Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2004 5:25:18 PM EDT
I have yet to invest in extra mags but the alunimum issue that came with the gun has to be slammed in like a highcap 9mm. What might be causing this? Gun has been kept spanking clean.
Could it be related to the bolt drop? Ive noticed it slam shut without contact. Help much appreciate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Its the magazine. No problems when I remove 5 rounds from the 30.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I always have to slam a full mag in if the bolt is closed, it is just second nature to me now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Your hi-cap 9 has a spring.....so does your AR magazine.  Load both springs up under pressure and they will act the same.  It is simple resistance due to the spring being compressed.

Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Heres how I look at it.

The only time a loaded mag should be inserted into a rifle is at the range or if you use it for home protection.

At the range, your bolt should always be locked open, w/ safety on. For your safety and those around you. So, when you go to insert the mag, the bolt is to the rear and you won't have a problem inserting a loaded 30 round mag. - The top round in the mag has nothing to contact, because the bolt is to the rear.

I had a ND with a Mini14 over a year ago and have changed how I handle all firearms.

*Also, some of the "SA80" mags have a little more metal in the hole cut out for the mag catch/release. If you take a file to the part of the mag that contacts the mag release, it will ease the insertion-release of the mag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats part of the problem-with no mag in the bolt doesnt lock open unless I pull the drop out. If I thenput a full mag in but decide to remove the magazine again, the bolt slams shut on its own. Bear with me I want to learn and understand theAR from the floor up and never have to learn mistakes the hard way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thats part of the problem-with no mag in the bolt doesnt lock open unless I pull the drop out. If I thenput a full mag in but decide to remove the magazine again, the bolt slams shut on its own. Bear with me I want to learn and understand theAR from the floor up and never have to learn mistakes the hard way.

You should just have to push the bottom (Little nub) part of the bolt catch, which will pivot the catch up to hold the bolt open, then the friction of the bolt against it should hold it open until you push the top part (The part that looks like it should be pushed) of the bolt catch.  The bolt shouldn't slam home on it's own unless the rifle gets a good smack.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Bolt slammed shut as soon as the magazine fit in. Did not have to close the bolt manually. This sounds ok?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
When the bolt stop is engaged on the bolt face, the bolt carrier assembly is held open/ to the rear. When you insert a mag, the bolt stop is sitting above any contact point with the mag. It should not slam shut. - Another good reason to make sure your safety is engaged.

Who manufactured the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay. Last question then. No mag, pull plunger back, bolt does not remain safelt open unless i place her btw the legs :0 hold the bolt drop tab in the open position, then pull plunger and the bolt remains open and there is no stress/force on the plunger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#10]
figured it outhThe plunger lock back when the rounds pass the magazine side catch. so the gun is empty  and locked back you need to manualy hold the drop catch. Can you tell im a llitle SLOW at this.
Thanks everyone fot the responses.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
figured it out First  plunger stroke locking only with empty magazine.  Just like an auro 9mm.
The plunger lock back when the rounds pass the magazine side catch. so the gun is empty  and locked back you need to manualy hold the drop catch. Can you tell im a llitle SLOW at this.
Thanks everyone fot the responses.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying but it sounds like your lower receiver is out of whack (The bolt catch part).  Did you put it together?  the spring and detent are installed with the bolt catch?  I got an out of spec bolt catch with my last parts kit and I had to dremel a little material from the flat sides so that the catch would pivot smoothly.  You shouldn't have to "Pull" the catch out, just press it with your thumb while racking the charging handle to the rear.  then you should be able to let go of the catch and it will stay held to the rear until you press the catch on the top part.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
My brain for once turned down the  right streetheThe larger head to drop and i didnt know that like any semihandgun the "slide" release works both ways. I thought that when you put a loaded magazine in and draw the charger back, the bolt remains back and the first round visible and chambered only once you press the release. But like a hand gun the bolt automatically loads the chamber unless you push the slide release up to hold it open. Now hears the part I notice that once the magazine has seven round, the catch space on the
mag shows a round-then my bolt remains back then the bolt will stay open on its and slam shut if shook or  i remove the mag. Thats the part that confused me. My AK bolt will stay open but keep your fingers clear cause technically the slide is not held open buy any safety function. My AR does the same.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Where in Kansas are you? If you are close I can look at it for you. I think you are a bit confused on how this works.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
In Kansas right on the border with Kansas City Mo. 103rd St and State Line. Would be great to met a potention shoot partner.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, thats about an hour and a half or more away. I am in Ft. Riley.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Check your IM.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I live in Olathe Ks we all need to get together.  I have been talking to DM1975 about meeting somewhere to shoot.  Let me know.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm curious.  What manufacturer made this lower?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Its a Bushmaster Preban. The Rifle is an xm15-e2s. I really now think the gun is alright but the things Ive noticed probably are related to the mag-it looks like its been worked on cause the bottm
plate was once pried of. Ill get new one or ten:)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wow, thats about an hour and a half or more away. I am in Ft. Riley.

Heck, probable just under an hour the way people drive in this state although imo I hate KS drivers and Mo drivers for the most part better. Lets blow some brass one weeked-you can go to Cabela's and stock some cheaper ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I live in Olathe Ks we all need to get together.  I have been talking to DM1975 about meeting somewhere to shoot.  Let me know.  

Lets get together.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Marco I IM you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top