Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 9:05:45 AM EDT
I use mostly 20 rd mags.  They are all USGI with black followers.  In a normal situation once you hear the "unique sound" that informs you that you've just shot your last round, you drop the mag and slap in another...drop your bolt and you're on your way.

However, I've got a few mags that do not lock the bolt back on the last round.  Therefore I drop the mag...slap in another one and use the charging handle.

Is there anything I can do to correct the problem?  Or should I just throw them away and get new ones?

Edit:  Black followers not green
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you add the green followers yourself? None of the 20s I have use green followers. They are ususally reserved for the 30s. If you have older 20s, you should use the original metal followers the mags came with.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you add the green followers yourself? None of the 20s I have use green followers. They are ususally reserved for the 30s. If you have older 20s, you should use the original metal followers the mags came with.

+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Note newer stright 20's come w/ a black follwer. I do not know if it is the same as the old black 30 follwer.

try replacing the springs on the mags that fail to hold the bolt back.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Ooops...sorry guys...they do have the black followers.  I was thinking 30 rd sorry.  Any suggestions now that I corrected my mistake?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah problem solve the mag.

take a working mag and a non working mag and switch the spring follwers between the mag bodys. If the magazine that was working good now fails to hold the bolt back and the other mag now works.

you need new springs.

if orginal mag still fails to hold bolt back with known working spring from good mag. and good mag still locks back with bad spring. you have other problems either a mag body that is out of spec or a follower that is bad.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like you need to get some new Wolf springs for your mags.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
It just pisses me off....these are all brand new mags.  I shouldn't be having these problems.  Screw it....i'll change out the springs and followers.  If I still have the problems i'll toss them.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It just pisses me off....these are all brand new mags.  I shouldn't be having these problems.  Screw it....i'll change out the springs and followers.  If I still have the problems i'll toss them.

If these are brand new USGI 20 rounders, I suspect that your mag catch needs to be adjusted because the mag isn't being held high enough in the mag well.

Tack
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Or, you are not using ammo that is strong enough to push the bolt all the way back.

Or, you need to lube your bolt a little so it moves to the back of the gun.

Or. the mag is not seating far enough in the reciever to have the follower catch the bolt.

Questions:

1. What is the make of the mag?
2. Will the bolt lock back if you manually cycle the gun with the "bad" mags?
3. Is the "bad" mag fit loose in the lower?
4. Are you sure you have securly locked the mag in the lower?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top