Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 2:48:42 AM EDT
Well I just found a place here in the UK that's selling LC M855 for £434.75/1000 (that's $782/1000)
They also have IMI M193 at £317.25/1000 ($571/1000).

You guys don't know how lucky you are.
I think I'll stick with the RG, unless Eric the Ammoman wants to send me over some of that "dodgy" green tip that a lot of you are afraid to buy

Mark
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:58:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Damn.  I am not going to complain about prices any more.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought you couldn't even posses firearms in the UK?

Still that's a little out of my budget restraints.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Damn.  I am not going to complain about prices any more.  

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the numerous differences to being a Citizen rather than a Subject, I suppose.  And the shipping and taxes across the Atlantic have something to do with it as well, Im sure!

And speaking of 'price complaining', arent you guys paying something like $6.50 USD for a gallon of gasoline?  

I posted my 'guess' at why this newer M855 is leaking into the market on a different thread, but have been thinking about something else - maybe a decision has been made for the US Military to go to another round like the 6.8mm, perhaps?  Or production of MK 262 Mod 1 is ramped up enough for the warfighters that front line units are ordering (and getting) it exclusively over M855?  Hmm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 And the shipping and taxes across the Atlantic have something to do with it as well, Im sure!

And speaking of 'price complaining', arent you guys paying something like $6.50 USD for a gallon of gasoline?  

I posted my 'guess' at why this newer M855 is leaking into the market on a different thread, but have been thinking about something else - maybe a decision has been made for the US Military to go to another round like the 6.8mm, perhaps?  Or production of MK 262 Mod 1 is ramped up enough for the warfighters that front line units are ordering (and getting) it exclusively over M855?  Hmm.

Actually, You are right about the taxes and shipping charges, but it's still double what we can get factory American Eagle for example.
Our own Radway Green is roughly half the price of this too, although the place that's selling it is actually charging more for it than LC.
[cough] ripoff [/cough]

We generally pay in ££ what you guys pay in $$ so everything is relative.
Fuel is currently about £4.50/gallon. With a true conversion, that's around $8.10 (1.8 exchange rate), but realistically, it can be converted to $4.50/gallon.
However, our gallon is 4.54 litres, whereas your's is 3.8 litres.

Not so sure about your reasoning on the availability of M855 though.
There's still a need for it and there are shortages, even here

Mark
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I would imagine a large part of your ammo prices are the taxes that are added to the actual cost. Whats the VAT tax on ammo? Same as everything else? That is one reason why the VAT and the like are not something I like. Way to easy for the politicos to double or triple it as a sin tax also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]
VAT is 17.5%
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
This type of price gouging is going on right here in the U.S.A. Shipments of FN's 5.7x28mm ammo have slowed to a trickle, it was readily available, and now it's not so easy to find. And now, you have a whole lot of shitbags selling a box of 50rds for $50 to $100, when they paid $15 for it!!! I'm all for making a quick buck, but people like this should be shot with the ammo they're trying to sell.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Tea parties tend to bring the tax down a little.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tea parties tend to bring the tax down a little.

+1
Don't forget to paint your faces.
We blamed ours on the Indians, you can blame yours on the Scots.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Thing is man, if you can afford to buy and own a military style weapon in Great Britain, you can afford to pay for the ammo!

Same thing with cars over there... The insurance is like 3X, and the price of the cars are 2X... my British pals can't beleive I can drive a Subaru WRX for less then what they pay to own a Peugot 206 (little french car)

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#12]
just courious how are you able to own a weapon over there?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
just courious how are you able to own a weapon over there?

Go to the UK Hometown Forum.

It'll tell you all you want to know

Actually guys, with the exchange rate, it's usuallu beneficial to buy gear and stuff from the US.
By the time it gets here and you add shipping and import duties, it usually costs the same in ££ as it costs in $$.
Best way to do it is take your American price and add 23 1/2 %.

But this company, Conjay Arms, are charging far too much.
No wonder they aren't selling any

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well I just found a place here in the UK that's selling LC M855 for £434.75/1000 (that's $782/1000)
They also have IMI M193 at £317.25/1000 ($571/1000).

You guys don't know how lucky you are.
I think I'll stick with the RG, unless Eric the Ammoman wants to send me over some of that "dodgy" green tip that a lot of you are afraid to buy

Mark

These prices are terrible.  There must be a combination of both taxes and retailers wanting to gouge the buyer.  Still, how do you explain the gas??  Problem is that in England (Our greatest ally), there aren't enough gun owners to demand a change.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top