Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2003 1:17:06 PM EDT
OK, so every time I see someone talking about sighting in I get confused... my rifles are zeroed on at 50yrs on the "z" position on both rifles' rear sights, how do I adjust for 100, 200 and so on? I've seen a few methods that are differant and don't understand it at all... would I adjust down for the 100 and then back to Z for 200? Please help!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Suggest getting and reading the zeroing instructions that are in each weapons manual. Go to the range and start shooting. Have a spotting scope available. STOP TRYING TO BE SO SCIENTIFIC AND MAKING IT SEEM HARD WHEN IT ISN'T.
Good shootin, JACK
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I dont adjust at all when shooting out to 150 or 200 yards.

Maybe I should, but I dont have a problem hitting my target so I don’t see any need to adjust. I guess if I were shooting past 200yrds I would.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I don't think I'd really be missing targets completely, I'm more trying to figure out where bullets hit at differant distances like if I'm right on at 50 I'll be 1" lower at 100 or what-have-you just for referance, and practice! Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
With a 50 yard zero your biggest source of error won't be the trajectory  - it will be you.

But it breaks down roughly like this:
-1.2" @ 25y
0 @ 50 yards
+1.6" @ 100 yards
+2" @ 150 yards
+1" @ 200 yards
0 @ 218 yards

These are rough and it depends on your ammo and barrel length.  

Jack is right - its easy, don't worry so much.  Unless you're doing bullseye shooting from a bench it isn't worth dicking with the sights...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
One more question, as I've never seen it before... 1 click on the front site is worth roughly how many on the rear? Thanks a bunch guys!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK, so every time I see someone talking about sighting in I get confused... my rifles are zeroed on at 50yrs on the "z" position on both rifles' rear sights, how do I adjust for 100, 200 and so on? I've seen a few methods that are differant and don't understand it at all... would I adjust down for the 100 and then back to Z for 200? Please help!
View Quote

Are you asking about using the A2 sights?
If that's the case, and you really want to do it, though I don't think it necessary, what you could do is:
Zero it at 50yds, then adjust your elevation, and count the clicks, to hit at 100yds. Write it down, repeat until you run out of range, or adjustment in the sights.
This is more commonly done for scopes and at much longer ranges.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top