AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 9:09:53 AM EDT
2140 rounds for $656 or so bucks.

1000 ae .223 55gr
840 M855 strippers in bandoleers in one can
200 Federal Match 77gr
100 red tracers for fun.

Plinkin down in TX this summer will be lots o fun so why do I feel bad about buying ammo? M855 is SHTF ammo only.

What gives
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
because you just spent 500 dollars on stuff that is going to vanish into thin air.

(I have the same problem)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Because for plinking, you could have just as much fun with WOLF and have $415 still in your pocket.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Are there any places that buy spent brass?  It would be nice if you could sell the once fired brass and get a little bit of a return on it.  Kind of like returning glass bottles back to the distributor and getting a 3$ off.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
because you just spent 500 dollars on stuff that is going to vanish into thin air.

(I have the same problem)

I think that is what bothers me most about buying ammo.  It's gonna be gone someday.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Nah, it's because you could have bought a designer handbag with that $. It's GUILT, you dog.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
2140 rounds for $656 or so bucks.

1000 ae .223 55gr
840 M855 strippers in bandoleers in one can
200 Federal Match 77gr
100 red tracers for fun.

Plinkin down in TX this summer will be lots o fun so why do I feel bad about buying ammo? M855 is SHTF ammo only.

What gives hr

seems to me that you've visited Ammoman.
i just bought a can of the M855 myself.
as for the AE 55gr, that's great plinking/target ammo.  i use it all the time.

as to why you feel guilty?  there's no reason to feel that way.  
well, maybe if you shoot all 1000 rounds of the ae in one afternoon, then you can feel guilty.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
James Brown

naa just send it to me.... I'll dispose of it for you....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Because you didn't buy enough?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Because you didn't buy enough?

this is what im thinking
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
855 for shtf?

Boo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
855 for shtf?

Boo.

Yeah, because it doesn't kill people.

I just love all the anti M855ers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
855 for shtf?

Boo.

Agreed.  M855 fragments very well, nearly equivalent to M193, it's fragmentation range is just lower because it's a slower mover.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
^^^and M193 is fully stocked everywhere!

/s

the last time i checked, M855 still puts holes into things
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
You could of bought a XD45 & ammo for that price............
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
855 for shtf?

Boo.

Agreed.  M855 fragments very well, nearly equivalent to M193, it's fragmentation range is just lower because it's a slower mover.  

If a handgun round failed to expand at the rate M855 failed to fragment inside its fragmentation velocity threshold, the pistol round would be called shit and noone would use it.  Consider that fact for a moment and put M855 into propper perspective.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
855 for shtf?

Boo.

I use it over to kill insurgetns so why not?

I have another 1680  at my parents placein WA. I am stationed out of Germany so no guns or ammo for me
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Because for plinking, you could have just as much fun with WOLF and have $415 still in your pocket.

I will never ever usa WOLF in my weapons.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
855 for shtf?

Boo.

If a handgun round failed to expand at the rate M855 failed to fragment inside its fragmentation velocity threshold, the pistol round would be called shit and noone would use it.  Consider that fact for a moment and put M855 into propper perspective.

The only thing we need to put into perspective is the need for diversity in SHTF ammo.  Everyone should have hunting ammo and several kinds of defensive ammo.  M855 plus M193/Q3131/etc would be a basic stash.  Throw in some Winchester Power Points for getting food and your pretty much set.

Shok
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#20]
You should feel good about having that much "play" money, unless... you really don't.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
855 for shtf?

Boo.

Look, I don't know what expands and when.  I could be wrong but I'm under the impression that Handgun HP's aren't all that reliable either.  But nevertheless, would you agree that if an M855 bullet wouldn't fragment at say 50 yards out of a 14.5 barrel, it would still probably yaw?  

I know M855 isn't the most popular, but to say it isn't deadly is I think over stating.  Just my opinion.    I wouldn't feel undergunned with M855.  But I could just be an ignorant imbocile.  My views have been called that many times on here.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#22]
go and get shot w/ m855 and tell me if you could tell the difference.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Look, I don't know what expands and when.  I could be wrong but I'm under the impression that Handgun HP's aren't all that reliable either.  But nevertheless, would you agree that if an M855 bullet wouldn't fragment at say 50 yards out of a 14.5 barrel, it would still probably yaw?  

Hmph. Sounds like your info re. handgun HPs is a leetle out of date.

Since the Miami shootout the FBI has conducted extensive testing and evaluation of what makes (and what prevents) handgun HP bullets from expanding. The current trend is toward a round that has a polymer 'bb' in the nose. The polymer 'bb' assists in feeding (because it resembles the 'ball round' shape of the round the gun was designed for), and also helps penetrate heavy clothing (leather jackets have been known to clog the hollo tip of a pistol round, preventing it from expanding).  Result: a much more favorable round for shooting BGs with.

But I'm still of the opinion that  'a handgun is what you use while you are getting your rifle out.'

Let the flame wars BEGIN!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hmph. Sounds like your info re. handgun HPs is a leetle out of date.

Since the Miami shootout the FBI has conducted extensive testing and evaluation of what makes (and what prevents) handgun HP bullets from expanding. The current trend is toward a round that has a polymer 'bb' in the nose. The polymer 'bb' assists in feeding (because it resembles the 'ball round' shape of the round the gun was designed for), and also helps penetrate heavy clothing (leather jackets have been known to clog the hollo tip of a pistol round, preventing it from expanding).  Result: a much more favorable round for shooting BGs with.

But I'm still of the opinion that  'a handgun is what you use while you are getting your rifle out.'

Let the flame wars BEGIN!

Well, that wasn't really the main thrust of the issue at hand.  You might be right.  Maybe these nylon bullets will kill you if it hit's you in your ear.  I still think M855 would be an acceptable round for defense.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top