Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2005 2:15:22 PM EDT
I've spoken with Gemtech technical and visited Ron at the Smith Enterprises shop in Tempe, AZ, and still have no good answers on the question above - is a Gemtech HALO 5.56mm centerfire rifle suppressor immediately compatible with the Smith Ent. G6-A2 Vortex flash hider?  Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge/experience one way or the other?

Gemtech limits their recommendations for HALO compatibility to any/all 22 mm standard NATO specification flash hiders such as the Colt A1 or A2 and Galil.  The Vortex is 0.861" diameter (from the SEI website) and, if my math is correct, may be about .005" short of NATO spec.

I'm interested in knowing if the Vortex/HALO is correct, safe and effective as a combination.

Thanks for all advice from a newcomer to the Forums.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've physically attached a HALO to a Vortex
-Troy

And after seeing how big your eyes got when you did that, I'd say you were emotionally attached to that combo as well!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Troy!

I was about to give up on this combo and - while hard to believe - was beginning to think I was the first to try (or at least write about) a Smith Vortex with a Gemtech HALO based on lack of available info and replies at this and other boards.

Based strictly on the numbers and speaking with Gemtech, I expected the Vortex to NOT fit - the 2 1/4" length would be too long and the 0.861" (21mm) diameter too narrow.  Gemtech left me with the impression that it's 22mm or nothing.  No exceptions.  Smith Ent. was definitely not interested in ANYthing Gemtech let alone trying to answer my compatibiltiy questions with their product.  Last place I wanted to be was unknowingly caught somewhere between a business dispute.  

The bottom line is that I REALLY like my HALO, it was expensive, I waited a long time to get it, works on three of my ARs with A2 flash hiders and I don't want to screw it up.

I'll probably call Gemtech one more time and plan to pass on your experience.  Any other info you might have on the subject is much appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Troy.  I spoke with Kel this afternoon and he said the current Smith Vortex G6-A2 specs (length 2.25") make it NOT compatible with the HALO.  Flash hider lengths between 1.75-2.1" should be okay.  I know this seems contrary to your experience.  Bottom line is that Kel says Gemtech will check any FH for compatibility free of charge if you send it to Boise.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Exactly, thanks!  I also wonder if the stock Vortex length issue might also be satisfied because - according to the Smith Ent. website - the G6-A2 is not a timed item and does not require the use of a lock washer.  We're only talking about 0.15"!  Now does this create other problems, i.e., other than the straight mounting (peel washer) as recommended for the HALO, don't know?  But I do appreciate the dialogue!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
taggerooney
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
This may be the best advice regarding HALO suppressor compatibility whether a Vortex or any other FH... straight from Phil Dater today, "... the simplest way to determine if the FH you have is OK for length is to mount it in the HALO. You should have at least 4 complete turns of the closer before it cinches tight."
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagged.

I will have my HALO in a few weeks and have been wondering about compatiability issues.  I just ordered a A2 from ADCO to replace my Phantom SC2.  Now I may wait till it gets here and try it out on my other AR w/ Vortex as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#13]
the Halo will Not work  on  the current Smith Vortex G6  is Not  22 mm standard NATO
my is compatible on a  Yankee Hill 5C1 5 slot  and yes  it work at least 5complete turns and is realy tight

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#14]
what about the phantom with the prongs at the end...the 5C2 model i think?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
what about the phantom with the prongs at the end...the 5C2 model i think?

That's what I want to know as well...
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The prongs are cut into the end, so the length is the same for both.   So it should work with either.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow I was looking at getting one of those but have the yankihill on a 14.5 inch. I also have a vortex on my g36clone. They are both the same length but I think the thickness might get it. I would think as long as it locks on I would be ok. Would be nice to get a gemtech helo now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok looked at it again. Vortex, way too long to have anything for those teeth to lock onto. There is a grove in the vortex that would possible be thick enough but I dunno. As for the thickness it looks the same. I think if gemtech were to make a little bit longer clamp sleave thing it would work fine. Would like to see a pic of someone's mounted.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#20]
great news.  Glad I searched.

probably ordering a halo today.....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top