Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/26/2004 11:50:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 11:51:01 PM EST by gargamel]
I'm considering getting a RRA entry tactical with a A.r.m.s. 40L. IF i go with a Aimpoint, I don't know what mount to buy that would allow for co-witness. what do you guys recommend I get?

If I got a Eotech/ Arms 40L BUIS instead, would i need a mount on it to cowitness? larue?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:26:28 AM EST
If you are using a red dot, it doesn't matter if it's Aimpoint or an EOthing, then I would suggest a fixed BUIS. The only fixed BUIS in my opinion is the LaRue. No matter what red dot you pick LaRue makes mounts for both of them and I would stick to that also. If this is going to be a range queen though and you just really want a flip up then I would get a Troy. I have a #40L on my SPR and love it but it serves a purpose on that rifle and I don't think they should go on a red dot gun because they default to the small hole instead of the large one and the small hole is harder to see when cowitnessing through glass and it is not as fast the large hole.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:34:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 2:37:36 AM EST by MSTN]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:43:40 AM EST
While Larue must be paying folks to hawk their stuff, IMO the original ARMS equipment still works and looks best, IMO.

The Aimpoint will co-witness perfectly with the ARMS #22M68 and the extension spacer as shown in MSTN's link.

And the EOTech works well mounted on the flat-top, no spacer needed.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:04:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 5:04:45 AM EST by C4iGrant]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:37:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:
Have you used ANY LaRue Tactical mounts? C4

Sorry C4, nope I haven't and won't use one.

First off I think their ugly, secondly they do nuthing that ARMS can't do as all my ARs have mil-spec rails, and third seems they always point out how much better they are than others by denigrating others.

I'm old fashioned; I like the original products not the copies, which ALWAYS have the advantage of making up for deficiencies of the original products because their copies. I tend to be more of a supporter of original thinkers and originators. (not always but the older I get the more I find myself agreeing w/ Ralph “Papa” Thorson who said "new things are no-good")

(btw, I saw your post on the other thread where I've said basically the same thing as here and fwiw I can remove my M68 mounted Aimpoint and replace it in the dark with no problem whatsoever, but then I spent time practicing all manner of field stripping and weapons handling in the dark too, no biggy, just I almost lost my sight once and always felt somethings might come in handy, when your eyes are out of sorts, I only got one good one anyway)

I like Glocks, an original innovative idea; but I dislike the copies and those who hawk them, who/which do the same thing as described above, denigrate the Glocks, ya see it here everyday.

Just rubs me the wrong way..... of course that's just my opinion, others may differ and have every right to, just as I do to mine.

Hope that explains it for ya,
Mike

ps - us red-necks can be funny that way........, heck C4, I even roll my own smokes 'cus I want to KNOW what's IN 'em
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:48:18 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:56:54 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:20:47 AM EST
Point taken. Flip down Buis seem to be unpopular, at least with red dots. Is this just a personal choice? La Rue BUIS with LaRue Aimpoint mount and/or The LaRue BUIS with an Eotech mount is a perfect combination for co-witness. Correct right? I'll give the LaRue BUIS a real good look. I"ll look into this company and support a fellow Texan.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:25:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:32:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:20:26 AM EST
For arguement sake, If i decided to go with the LMT BUIS,what mount would be perfect for the AIMPOINT to cowitenss?

Would the La rue Eotech mount work with an Eotech/ LMT BUIS ?

I want to make sure I get the right parts that pair up to co-witness .
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:35:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 12:37:11 PM EST by jmart]

Originally Posted By gargamel:
Point taken. Flip down Buis seem to be unpopular, at least with red dots. Is this just a personal choice? La Rue BUIS with LaRue Aimpoint mount and/or The LaRue BUIS with an Eotech mount is a perfect combination for co-witness. Correct right? I'll give the LaRue BUIS a real good look. I"ll look into this company and support a fellow Texan.

This is correct (will co-witness together). I am of the opinion that CQB weapons (M4 or other short barreled AR's) are better served by a fixed BUIS (like the LaRue BUIS). In that fast environment, I don't want to look for any release lever to activate my irons. I want them up and ALWAYS ready for action....

C4

Grant,

When EOTech releases their 3.75 magnifier, will the LaRue mount work with a fixed BUIS and the magnifier or will you need to go with a folding BUIS?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:25:48 PM EST

For arguement sake, If i decided to go with the LMT BUIS,what mount would be perfect for the AIMPOINT to cowitenss?

Would the La rue Eotech mount work with an Eotech/ LMT BUIS ?

I want to make sure I get the right parts that pair up to co-witness .

You can still use a LaRue Aimpoint mount with the LMT BUIS.

No the LMT has a longer base.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:30:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By jmart:
Grant,

When EOTech releases their 3.75 magnifier, will the LaRue mount work with a fixed BUIS and the magnifier or will you need to go with a folding BUIS?

From what I gathered from the thread talking about the magnifier is that you will have to take the BUIS off. But that is why the LaRue is perfect because it has the throw levers where the LMT does not. You may even have to take a folding rear off also, who knows until they come out? But you gotta think of this.... Most of the time you won't have the magnifier on and will want that fixed BUIS on there. When you use the magnifier more than likely you will be at longer distances and if something happened you would have time just to throw the LaRue BUIS back on there. So I wouldn't get a folding sight just to use the magnifier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:23:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 9:35:39 AM EST by gargamel]
Thanks for the replies guys. I am thinking about joining the military once i'm done with my college. I was hoping to get some good practice with my 1st Ar-15. Although i'm not to fond of the carry handle m16 used. I thought I'd get a flat top with an Aimpoint. I need to sharpen my iron sight skills and the LMT BUIS looks very close to the type on a carry handle M16 sight. So I figured I'm better off with the LMT.

For practical reasons, I saw they make a mount (A.R.M.S. #16A) to put an Aimpoint on top of A2 Carry handle ars.
Does it look silly and function as good as one on a flat top? ....of course i could consider a removable carry handle (from either bushmaster or RRA) with the aimpoint on it. which route should I take?
Top Top