stuck in the chamber, even in person.

Your photos seem to show just that (a broken case with the rim torn off).

They usually aren't stuck in there very hard, but the only ones I have ever had to remove were 7.62 X 51 from my Springfield M1A (hot reloads).

They make broken shell extractors (I have USGI 5.56 and 7.62 versions).  

Don't know what to do with a .300BO.  You could try a steel cleaning rod with a .45 brass cleaning brush attached.  Once you verify that it's a stuck broken case, jam the .45 brush up into the broken case, and pull it back with the cleaning rod.  Hopefully the brush will hold onto the inside of the case well enough to remove it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's hard to see a broken case that's stuck in the chamber, even in person.

Your photos seem to show just that (a broken case with the rim torn off).

They usually aren't stuck in there very hard, but the only ones I have ever had to remove were 7.62 X 51 from my Springfield M1A (hot reloads).

They make broken shell extractors (I have USGI 5.56 and 7.62 versions).  

Don't know what to do with a .300BO.  You could try a steel cleaning rod with a .45 brass cleaning brush attached.  Once you verify that it's a stuck broken case, jam the .45 brush up into the broken case, and pull it back with the cleaning rod.  Hopefully the brush will hold onto the inside of the case well enough to remove it.
View Quote

Will a .30 collet fit onto a 5.56 extractor body? I honestly don't know and that's the only way i could see a broken shell extractor working unless someone is making them for 300 now which i also don't know. Just wondering for the knowledge bank.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Use a tap just larger than the inside diameter of the stuck case. Cut threads in a ways using the tap, then grip the tap with vice grips ans use it to extract the brass.  Probably be a good idea to soak it in a light oil overnight first to (hopefully) get some oil between the case and the chamber wall.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:37:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top