Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/16/2008 8:56:01 AM EDT
I just bought a new in box M&P15 ORC and I have found what I think is a defect with it. Bought it without sights and purchased YHM flip sights to mount on it.  OK so far, I took it to the range to sight it in and began with large target at 25 yards.  From a rest, I couldn't print on the target!  Only with the rear sight cranked fully left could I get on the paper, and even then couldn't get it to center. It as shooting over a foot to the right at 25 yards.  I took the sights off, and placed the weapon upside down on it's rails and found the front mount was "cocked" about 1/16 of an inch up on the right side-meaning the front mount was twisted counter-clockwise as you sight down the barrel. Is this an over-torqued barrel or a manufactures defect?  Can the front barrel mount be rotated?  It seems pinned tight to me. I would love some opinions before I take it back to where I bought it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
some pics of what you are talking about would help.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
At work today, I will try tonight
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't checked out my rifle yet. But i just shot mine for the first time yesterday, and found I had to adjust my windage way right. Also, I need to get a front sight tool, as the 'cartridge point' to depress the detent wasn't working for me.
But even not dialed in the way I would like it, DAMN! this thing is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds to me like you do need to contact S&W and probably send it back to them...
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]
the front sight is mounted on the front gas block.  I thought I read on here somewhere a way to "adjust" this.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Not another one of these threads! For god's sake save yourself the torment from the masses here and contact the manufacturer first before you are lynched. Oh wait.... not considered "top tier", you should be okay.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I would contact smith for the concern, i had concerns with my m&p 15t called them and they were great, sent a shipping label and were good at keeping in contact with me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't own a M&P, but have shipped firearms to Smith b4, and have had nothing but the best service. Handguns can back, with what what need repaired plus some extra, cleaned and buffed, and a new had case. They'll treat you right.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not another one of these threads! For god's sake save yourself the torment from the masses here and contact the manufacturer first before you are lynched. Oh wait.... not considered "top tier", you should be okay.

LOL.. Yeah man, what's a matter with you? Even though this is a discussion forum, you can only discuss non-issues with a particular rifle. Bringing up problems will get a flood of negative backlash.

RUN for your life!

Wait, this isn't TOS. You should be OKAY

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Depending upon the YHM flip front sight you are using, some state "Mounts on the same plane as the rear sight".  That is the configuration of the M&P 15OR, the gas block rail is in the same plane as the upper.  Eliminate the easy stuff first.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the same problem with my M&P15T, here was the problem:

The rear sight was mounted to the upper reciever. The front sight was mounted to the Troy rails. The rails and the reciever didn't line up perfectly, hence, the sights wouldn't line up perfecetly. I called S&W and they immediately emailed me a UPS label to ship it back to them. I opted to have my local dealer check it out and he fixed it in a matter of minutes. He did have a specific tool need for this though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
edit.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top