Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2004 4:33:07 PM EDT
and I was told that now minus a stock they have to be treated as a pistol thus requiring me to obtain a pistol "permit  to aquire".  Now I have no intention of paying the pistol fee to take a lower home  that will be made into a rifle, so I'm dragging in an ACE stock to add to the lower so I can walk out with it.  Has anyone heard of this before?  I'm not looking to give the FFL a hard time but just Saturday I bought a stripped lower and no such permit was asked for or required.  Is the FFL doing some CYA here?  I don't think they are doing it for greed since the permit money goes to the state...  I just had never heard this before today.

God I love gun laws!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been told that a new stripped lower which has never been assembled into a rifle or pistol is not a pistol nor a rifle, but that it can be made into either. I can see where they would suggest that you would need to register it or what not. To be quite honest, I would go that route as it provides you with more options in the long run. eg. .223 or 9mm pistol AR platform.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of that B.S. before either.......
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
the dealer is a dumbass.

a stripped lower is the rifle.  it is only a pistol when bought as a pistol.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A stripped lower should be logged in a unassembled receiver.. This is what the ATF told me to do with T/C Contender frames, so I amagine it would apply to ar receivers..
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
repeat after me,

I must find a new FFL
I must find a new FFL
I must find a new FFL
I must find a new FFL

dumbass dealer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My FFL actualy logged mine under long gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking it sounded weird.  Oh well, like I said... I'm not going to argue it with them I'll just bring in my ACE stock and get it done.  I don't think I'll go this route again though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't argue, get the lower out, then ask the dumb ass to show you the paperwork that says it is to be treated as a pistol.  He is just probably giving you a hard time since he isn't making any $$.  It is not a pistol until it is NIC'd as a pistol on the purchase.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Who's the dealer? Picked up a Colt lower with no stock last week here in St. Louis area. No mention of pistol permit...

Mick
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not going to call 'em out on this.  They have been pretty decent to deal with on other things, but I will never again do a transfer with them.  That may be what they had in mind.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]

2  If its not , then hes an idiot

3  I wouldnt buy anything from him.  Hes required to give you the receiver if you paid for it by law and you pass the FFL check.  If your buying it from him, dont pay.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Starting Tuesday in MO you must have a pistol permit from the Sheriff's department to buy a stripped lower. It is only considered a long gun if a stock is attached. This is consistent with the law prior to the ban in '94, or so I have been told.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup, stinks like sheeit.  I reckon I don't care much for pain in the ass FFL's.  There's one here that I won't ever be doing business with again.

I thought the manufacturer registers the lower as a pistol if it's intended to be built as a pistol, then they sell the lower as a pistol (and generally charge pistol money for it).  Am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yup, stinks like sheeit.  I reckon I don't care much for pain in the ass FFL's.  There's one here that I won't ever be doing business with again.

I thought the manufacturer registers the lower as a pistol if it's intended to be built as a pistol, then they sell the lower as a pistol (and generally charge pistol money for it).  Am I mistaken?

I believe this has to do with MO state firearms law.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top