Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/19/2010 2:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/19/2010 3:56:05 PM EDT by berdar]
I'm about to put a Primary Arms 1-4X24 and a Gen 8 Microdot on my wife's carbine. What do you guys think is the way to go. Mount the Microdot on top of the 1-4 or use an offset mount to set the Microdot at an angle?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/19/2010 3:14:33 PM EDT by MARSH1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:56:39 PM EDT
Thanks Marsh, I appreciate your advice.

You'll be hearing from me again soon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/19/2010 7:19:13 PM EDT by socommatthews]
So.......whats the point of having a scope with 1x and a red dot? If your gonna use a red dot anyway why not get the 4-16 version?

ETA: To answer your question, I prefer it on top as I dont have any experience with the off set mounts. Seems to me it would be a pain to zero.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:43:19 AM EDT
I have a reddot offset mounted for 3 gun. Just rotate the rifle a bit. I do a zero at close range, no more than 25 yards and use the redot for target that close and closer to maintain field of view, then use the scope for distant targets.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:21:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wallym777:
I have a reddot offset mounted for 3 gun. Just rotate the rifle a bit. I do a zero at close range, no more than 25 yards and use the redot for target that close and closer to maintain field of view, then use the scope for distant targets.

this exactly -
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:24:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By socommatthews:
So.......whats the point of having a scope with 1x and a red dot? If your gonna use a red dot anyway why not get the 4-16 version?

ETA: To answer your question, I prefer it on top as I dont have any experience with the off set mounts. Seems to me it would be a pain to zero.

How consistent (or even existent) is your cheek weld with the red dot on top?

From my experience, the red dot on the side of the scope/rail is better because it is much much faster and the cheek weld is much more consistent (vs a chin weld with it on top of the scope). It is also no more difficult to zero than if it were mounted on top, because when you use it, the red dot is "on top" because of the rotation of the rifle (a few degrees) to use it. Righties would mount it on the right side and lefties on the left side.

like this
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:25:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 4schitzangiggles:

From my experience, the red dot on the side of the scope/rail is better because it is much much faster and the cheek weld is much more consistent (vs a chin weld with it on top of the scope). It is also no more difficult to zero than if it were mounted on top, because when you use it, the red dot is "on top" because of the rotation of the rifle (a few degrees) to use it. Righties would mount it on the right side and lefties on the left side.

like this

Yea I've seen people be super quick with it on the side. I'm used to it being on top of my ACOGs I guess. But if you have a quality scope with 1x I just dont see the need for a red dot. I'm using a Burris 1-4 w/ illumination and its great up close as its true 1x and the reticule is very fast. Whats your reason (if you have this setup)?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:42:04 AM EDT
I have a similar question...

I'm wanting to put an Aimpoint Micro in an offset position on a scope, but trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I looked at the GG&G B-Comp ring, but that has a flat base and one of their customer service reps told me the Micro wasn't compatible.

My next thought was the Warne RAMP mount.

Does anyone have any input on the Warne, or have another idea that they've actually tried?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:53:55 AM EDT

This. Isn't that the point of the 1x scope? Too me it's the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:29:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2010 7:37:25 AM EDT by murderman]
Originally Posted By travelmedic:
I have a similar question...

I'm wanting to put an Aimpoint Micro in an offset position on a scope, but trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I looked at the GG&G B-Comp ring, but that has a flat base and one of their customer service reps told me the Micro wasn't compatible.

My next thought was the Warne RAMP mount.

Does anyone have any input on the Warne, or have another idea that they've actually tried?

A TNVC SAR will work well for what I understand you to be proposing.

ETA- Elsewise, maybe an LT724 or a DD 1 o'clock mount ?

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:04:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By murderman:

That TNVC unit was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about!

I'd looked at stuff like the Larue mount, but it says that scopes with turrets longer than 1/2" would interfere.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 1:25:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By berdar:
on my wife's carbine.

First of all thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate it.

She who must be obeyed wants two optics. I figure as long as she lets me use the credit cards then she will definitely get what she wants.

Berdar

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 2:59:28 PM EDT
on my wife's carbine.

First of all thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate it.

She who must be obeyed wants two optics. I figure as long as she lets me use the credit cards then she will definitely get what she wants.

Berdar

You lucky bastard In that case I see why you want a 1-4 and a red dot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 3:19:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By travelmedic:
Originally Posted By murderman:

That TNVC unit was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about!

I'd looked at stuff like the Larue mount, but it says that scopes with turrets longer than 1/2" would interfere.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

TNVC gear is GTG.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 3:48:08 PM EDT
The offset mount is quicker, until you have to do something wierd like transition to weak-hand. It is also much more exposed when you have to ground your rifle in a barrel or similar tube. I need to find a mount with the wings to protect the little dot...
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:50:04 AM EDT
Another option
http://www.predatortactical.com/Burkett-OffSet-Mount-GEN-2-p37.html
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:07:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 4schitzangiggles:

like this

Yea I've seen people be super quick with it on the side. I'm used to it being on top of my ACOGs I guess. But if you have a quality scope with 1x I just dont see the need for a red dot. I'm using a Burris 1-4 w/ illumination and its great up close as its true 1x and the reticule is very fast. Whats your reason (if you have this setup)?

The red dot is quicker than a cross hair in clutter to pick up and I do not have to have perfect head placement to make quick followup shots. I have one on my 300WM with my magnified optic.
Top Top