Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2013 2:56:45 PM EDT
When using snap caps for dry-fire practice, do you cycle the action all the way or just far enough to cock the hammer?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Barely, just enough to cock the hammer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'n never used snap caps in an AR. I wasn't aware firing it could hurt it. Then again, I don't sit there and dry fire it over and over again. I usually just do it to release the hammer when putting it away for storage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
dry fire won't hurt anything, its the only way to get to know your trigger. I only use snap caps for testing a build during trigger adjustments.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'n never used snap caps in an AR. I wasn't aware firing it could hurt it. Then again, I don't sit there and dry fire it over and over again. I usually just do it to release the hammer when putting it away for storage.

It really won't hurt it to dry fire it. In fact, I tend to dry fire the crap out of a firearm (modern) when I get it to get the trigger pull down and the fundamentals of the gun before I put live ammunition in it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
In the Marine Corps, we were required to dry fire our rifles for what seemed like hundreds and hundreds of times while first getting our marksmanship training.  I am sure each rifle went through several years and several dozen recruits with never having had a problem caused by dry-firing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I mainly use snap caps in my AR to practice reloads. It makes dropping the bolt a little easier.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
don't bother.. just dry fire the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The only time dry firing will hurt is when you have the lower separated. The hammer keeps it from striking the lower when it's fully assembled, but be careful when you have the gun disassembled; the hammer will strike the lower in way that it can cause the hammer to weaken or break during normal use.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top