AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 5:03:57 PM EDT
he says to me something to the effect of:

no you cant do that because its patented (or something like that) by Colt
also ---
the military just does that because they use really long speshul bullets

i was sort of taken back by these statements
as i pretty must trust his word and hes a good guy but....

can anyone shed any light on these comments?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
he doesnt know what he is talking about
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
He is an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
obviously he doesnt do much work on ARs

thats what is so funny about the whole thing --- he does do a lot of work on them
maybe he was just annoyed by my presence and was trying to get me to stfu
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He is an idiot.

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
*Shakes head*

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#7]
And you said he was a cop, so that must be the reason for stupid coment #1.....  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Please define leo/gunsmith guy.

he is an leo and does smithing at a funshop

eta: forgive me for purposely being somewhat mildly vague
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
never let him touch your AR.     ever
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
oh God
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
oh God

,you devil

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:

Bump  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#15]
What a maroon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#17]

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]
hahahaha-  run forest.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#19]
He must be working on airsoft
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#20]
he might be a good guy but he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about when it comes to M4 feed ramps.  Please ask him what these "special bullets" are.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#21]
How can folks be so uninformed about the AR15 when this website exsists?  Refer this moron to this website before he he says something that dumb again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#22]
A lot of people assume that because an individual is an LEO, they know about guns.
Many believe that if they are a gunsmith/gunshop worker, they know about all guns.
It would follow to many of these individuals who think this way that a person who was a combination of both would therefore be unfailing in their firearms knowledge.
Often, they are completely wrong on most or all counts.
Many LEOs know little about firearms, including the ones they carry everyday.  The sidearm is just another part of the uniform that they have to carry.
Gunshop dudes are often at a total loss for accurate firearms info, especially if it outside fo their customer interest base.
Just because this guy is working on a lot of ARs for local PDs does not mean he knows what he is doing, or that he has correct technological info.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
How can folks be so uninformed about the AR15 when this website exsists?  Refer this moron to this website before he he says something that dumb again.

Because while you can lead a horse to water you shouldn't have to suck the water through his ass.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#24]

also ---

He's not completley wrong. What Colt has patented is the term M4. Not sure if patent is the correct term, it might be trademark instead. In any event when the US Army adopted the M16 they also bought the rights to manufacture it from Colt ( Usually std procedure when the military adopts a weapon design), thats why FN & others have made M16s. When the Army adopted the M4, it was supposed to be only an ancillary weapon with very limted issue & they didn't buy the rights too manufacture it. Thats why all M4s are Colt.

As too the really long speshul bullets. A M856A1 Tracer is a very long bullet & is the reason for the 1 in 7" twist, but has nothing to do with M4 feed ramps. A weapon doesn't feed bullets, it feeds ctgs. The extra length in a M856A1 is inside the case. A M856A1 ctg is no longer than any other 5.56 ctg. The magazine is a limting factor here. All US issue 5.56 ctgs must fit in the AR mag. In summary your friend knows just enough to get into trouble. He knows the headline, but he didn't read the whole story. M9
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A lot of people assume that because an individual is an LEO, they know about guns.
Many believe that if they are a gunsmith/gunshop worker, they know about all guns.

+1

There are many officers who view a firearm as a tool of the trade and nothing more. You don't hear carpenters sitting around Bs'ing about the latest tricked out hammer.

One trip to the local Funshow will make you realize just how much the average dealer knows about firearms. I think its amazing that some of them don't know crap about the guns they sell.

Just because chuckles can replace parts in a AR dosent mean he is a gunsmith. I built my two AR's and my shotgun and I am going to start a 1911 project. I would NEVER consider myself or even any of our department "armorers" gunsmiths anymore that I would consider the teenager that changes oil at Jiffy Lube a mechanic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8

also ---
the military just does that because they use really long speshul bullets He
As too the really long speshul bullets. A M856A1 Tracer is a very long bullet & is the reason for the 1 in 7" twist, but has nothing to do with M4 feed ramps. A weapon doesn't feed bullets, it feeds ctgs. The extra length in a M856A1 is inside the case. A M856A1 ctg is no longer than any other 5.56 ctg. The magazine is a limting factor here. All US issue 5.56 ctgs must fit in the AR mag. In summary your friend knows just enough to get into trouble. He knows the headline, but he didn't read the whole story. M9

IIRC, there was a lawsuit re: the use of the name "M4" when referring to a specific model / config that resulted in a ruling that other companies could indeed use the name M4 without infringement.

Does anyone have the cites for this?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Let me translate his comments from Cop-eese to English for you

" I am a cop so I should be honored and believed!  I know NOTHING about what I speak, but you are a mere citizen, so don't you dare question me!!!   I have NO knowledge or skill as a gunsmith, and I have less knowledge of law, so that's why I am doing fine in my jobs, because the "higher ups"  can't be questionsed either!
We are those that must be obeyed!!!!!!!"

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

also ---

He's not completley wrong. What Colt has patented is the term M4. Not sure if patent is the correct term, it might be trademark instead. In any event when the US Army adopted the M16 they also bought the rights to manufacture it from Colt ( Usually std procedure when the military adopts a weapon design), thats why FN & others have made M16s. When the Army adopted the M4, it was supposed to be only an ancillary weapon with very limted issue & they didn't buy the rights too manufacture it. Thats why all M4s are Colt.

IIRC, there was a lawsuit re: the use of the name "M4" when referring to a specific model / config that resulted in a ruling that other companies could indeed use the name M4 without infringement.

Does anyone have the cites for this?

Yeah - Colt sued Bushmaster a few years ago, and the court ruling was that Colt did not have the exclusive right to the "M4" designation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Some of you guys think that M4 ramps are such a BIG DEAL????

The AR15/M16 was shooting Great way Before M4 RAMPS came out

Dont get me wrong

I have 2 LMT M4`s that have the FAMOUC M4 ramps

and have some that dont have ramps!

Both types run 100%

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Let me translate his comments from Cop-eese to English for you

" I am a cop so I should be honored and believed!  I know NOTHING about what I speak, but you are a mere citizen, so don't you dare question me!!!   I have NO knowledge or skill as a gunsmith, and I have less knowledge of law, so that's why I am doing fine in my jobs, because the "higher ups"  can't be questionsed either!
We are those that must be obeyed!!!!!!!"

You guys are just jealous of those of us who are cops... who don't make very much money and work crappy hours...  oh.. can I join you guys?

Whenever I get a gun question I cannot answer, this (ARFCOM) is my resource for the answer.  I just tell them I'm not sure, and that I'll get back to them with more info.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because while you can lead a horse to water you shouldn't have to suck the water through his ass.

LMAO
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#32]
the whole reason i asked him about the ramps is i had a round (old brass, weird headstamp

from a mixed lot) fail to feed - jammed into the reciever under the ramps and pushed the

bullet back into the case about 1/8 of an inch or so

so i was wondering if the afterthought ramps would help alleviate this problem

the answer is why i posted this thread
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Is this guys name markm?
If so, ask him about KNS pins and Magpul
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Is this guys name markm?
If so, ask him about KNS pins and Magpul

no its not him

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top