Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/23/2005 9:21:09 AM EDT
I'm in the process of building a 16" flat top and need to start looking at building the upper. I want a M4 profile chrome lined barrel, and have been shopping around a little and pricing, but wanted some input. What brands or companies should I be looking at for the barrel? I don't need or want a match grade super barrel, but something I can put lots of rounds through and a have a fun accurate shooter. Also, that leads to my next question, when I add the prices together of the parts I'm looking at, I can almost buy a complete assembled upper. Is this the way to go or can I shop around and find better deals on individual parts? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:29:55 AM EDT
Colt
LMT
CMT
Stag
CMMG
BFI
­RRA

All those ought to work for your application. Pretty much in the order I would choose them, too. Have you considered mid length?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:49:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 9:51:12 AM EDT by JackalAR]
If it were me I'd slap a Bushmaster barrel on a Mega or CMT upper if I didn't want the M4 feedramps. If I did insist on the M4 ramps I'd buy one of the complete CMT uppers. Bushmaster uses 4150 MP checked barrels and they are cheap, but only avail. in 1:9 where as I think you can get 1:7 from CMT. I chose 1:9 for 55 / 62 gr. stuff.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:41:13 AM EDT
Maybe you can ask these guys:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=288161

I got my complete 20" upper from them and it is a 1/7 twist.

It looks like they have 14.5" and 20" 1/7 but not 16".
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:55:05 AM EDT
JackalAR, Bushmaster MPI's only by batch, not on an individual basis. I don't know that it makes a difference in the real world, in a barrel of that quality, but it irks me to no end that they mis mark and advertise their product as something it is not.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:57:37 AM EDT
If you don't have the tools, Bushmaster will install their parts without charging you for labor. Just send your upper to them and tell them what you want on it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:05:32 PM EDT
Damn, didn't know that, but that's how my Sabre is, only they didn't mark it as such. I still think they are about the best barrel for the money.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:52:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Have you considered mid length?

It's a possibility, I haven't made up my mind exactly what I want. I want to see what's out there and get some feedback first. Thanks for everybodies input.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:03:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
JackalAR, Bushmaster MPI's only by batch, not on an individual basis. I don't know that it makes a difference in the real world, in a barrel of that quality, but it irks me to no end that they mis mark and advertise their product as something it is not.

No thread hijack intended, but this is no longer true. See here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:29:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By feral:
No thread hijack intended, but this is no longer true. See here.

Not taken as a hijack, it's definately on topic. Interesting.

Originally Posted By JackalAR:
Damn, didn't know that, but that's how my Sabre is, only they didn't mark it as such. I still think they are about the best barrel for the money.

Where did you buy your Sabre? The only place I could find them is Talon Arms, and they're all sold out. The more I'm looking, the more I like their midlength.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:49:23 AM EDT
Top Top