Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/4/2006 5:03:01 PM EDT
Hello all,

I've been considering the purchase of an AR-15 for CMP competition, varmint/predator hunting, as well as some good ol' range time and had a few quesitons. First of all, and most obvious, is whether or not an AR makes a good rifle for the aforementioned activites. I'd like to know what experienced shooters think.
Also, who makes the AR-15A2 style rifle that is the closest to military specifications? What is the current situation regarding the selection and value of AR accessories? I'm no mall-ninja, but may in the future want to swap out the A2 stock for a collapsing model. Would I be able to do this, without any permanent modification to the rifle? And, on a final note, would I be better off purchasing an assembled rifle, or by the parts myself and assembling my own?
Thanks for any and all help,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:34:19 PM EDT
You choice is perfect. An AR does all that and more better than most anything out there,

Bushmaster can make you a rifle very similar to a mil A2.

Some might chime in and mention that Bushy doesn't offer a 1/7 govt profile bbl, but yes, you can order it that way directly from them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:38:43 PM EDT
I just recently purchase my First ar on the EE from Jkiser. I bought a complete upper and lower from him. I was a little uneasy about doing so on the inter but I am very happy with the results
Check his stuff out
This is what I bought
I dont knwo if this is what your looking for but I hope it helps
Complete Upper
Complete Lower
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:50:18 PM EDT
You can swap the stock. It's very easy to do and does not require any perm mods to your rifle.

I bought my first AR-15 (Colt) and the more I read this forum and discovered the wealth of info contained here and the incredible knowledge level of the folks who frequent this site, I decided to buikd my own. So I built a AR pistol and now I'm in the process of building another rifle. It's very rewarding to build your own.

Shopping in the EE (Equipment Exchange) for either new used items is a safe bet.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and don't forget to post pics of what ever you buy/build.

Gene
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:37:57 PM EDT
RRA that is Rock River Arms. I'd suggest that you go with National Match A2. and then pick up a 20 inch Varmit sytle Flattop and mount a good scope on it. at least 10X. pop a couple of pins and swap uppers as that days shooting dictates.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:41:15 PM EDT
Well, tahnks for the information you guys have provided thus far. I will be sure to check out RRA and Bushmaster, as well as the Equipment Exchange portion of this forum. While we're at it, though, anyone else have some thoughts?
Top Top