Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/20/2003 7:10:25 AM EDT
It's a Rock River Arms 18" varmint upper to build my first AR15 with (purchased from ADCO). I'll be ordering a RRA National Match lower to complete the rifle. I think by purchasing the upper and lower seperately I will have saved myself well over a hundred dollars (now I can buy goodies). I'm going to get the 1" high scope rings and I need some mags.

What is the best place to pick up quality mags on the cheap (cheap shipping too)?

I also have an ATN night vision scope I'll be occasionally mounting to the rifle. This scope doesn't allow very much eye relief, so I need something that will allow me to mount it further to the rear. I need some kind of rail that will extend over the buttstock. Any suggestions?

Since I'm buying the upper and lower seperately, are there any other parts like pins or tools that I need to make the hook-up?

Thanks, J
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:54:32 AM EDT
Buy mags here on the Equipment Exchange. Only get USGI mags. If you're shooting from a bench or prone constantly, get some 20 rounders since they don't stick out so much. I've 5 that I use for my Varminter, and they all perform flawlessly. Expect to pay $15-$20 per mag. No tools needed for putting the upper on the lower.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:15:18 AM EDT
Congratulations on your first AR. Since this is your first AR, I'll ask a dumb question. Have you ever shot an AR? The reason I ask is your statement about needing to mount the scope over the stock. For a proper check weld, you should place your nose close to the charging handle. Many people put their nose ON the charging handle. Anyway, my point is the ATN scope should mount to the flattop without needing any kind of rail that places the scope so far back that it's over the stock. I've never even seen any such rail. What kind of eye relief does that ATN scope have? What other optics do you plan on using with the rifle? I've got a lower sitting in the safe waiting on my Varmint upper (been on order since late August). Be sure to let us know how your Varminter shoots. One more thing, regarding your lower. You might save a few more bucks by purchasing a stripped lower and building the lower yourself. It's a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:38:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/22/2003 6:40:49 AM EDT by GI-J]
Thanks Bookhound! Yes, I have shot AR's on occasion and absolutely love them. My only experience with my ATN night vision is mounted on my Ruger .22 Hornet Varminter (a very full size rifle for the small caliber). So I'm sure you're correct and I won't need any sort of extension. The ATN scope has one of those rubber eyepieces on it that you have to put your face in contact with. I also have a Bushnell 4-12x variable objective day scope that I always used on the hornet. It has been a better scope than some of my $500 Leupolds! I have thought about assembling the lower off of a stripped reciever to save some money. I just might do that. What tools will I need for assembly? I'm really interested in seeing how the 18" performs. I didn't want to loose all of the velocity by going to a 16" and didn't want to pack the 20" miles through the woods. The 18" seemed like a nice compromise. What length did you go with? Thanks, J
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:49:44 AM EDT
I got the 20", but I'm now wishing I had gone with an 18" as well. I can't shoot those scopes with the rubber eye-piece. I'm just always affraid it's gonna poke out my eye. [BD] The ATNs are nice though. I'm convinced assembling the lower is the way to go. You will save some money, but not necessarily a ton. I like being able to customize things and also buy the parts over time so I'm not throwing down a huge chunk of change all at once. To build the lower you'll need some roll-pin punches, a hammer, a block of wood (like a piece of a 2x4) and maybe some needle-nose pliers. And extra set of hands is helpful. I also use a razor blade to help put in the pivot pin detent. At most you might have to buy a few roll-pin punches. Maybe a buddy has some you can borrow. I've got the Jewell 2-stage trigger in my lower, but think the RRA NM trigger would be fine and a LOT less money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:04:01 PM EDT
You know, I'm feeling the weight of this upper and I'm wishing the barrel were fluted. hopefully the thing balances well with the lower attached.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:21:26 PM EDT
Yep, I'm glad I've got a Harris bipod waiting for mine. I bet it is heavy. [:D] I knew this wouldn't be the AR I'd want to take on a 10-mile hike in the woods though. The weight should make it more stable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:48:18 PM EDT
I bought a couple of these mags after several hours of research. I hope I made a good choice: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=182094&page=1[/url] The weight might not be as bad as I think once I have the whole thing together. I need to order my lower asap so I have it the next time I go to the farm. What is the appropriate lubrication for AR's?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:44:56 PM EDT
Yep, those should be good mags. Regarding lubricant. Most of us use Breakfree CLP (Clean Lubricate Protect). Use it to clean your AR, including the bore. I still sometimes use Hoppes #9 in the bore. Make sure to leave some CLP in the proper places. For example, before I shoot I put a few drops in the holes on the bolt carrier and work the charging handle a few times. Anyway, procedure is one thing, WHAT to use is another. Stick with the CLP and you'll be fine.
Top Top