Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 8:38:26 PM EDT
I am mounting an Aimpoint, in an ARMS 22M68, on a Colt A3 upper.  What are the pros/cons of using an ARMS #40 vs. ARMS #38?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If you use an ARMS #38, get the #38ex or the #38S-ex. That will allow you to more forward mount the aimpiont and that is a real advantage. Forward mounting allows for quicker sight acquisition, assists in two eye open shooting, quicker focus, clears your field of view...

Other than that, some folks think using a sleeve protects the flat top of the upper. I can see the point, but I dont know how crucial that is.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks new-arguy.  I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Other than that, some folks think using a sleeve protects the flat top of the upper. /quote]A $190 sleeve to protect a $115 upper?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]
There's no way I'd pay that much for a sleeve.  If I couldn't find a smokin' deal somewhere, I'd forego the sleeve.  I'm not that worried about protecting the flattop.  For me it's about moving the Aimpoint up for co-witness, moving it forward, and having an integral BUIS.  

Speaking of smokin' deals, that sounds like a great price for an upper.  Where would I find it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#5]
That's the price on RRA's web site.  You can probably find them even cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmmm.  Can you tell I haven't been in the market for an upper lately?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe I should clarify--that's for the receiver only.  No barrel, bolt, etc.  When you say "upper" you usually mean the upper half, not just the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Right.  We were on the same page.  Thanks for the clarification though.  Nothing beats clear communication.

"I shoot, then move, and what's that other thing...?"

Thanks for the input folks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top