User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/7/2006 3:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1]
I built these, the SP1 this summer and the XM/CAR15 this fall.

My Stickman attempt at photography

I got the bug to build a retro rifle because of the posts here. I was lucky to already have a Colt slabside lower and BCG. I found a Colt SP1 upper on the EE for a mere $200, new never used.

That started a spiral that made me build a XM177/CAR-15 type carbine. I soon realized that I knew next to nothing about the old ones. I posted and read and researched. While there is no current source for real A1 lowers, we have to make due with what we have.

So after the SP1, I started the search for XM177/CAR-15 parts...These led me to-

Sherluk Some of the best A1 parts I have found. They are excellent in service, with me getting my parts in 2 days or less. I got the barrel assembly and small parts from them.

I got the buttstock and the A1 upper off of the EE for $125 combined. The lower is a RRA lower I bought from a friend.

I also have gotten A1 parts from Brownell's I get the discount, so that helps lower the cost of the builds.

DPMS has A1 parts and 16" lightweight barrels-
DPMS

The XM177 will get a total refinish in Norrell's Colt Gray-Black-Norrell's

Superlight barrels and XM lookalike non-NFA modulators
Bushmaster

Info supplied by members here-

Ekie's M16 series guide

uxb's Armson OEG thread

Xm177 build thread

But, no retro build is complete with out the little things that make it feel like a retro rifle.

I have gotten the Viet Nam surplus, helmet-with the proper Mitchell cover-, pouches, suspenders, new-unissued A1 pistol grips and slings, from-

Moore Militaria

Omaha's Army navy Surplus

The above vendors, I have all bought from and recieved excellent service. These are the links I know, if anyone else has info, please post it.

The below vendors I have not delt with, but are similar to the above vendors-

Old Sarge's Drop Zone

U.S. Collectors Ordnance
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for nice looking rifles.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
is that considerd a Commando barrel?

I didn't see a listing on the site for a XM177
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Good job.

Max
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice AR's.  Nice B&W photography.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Triumph955i:
is that considerd a Commando barrel?

I didn't see a listing on the site for a XM177

Yes this is a Commando barrel...the closest I could get to one..
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
here's my upper and lower that i refinished in norells that will be used in my xm177build

i just sent off my .625 bbl. to adco to have one of total silence's non-nfa xm moderators attatched. like dog1 i too was sucked into the "retro" rifles through the threads posted here.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
here's my upper and lower that i refinished in norells that will be used in my xm177build

img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/xm177/IMG_0638.jpg

i just sent off my .625 bbl. to adco to have one of total silence's non-nfa xm moderators attatched. like dog1 i too was sucked into the "retro" rifles through the threads posted here.

Are you getting one of Tom's slabside carriers? I am for my SP1....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
major taggage! I have a A1 receiver, and barrel, and am working on the rest.....good pics BTW!!

jj
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Major coolness, bro! Love the old Model 601 rifle look. Excellent work.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to all....

If anyone has more links or info, please post....

It would be nice to build a data base of parts for retro builds...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
That is so cool!

I love old school stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Dog1:

i was lucky to find an original parked colt slabside carrier through one of the members here. i did get the non-nfa xm moderator, grenade ring and triangle charging handle from tom though
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]

i was lucky to find an original parked colt slabside carrier through one of the members here. i did get the non-nfa xm moderator, grenade ring and triangle charging handle from tom though

I know you got that one carrier...I thought that was for another build...

I could spend so much money with Tom.....I would be outa of a marriage and a house
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#15]
uxb's xm177 build thread

uxb's O,E.G. thread

also i used a bushmaster .625 bbl. for my build which i got from gds_enterprise

sending it all to adcofirearms for proper gas port enlargment and legally attatching the moderator.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Good looking rifles Dog1! Congrats! [bere]

Great idea on the black and white pic and the gear. Makes for a really nice picture.

I have one more retro to build. An M16a1-clone, and I got the kit from CDNN already. Got the M16 and XM177 clones.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Those are SWEET!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#18]
hey dog1, could you post pics of the ts carriers themselve? considered them before i found mine and will probably need another for my next build.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#19]
Cool rifles and nice pic.  I love the slabside look.

As a related question, how different is the lower for an M16A1 (visually, obviously not the internal fire control parts) from a modern lower?  

ETA: Never mind - saw the answer in another thread
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Black-Tiger:
Major coolness, bro! Love the old Model 601 rifle look. Excellent work.

GREAT work on the lower of the 601.....the Auo Sear detailing and the dimpling in the selector are SWEEEEEET!!!!

GREAT JOB!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#21]

hey dog1, could you post pics of the ts carriers themselve? considered them before i found mine and will probably need another for my next build.

Here it is from TS's website...

My payment is going out on Monday for one...

I'll post a better pic in this thread when I get it...uxb told me that he thinks that TS's carriers are Smith Enterprise carriers.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Bumpage for the night crew..
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#23]

home.insightbb.com/~daniel.boone/wsb/media/1579304/site1030.jpg

Those weapons and picture have been given the highly coveted Stick seal of approval.

Nicely done with the details.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Stickman:

home.insightbb.com/~daniel.boone/wsb/media/1579304/site1030.jpg

Those weapons and picture have been given the highly coveted Stick seal of approval.

Nicely done with the details.

Thank you for the inspiration! I'm still not worthy......but I'm still going to try!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#25]
They look nice!!!

Is the XM177 an A2 lower....kinda hard to tell, but I assume so as it is a RRA.

I too am working on a Retro, but with SBR and all, it will take quite a long time......
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By edwin247:
They look nice!!!

Is the XM177 an A2 lower....kinda hard to tell, but I assume so as it is a RRA.

I too am working on a Retro, but with SBR and all, it will take quite a long time......

Yep it's an A2...I have kicked around the ideal of removing the fence, but I'm still on the "fence" if I really want to try that...

Oh and yes..it's a RRA lower and a PWA upper..
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#27]
man all I need for my wanna-be A1 is the right pistol grip...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Those are beautiful, Dog1

Great attention to detail and authenticity.

I have seen more incredible throw-back iterations here than I thought possible. You guys are good!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Snaps:

Go here- Moore Militaria

He's good people..on thing-He has a minimum $15 order..he's a one man operation.

Get a grip and one of his original issue slings..that will be $15..they are really nice for surplus.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By redfisher:
Those are beautiful, Dog1

Great attention to detail and authenticity.

I have seen more incredible throw-back iterations here than I thought possible. You guys are good!

Thanks Red!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Anyone have a link to this place.  It didn't google.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:45:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#32]

Originally Posted By GreenLantern:

Anyone have a link to this place.  It didn't google.

GDS

DPMS has a 16" lightweight barrel
DPMS
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#33]
tag
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]

GDS

DPMS has a 16" lightweight barrel
DPMS

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#35]

I just gave one away to a board member, but I guess that isn't helping you much.....  On a brighter note, they are usually available for around $5 from most places.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#36]

here's a guy selling one
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#37]

I still have some parts in a box somewhere that might still have a A1 grip...give me some time find it and if I do, you can have it for free...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:51:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snaps] [#38]
coolness. I was just about to order some stuff from that first link.. but i can hang on for a little while

thankya sir... but i don't think i'll break the bank... Just one reason I love this kinda thing over the new fangled bells and whistles guns. I cna do it much cheaper and still have fun
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#39]

coolness. I was just about to order some stuff from that first link.. but i can hang on for a little while

thankya sir... but i don't think i'll break the bank... Just one reason I love this kinda thing over the new fangled bells and whistles guns. I cna do it much cheaper and still have fun

We just moved a month ago...I have to start jockying boxes around in the basement before the contrator starts on the finsihing of the basement.

So I should find it during moving boxes...I hope!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Go here- Moore Militaria

He's good people..on thing-He has a minimum $15 order..he's a one man operation.

Get a grip and one of his original issue slings..that will be $15..they are really nice for surplus.

+1 for MM... he didn't hit me for the minimum order, but then I bought two A1 grips. The ones I got looked almost new.

Time for another Retro Thread!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:42:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#41]

Originally Posted By Lancelot:

Go here- Moore Militaria

+1 for MM... he didn't hit me for the minimum order, but then I bought two A1 grips. The ones I got looked almost new.

Time for another Retro Thread!

I asked him if he had a minimum..he said that he prefers to keep an order at $15..but that didn't matter in my case..I was ordering $50 worth of stuff...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I went to the gun show on Sunday and found a guy selling old Military M16A1 Uppers, complete with bolt Assy. and charging Handle for $350. Damn! I was broke that day and couldn't pick one up.

Drop a lower on it and a solid stock and I would have an AR-15 rifle reminiscent of the M16A1 I carried when in my early Army days.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#43]

I went to the gun show on Sunday and found a guy selling old Military M16A1 Uppers, complete with bolt Assy. and charging Handle for $350. Damn! I was broke that day and couldn't pick one up.

Drop a lower on it and a solid stock and I would have an AR-15 rifle reminiscent of the M16A1 I carried when in my early Army days.

Who made the uppers? That's not a bad deal, if they are not worn out, for a complete upper..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#44]
now that's a nice pic
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#45]

you can get similar from cdnn
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
here is a link to cdnn for sp1/m16 uppers

cdnn investments
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#47]

cdnn investments

does the complete furniture kit come with the Kit from CDNN, including the buttstock, A1 grip? I heard fromm someone that it did,, but I'm not sure?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By gunnut003:

cdnn investments

does the complete furniture kit come with the Kit from CDNN, including the buttstock, A1 grip? I heard fromm someone that it did,, but I'm not sure?

At one time CDNN was offering a free buttstock and pistol grip with a upper, but that may have changed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#49]
A bump with new info added in the original post.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Another link would be:

www.oldsargesdropzone.com

He has a lot of the original stuff.  3-prong FH, bandoleer kits, etc.  I've not purchased from him personally but I have heard and read some positive stuff.

Great pics, hopefully I'll have some of my own to post pretty soon!

Regards,
PatG.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top