Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/17/2003 4:37:16 PM EDT
I am ready to go to the range tomorrow and the shoot the dickens out of my ASA 24" national match Lothar Walther barreled rifle with a 1:8 twist. I've been shooting (prox 900 rounds) of 55 gr, and about 50 rounds of 62 gr ammo (S&B). I'm ready to use the 75 gr Black Hills blue box tomorrow. With the 55 and 62 gr stuff, groups have been VERY inconsistent. At least 1 flyer at least 2" out in every 3 to 4 shots, and I've been unable to get MOA at 100 yards. I shot some reloads of 75 gr yesterday and it pulled into less than 1", but there was still 1 flyer... 2 shoots on top of each other and 1 taking the group out to 1". I am expecting too much? I was hoping for 3 shoot groups at less that 1/2". Is that reasonable or am I off the deep end. Could this be a barrel problen with seating in the receiver?Thanks for your guidance.
Gus
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:16:46 PM EDT
After you try the next rd. and if you keep getting flyers, I'd re check to see what ASA claim. If you can't get close to the claim, I'd then send it in for a test by them and pos. a new barrel. Good luck. Jack
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:17:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:16:51 PM EDT
Jack, Same stuff with the 75 gr ammo, 2 on the money and 1 flyer spreading the group out to over 1". Spoke with ASA today and they guarantee sub MOA. I had a trusted Marine Armorer and well qualified gun smith who builds AR's, look at the gun today, and the gas port measures .101, when it should measure .089 at a max. This could very well be the problem, erratic gas in the bbl as well as during extraction. Let me know your toughts. BTW, the spreads happen for me as well as 4 others I allowed to shoot the rifle. My original thoughts was that it was me like Bigbore thought. I'm relaeived that it's not me. Gus
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:42:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2003 6:43:41 PM EDT by sharpshooter33]
I had the same problem with a 24" Wilson barrel. Pissed me off. I found 2 fixes for it. 1st John Feamster told me to try the 55gr Sierra BTHP Game Kings and the 52gr Match Kings. There is less bullet to stabilize and they did tighten the groups up. Don't know about some theory of 24" vs 16" barrel maximum vibration points, but I changed to a 16" Douglas Match barrel by CLE and it shoots REAL good!!! Try a good 55gr bullet. I'm not sure what 55 and 62 grainers you where using, but if it's factory stuff they don't group well in general anyway. 1" with those would be real good. In my 24" Wilson they would group around 1.5 or so. In the shorter barrel they did do better. Cheapest fix. Try some quality 55gr or 52gr loads. I finally retired my 24" Wilson barrel to the back of my gun safe, because the short barrels shot so much better at 200 and in. If your really wanting to get good groups in the 24" with 75grains, your probably gonna have to reload. You will find a load that will out perform the others. If it's not the shooter, your gonna have to tweek the load for peak performance. There are lot's a variables for your particular barrel. Bullet jump/ seat depth, vibration frequency,load variances gas system bug-a-boos, twist rate, etc... For some reason the longer barrel aftermarket barrels Lothar, Wilson, Shaw all seem to like the little bullets better than the long ones. You can get the 75gr and 80gr to shoot well it just takes some work. Unless your going to shoot 300-600 I'd just use the little bullets in a little AR!!![bounce]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:03:07 PM EDT
Thank you Sharpshooter. I visit ASA tomorrow, and I'll have their ideas tomorrow. I value your insight, it gives me some perspectives and a good sounding board is good to have. Thank you again, and Merry Christmas.
Top Top