Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 7:39:41 AM EDT
Hi All, noob here

I got bit by the AR bug a few weeks ago and finally threw down and ordered a new one on Wednesday. I had my FFL dealer order me a DPMS AP4 Panther Carbine, with a chrome lined barrel.

The bad part is DPMS said there's a 5 week wait while they build my gun.

I've already ordered a book off of amazon on the AR and that should be here next week so I'll be able to read up on the workings and breakdown procedures. Plus I'm getting a gun safe so I'll have the joy of installing that after Christmas.

Any suggestions on what else I can do while I wait for my gun to arrive?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Download the military operator manual, print up a copy, and read it over and over.  Some of the things might be a little hard to visualize without the weapon in front of you, but it will make it much easier in the long run.

Congrats, and enjoy your 5 weeks of waiting....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]
1) Read every topic on this forum!
2) Visit all the industry websites to find out where you are going to buying your add-ons and toys.
3) Did I mention read every topic on this forum?
4) Start collecting your ammo and mags.  You have to have those anyway so you can go shoot.  Anything else is incidental to being able to shoot when you receive your AR.
5) Did I mention read every topic on this forum?
6) Figure out what sight(s) you want and plan ahead.  You'll find that the two most common sights here are the EOTech and the Aimpoint.  Advantages to both, go out and handle them. Get familiar.  Read up on the others and check those out, also.
7) Did I mention read every topic on this forum?
8) Find a place to shoot.  Some may limit FMJ or have certain restrictions that may limit your shooting.
9) See Note 1 above.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Download the military operator manual, print up a copy, and read it over and over.  Some of the things might be a little hard to visualize without the weapon in front of you, but it will make it much easier in the long run.

Congrats, and enjoy your 5 weeks of waiting.... hr

This one?

www.fdcc.us/Manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
1) Read every topic on this forum!
2) Visit all the industry websites to find out where you are going to buying your add-ons and toys.
3) Did I mention read every topic on this forum?
4) Start collecting your ammo and mags.  You have to have those anyway so you can go shoot.  Anything else is incidental to being able to shoot when you receive your AR.
5) Did I mention read every topic on this forum?
6) Figure out what sight(s) you want and plan ahead.  You'll find that the two most common sights here are the EOTech and the Aimpoint.  Advantages to both, go out and handle them. Get familiar.  Read up on the others and check those out, also.
7) Did I mention read every topic on this forum?
8) Find a place to shoot.  Some may limit FMJ or have certain restrictions that may limit your shooting.
9) See Note 1 above.hr

You forgot to mention I need to make one of these...In response to your #8 I'm already a member of a great gun range here in JAX. But I guess I could mark renewing my membership as something I need to do while I'm waiting....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Figure out how to clean the rifle....I just got my RRA Entry Tactical. I only waited 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Post an intro in your hometown forum ( If you havent already) and ask for some hands on instruction from an experienced arfcomer.   A bit of free instruction and some tips about what's good and what's crap will help you out alot.   The forum should help sort out who's actually experienced and who's talking BS..... well maybe

Be aware though, BRD ( black rifle disease) can easily mutate into the much more costly NFA BRD.

I almost forgot....  buy lots of magazines, not USA or Promag but USGI mags.   You can find them on the EE or from some of the industry partners/dealers on this site.   I have a few I've ordered from.   I've got at least 40 that I can find and another 20-30 lost somewhere in the house.   I need a few more tho!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Post an intro in your hometown forum ( If you havent already) and ask for some hands on instruction from an experienced arfcomer.   A bit of free instruction and some tips about what's good and what's crap will help you out alot.   The forum should help sort out who's actually experienced and who's talking BS..... well maybe hough,

My boss is a former Air Force firearms instructor so I'm sure he can lead me in the right direction, plus I've got a few gun friends here that I trust. And this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

I know what you mean about the BRD. I'm sure it's akin to Glockitis, which I acquired shortly after I got my G30.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Dont worry, Dr John Moses Browning will cure Glockitis, BRD however is much more difficult to get rid of.   BRD only gets worse, you just cant get rid of it no matter how hard you try.    
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Need extra mags, more mags, and get more mags.
Need to take out a second mortgage for more, more, more, and some more ammo.

Also don't forget accessories: railed handguards, optics, laser, tac light, and custom case for all the gear.

That should help keep you busy for the next 5 weeks.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#10]

You forgot to mention I need to make one of these...

You said for the next five weeks.  Besides, you won't need a sling because you won't want to let go of it for at least five weeks after you do get it. Hell, you'll probably forget about the wife/girlfriend/both! BRD is BAAAAADDDDD (in a good way).

ETA: In my 50+ years of association w DOD instructors of most (I said, most) kinds, they can teach you marksmanship best, but not how to "USE" the AR.  Listen to the guys on this forum.  Many have forgotten more about using the AR than many of us will ever know.

And that's a fact, Jax.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]
And after this never ask this bunch what to do for the next five weeks. You may be surpised, please and dismayed at the responces. All at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a lot of ammo and a lot of mags.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Then inventory said ammo by manufacturer and bullet weight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If no one else mentioned it, buy a lot of magazines and a butt load of ammo.

Welcome to AR.com as well as the happy world of the black rifle. Happy to have you aboard!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Order a parts kit and build one, so you have one by the end of the week to play with while you wait for DPMS to build your other one.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top