Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2003 8:11:38 PM EDT
I just got my bushy M4gery back from Kurt who put one of his great A3 TacBrakes on it. When I shot it, the handguards would start smoking a lot after maybe 15-20 rounds of firing perhaps 6 shots per minute. Before I sent it off, the rifle didn't do this after even 90 rounds rapidly fired. No cycling problems or anything, but a lot of smelly, white smoke.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If he took the barrel off and then reinstalled it, maybe it is a little of whatever was used as antisieze (often motor oil) burning off.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It is probably just oil burning off.  Heat it up and watch the smoke pour out.  Gets some great looks at the range [:)]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
put a protective coat of oil on your barrel and then fire 40-120blanks (blanks just because they seem to heat quicker) and the barrel will smoke pretty good (as oil evaporates). . . Then it will stop and for 100-300rds it will be gone and then a different kind of smoke can appear (slight melting of the handguards.) This is where you probably want to stop firing if you don't want to destroy the barrel or find yourself cleaning melted plastic off the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#4]
White smoke is usually oil burning off the barrel - though the round count is way too low to be CLP smoking off.

I'd second the guess that it is some type of oil used in installing the barrel burning off.

Black smoke is your handguards and/or the glue in them burning. This is the gun's way of saying "Stop it, you are hurting me!". [:D] You will generally only see this under extreme firing schedules (7-10 mags as fast as you can).
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, thanks guys. Hopefully then I can just burn it off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#6]
heheheh... Someting fun to do to new shooters.

Put CLP all over you barrel before heading to an outdoor shoot.

Bast through a couple of mags.

When the gun is smoking, hold it at arms length and ask the new shooter "I wonder if that is normal?"

Gingerly load a round into smoking gun. Pull trigger, while at the same time tensing up your body and making a "Oh shit, this is gonna hurt" face.

Watch the new guy's eyes get as big as dinner plates.

Works every time.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll let you know if smoking handguards are normal or not when the transfer of my new M16 finally goes through. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
According to the Surgeon General, smoking handguards (or smoking any other part of your AR) can be hazardous to your health.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
We are doing some super-secret prototype work on a PATCH to help barrels stop smoking, but don't tell anyone.  [:D]

southern
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top