Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2013 8:44:34 AM EDT
My PSA lower build kit came with a Magpul MOE grip and screw.  I'm not sure if it was supposed to come with a washer or not (it didn't).  I installed it and there is a slight amount of play/wiggle when you pick up the rifle.  It isn't a ton, but just enough to be noticeable.  Is this normal, or should it be a rock-solid fit with no play?  If it is normal, I'll get past it.  If it is not normal... should there have been a washer or can I put a washer in there to firm it up a bit?  I'm not comfortable tightening it any more than it already is... I'm afraid I would strip it if I tried.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
ive always seen a washer on the screw that holds the handle

there should be no play at all,  if theres no washer, get a washer thats meant for it and put it in....take your time, dont lose the spring and detent pin that holds the selector either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one for my lower and I had to file it to get it to fit.. RRA lower. It didnt have  washer, just a long hex screw. maybe check for the last little bit of tightness in the screw?/
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Without the washer, the screw may be bottoming out in the lower.  The pilot hole for the tap is drilled all the way through into the lower shelf, but the threads are never really tapped all the way through.  The normal washer is an external star lock washer, 1/4" diameter.  If for some reason, the threads aren't deep as they should be with the washer, use a 1/4"-28 tap and tap the threads through.  Plan B is to find a 1/4"-28 cap screw that is 7/8" long instead of the 1" that normally comes with the parts kits.  Both the washer and the cap screw can be picked up at the hardware store.

Best of luck!

That is all...

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tip.  Is that 1/4" starlock washer something that I can pick up at a local Lowes or Home Depot?  If so... I'll give that a try.  The play/wiggle is very slight... hardly any movement... just enough to sort of feel it.  Maybe that starlock washer will do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the tip.  Is that 1/4" starlock washer something that I can pick up at a local Lowes or Home Depot?  If so... I'll give that a try.  The play/wiggle is very slight... hardly any movement... just enough to sort of feel it.  Maybe that starlock washer will do the trick.
Yep, they should have them.  Hope it works and you don't have to go to Plan B.  Although if you tap the hole all the way through, you can insert a 1/4"-28 x 1/4" long set screw to adjust some of the take-up out of a standard military trigger.  If so, you'll need to get a shorter cap screw for the pistol grip, like 3/4" long instead of 1".  The set screw can be adjusted up against the bottom of the rear of the trigger plate.  If you do go that route, make sure the safety is installed before you start adjusting.  Twist the set screw up a little, check the slack in the trigger, work the safety through both positions, repeat.  Don't let the hammer strike the lower receiver - use a piece of rubber or leather to cushion the hammer while releasing the trigger.  Also be careful that you don't raise the trigger up enough that it interferes with the operation of the safety.  When it's where you want it, a drop (and ONLY a drop) of green locktite will keep it from moving.  Apply from the top of the lower receiver and let it cure before re-installing the pistol grip.
That is all...

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you sure that the screw is in all the way?  The screw from Magpul has threadlock on it that makes it a bitch to screw in.  I had to screw it in without the grip first in order to get it to completely seat.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you sure that the screw is in all the way?  The screw from Magpul has threadlock on it that makes it a bitch to screw in.  I had to screw it in without the grip first in order to get it to completely seat.

It feels like it is about as far as it could possibly go in without stripping some threads... which I definitely don't want to do.  I made sure that the spring went in straight... so it being bent isn't causing the wiggle.  

I don't recall this screw having any threadlock on it (so I'm not sure if they are using the supplied screw or not in the build kit).  Did you install yours without a washer... or did it come with one and you utilized it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Magpul grips are made to be used without a washer. You really have to tighten it more than you think.

If you are nervous, take off the grip and run the screw in by itself. The Magpul screw has white thread locker on it that can be tough.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
if you are using the magpul provided screw (which uses a bladed screwdriver) remove it and check the threads, it is a yellow-ish threadlocking compound. I generally remove half of it so i can get the little bastard seated

and no washer
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

if you are using the magpul provided screw (which uses a bladed screwdriver) remove it and check the threads, it is a yellow-ish threadlocking compound. I generally remove half of it so i can get the little bastard seated

and no washer

Exactly what he said.  I took the grip off ran the screw up to check, backed it out, gave it some hell with the grip on, and its rock solid. My lower kit is a  PSA Magpul ACS-L Lower Build Kit, with a Magpul MOE Grip, NO WASHER.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with some of the others. Thought I had too much play in my miad grip and did a google search. Turns out it just wasn't tightened enough. Might try running it in and out a couple of times?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Same problem on my build. PSA lower kit in FDE and the screw had that thread lock on it and I didn't want to mess up my threads so I just took it to my finder with a wire wheel and took that crap off. Fit great and nice and tight
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I had this problem with a Spikes lower and a MOE grip. The screw that came with the MOE was a thread too long. So I went back to the RRA LPK screw which was a hair shorter.

There should be no play at all in the grip.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Had the same experience with the PSA MOE kit. I took the grip off then put it back on and re-tightened the screw. Now it's rock solid with no movement. I was concerned I would strip out the receiver threads, but you do need to tighten a bit more than seems comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Honestly out of the 15 plus magpul grips I have installed not one of them had a starwasher.  They have a giant screw that comes with them and you need a
BFSD to get that son of a ditch in all the way as the thread lock on the screw is a PITA.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I ran my MIAD into a Bushmaster lower.  I did not have to remove any tan lock tight, it snugged up nice and tight with minimal effort.  I was puzzled at first removing the stock grip that had a star washer and the Magpul grip did not.  Grip installed nice and tight.

Maybe this is a dumb question but I noticed that some parts of the MIAD did not fit as nice as others on my lower; does your MOE grip top line up well with the curve of the lower receiver?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks to those who mentioned the thread lock.  I took the grip off and tried to screw in the screw without the grip... it made up to a certain point where the thread lock was way thicker than the screw.  I scraped that off and put the grip back on... it is nice and snug with no play whatsoever now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#18]
magpul has had some good years. They are very generous with the loctite. The screw doesn't come with a washer. But you have to scrape off most of the loctite and snug that puppy up!
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Well,

I've had a few Psa kits over awhile...and plenty of moe and maid and moe+ stuff...

Now I may just be used to using my knuckle dragging click type elbow, but haven't ever had this problem.

Now...all my lowers are tapped all the way through...either from factory or myself...

I do a decent trigger job on all my weapon builds...

Now 1/4" bolt would be fairly hard to strip out...you'd never be able to strip that out with a screw driver unles your Lou Fregeno with a bit of green paint...

Just my 2 cents.

Bret
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a used MOE grip from the EE.  Nice fit to lower, good feel, but the cover on the bottom is loose and rattles.  Not very happy with it and thinking of upgrading.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top