Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
...the next time I have a few extra Benjamins. Her first response was, "but I have never even shot one before." My reply, "You will and you'll enjoy it, damn it."

She is only weighs about a buck 'o five, so I was thinking a simple A1 carbine w/a regular stock for its full sized buffer tube and spring. The Oly is about $580 new (with flash hider). Anyone know of any deals for others at this price or lower for a quality weapon?

(I know it's been used before... but nice excuse to buy another gun, eh?)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Build one with her, so she knows more about the rifle, especially if she's never fired one before. She should enjoy learning about it as it's built, and she'll know nomenclature, so the range time will be better spent on fundamentals, and not "push that thingamajiggy".

Building one should save you a couple bucks too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
True... and I thought about building one for/with her, but it seems that the total price for a build would still be about just over $500. If I buy manufactured, I get a warranty. Is saving maybe a hundred bucks worth giving up a free warranty?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Get her Pink & White Tiger stripes

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=272106
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Eeuuwww... Even my wife wouldn't want a pink rifle...

Besides, loaded with frangibles, this would be a defense weapon - not just a range queen. So it's gonna stay black.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Build one with her, so she knows more about the rifle, especially if she's never fired one before. She should enjoy learning about it as it's built, and she'll know nomenclature, so the range time will be better spent on fundamentals, and not "push that thingamajiggy".

but if she's anything like my girlfriend then you gotta baby them constantly with praise and candy! Theres always the satisfaction of your partner actually taking interest and enjoying the same things you do but in most cases that dosnt happen.  Be careful how you introduce them to the shooting scene, it may be the difference between an active shooter, and a nagging ball and chain.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get her Pink & White Tiger stripes

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=272106

I like the picture.  Can't figure out why exatly.  Still haven't seen a rifle in it though.  Hrmmm...

Now if I build one in purple or purple and white, my wife would go for that.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Besides, loaded with frangibles, this would be a defense weapon - not just a range queen. So it's gonna stay black.

Please protect your family with somethingt better than that.

Congratulations on getting your wife involved in shooting, and interested in the AR15.

For home defense, as a first grab, she's already got a Colt Mustang .380, or my H&K P2K, or my 1911 Series 80 - all loaded and ready to go (whatever she feels most comfortable with that day). I should have been more specific, "loaded with frangibles, this would be a SHTF defense weapon". But anyway, that comment was more about color than anything else. Pink rifle =

I would entertain any better ideas you have, if you would like to offer them rather than just taking pot-shots at my plans.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Pistols are defensive, rifles are offensive.
This guy has some great prices on Oly's
http://www.carricozarmory.com/
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I can get my wife to even go to the range with us, let alone get her a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#12]
The A1 stock is nice, but consider her size vs. yours.  A collapsible might still be nice just for the ability to adjust the LOP.

By the way.  For those who need to, don't forget Lauer's new "Diamondplate" pattern.  Get that on the gun before you give it to her and you can always use the excuse that "Diamonds are a girl's best friend."
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The A1 stock is nice, but consider her size vs. yours.  A collapsible might still be nice just for the ability to adjust the LOP.quote]

+1  The one I let the boys use has a M4 stock; it'll grow with them. another +1 on the build.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:
The A1 stock is nice, but consider her size vs. yours.  A collapsible might still be nice just for the ability to adjust the LOP.quote]

+1  The one I let the boys use has a M4 stock; it'll grow with them. another +1 on the build.

Okay - so I'll take her to shoot mine first with the M4 stock. I just figured a full sized stock would be more comfortable for her since she is so small. I mean, I was shooting an SP1 when I was 11/12 years old with a full stock. And she is about the size I was then.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
my old lady is 5'4" 115#.  needs a shorty stock as well, fits her perfect.  the ace entry.
this is hers, with the .50 beowulf upper, not the .223.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
my old lady is 5'4" 115#.  needs a shorty stock as well, fits her perfect.  the ace entry.
this is hers, with the .50 beowulf upper, not the .223.
www.hunt101.com/img/364930.jpg

Yeah - I would make hers a Beowulf too if the ammo wasn't over a buck per...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For home defense, as a first grab, she's already got a Colt Mustang .380,

Please have her upgrade...

I should have been more specific, "loaded with frangibles, this would be a SHTF defense weapon".

Again if you love this woman - get her better ammo than 'frangibles'.  Frangibles are ammo that was designed to disintergrate on steel targets and the concreate walls of a shoot-house; they have poor terminal performance.

Please read the Ammo Oracle before making a selection.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just figured a full sized stock would be more comfortable for her since she is so small.

Think about that - do you think a small woman would be more comfortable with a large stock?

Also defensive shooting isn't done from the bench.  If she wants a fixed stock than either the Stubby stock (from Bushmaster or Rock River Arms) or better yet the Sully stock (from Defensive Edge) would make much better options and be lighter.

The Stubby is the same length as the telestock fully closed.  The Sully is about 3/4" longer (think a telestock on the 2nd or 3rd slot).  Personally I'm a fan of the Sully.  With either you can get a 'H' buffer, and if you want to tame the sharp 'snap' of a carbine length gas system even more get a 'PRI Fat Boy Gas Tube'.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1
Ibuild all my ARs.  It is very easy and with ARfcom you have all the resources you need. All you need is basic small tools, a upper vise fixture (cheap from brownells) and a DPMS multitool (IRRC ~30) Maybe some punches if you don't have, or borrow. then get a parts kit and a lower.  Assembly if a fun little sunday project after that, and you will know everything about the function of the AR and then easily locate and solve and problems you might have.  ITS FUN TOO.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I am too.

Assembling an AR for SHEISLEGEND  

Forest and USMC03 (and a few others) ofered a great deal of valuable input when I decided on what to build.

I went with a Bushmaster Superlight upper.  My RRA Hbar w/ rail is too front heavy for SHEISLEGEND so I wanted to go light.

Also, listen to Forest re: ammo.

ETA: And listen to him re: stock.  I went with a telestock because she is small and keeps the stock short for a comfortable length of pull.  She will not want a full stock.  SHEISLEGEND struggles with my AR when the stock is fully extended.
Consider a stubby, a stubby skeleton or a telestock.  Then go with the telestock.

For "SHTF" I think "front line" SS109 would be a better bet than frangible.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#21]
if you buy all factory new parts... i do not see why a warranty would be an issue. I bought all stag stuff. from different locations. Stag said my warranty was 100% "A" OK.

I agree on the build. let her help and choose the items for her. You should consider a short stock. a .223 doesn't kick anyway. she is so small as it is. Keep the pull under control and get her something that feels right in her hands and arms..

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's hard to beat a .380 for home defense!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yes it would be.  Of course there are better choices than M855 (SS109)  like M193, 64gr Power Point, 68gr OTM, 69gr SMK, 75gr OTM/75gr TAP, 77gr SMK/MK262.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it would be.  Of course there are better choices than M855 (SS109)  like M193, 64gr Power Point, 68gr OTM, 69gr SMK, 75gr OTM/75gr TAP, 77gr SMK/MK262.

Forest, where is a good place to pick up some of those more lethal/more effective rounds?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

pick up a rifle before you ever pick up a pistol, especially when someone is in your home to get you

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pick up a rifle before you ever pick up a pistol, especially when someone is in your home to get you

+1 I think my AR would scare the shit out of the intruder and probally would make him run his ass off... I think he would just die tired.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck, yes.

It has a light, the accuracy, a CQB sight, the capacity and it will do the damage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Forest, where is a good place to pick up some of those more lethal/more effective rounds?

Got a place near you that sells Black Hills?  Their 75gr Heavy Match is the same as .223 75gr TAP.  I get mine from Fulton-Armory.

Black Hills also makes the 68 & 69 gr loads I listed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got a place near you that sells Black Hills?  Their 75gr Heavy Match is the same as .223 75gr TAP.  I get mine from Fulton-Armory.

Black Hills also makes the 68 & 69 gr loads I listed.

Yes, I have some Black Hills currently but not very much of it.

So will my generic 1:9 bbls stabilize this stuff? [the 75 grain]  (I am already heading to the Ammo Oracle because I'm sure it told me but I forgot or didn't understand it at the time).
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So will my generic 1:9 bbls stabilize this stuff? [the 75 grain]  

The only way to tell is to try it out.  All of my 1:9s stabilize it 'well enough'.   Meaning my best will do just under 2" at 100y, the worst will do around 4" at 100y (shot from a bench rest position using a 3x scope).
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For home defense, as a first grab, she's already got a Colt Mustang .380, or my H&K P2K, or my 1911 Series 80 - all loaded and ready to go (whatever she feels most comfortable with that day).

I really hope you are not trying to be smart... It's the only caliber she feels confident in shooting. As I said, the .380 lives with a 9mm and a .45. Her choice. A confident .380 is better than a .45 if the person is to scared to shoot the .45.

(ps - what the hell is up with people who like to quote half a statement and rip on it? Looks foolish)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry - no joy there. With a 6 year old in the house, I can keep handguns much more accessibly safer than any rifle. My hand guns live in a quicky combo flip top box. The rifles are in a safe. Much quieter to grab a handgun than my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I often carry a Mustang pocketlight (alloy frame) , as it's handy and light and dissapears when the  good old 1911 can't be concealed.  But for home defence, I'm grabbing the 1911 or Mr Mossberg.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Eeuuwww... Even my wife wouldn't want a pink rifle... ]

Pink gun snob!!!

My wife's AR:

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Eeuuwww... Even my wife wouldn't want a pink rifle... ]

Pink gun snob!!!

My wife's AR:

www.localnumber69.com/temp/Pink_CavArms_AR.JPG

Uhg... All that thing is missing is some bling bling.

Maybe a 'spiner carrier' that continues to appear to cycle even after the real carrier has finished its job?

Here... I found you a slang for that thang:

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I built my wife an AR (yeah right) with some previous experience from my son growing up and shooting my ARs.

It's very basic.  Bushmaster lower with 6-position telestock (VERY important with a growing boy, plus the wife uses it in further than even an A1 stock).  Bushmaster superlight 16" barrel, Rock River Arms Dominator and EOTech, and a Fobus M33 handguard for mounting a flashlight.  The whole thing weighs 7 pounds, optics and all.  The first time she fired it, she said she liked it better than my Beretta Storm (good thing, since I sold it).  She commented specifically on the light weight and lack of recoil.  

She doesn't go often, but she takes her shooting VERY seriously.  For example, firing her Glock 19 at 25 yards, using the military target with the "scaled" sillouettes, she would get mad if she didn't HIT the 200 yard sillouette with every round!  I told her to be glad she was hitting the paper (less than 8.5x11).  

She prefers irons, so I may take the EOtech off.  

Oh, and BTW, a 9mm has less felt recoil than a .380 due to the straight blowback design of most .380's.  My wife practices with regular 9mm and I load her nightstand pistol with +Ps.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Woah, pink rifle?  Sunglasses please.  I happen to be of the female persuasion but would never show up at a range with something like that!  (well, maybe in blue).  I just got my first AR, a Bushmaster carbon 15 and found the collapsible stock very comfortable (I'm only 5'2") when compaired to the 50 to 100+ year old milsurps I own and put up with because I do not want to bubba them.  I suggest taking her to the store to handle a few.  Nothing like having HER choose what she wants, it's her gun anyway.  Maybe build one with her input.  (let her choose her own sling too he
For self defense, a shotgun and a 357 make the most sense to me (hard hitting and KISS).

Lois
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top