Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 3:01:39 PM EDT
 Need some new lube for my AR-10....So do both have the same lube and the CLP has the cleaner or are they 2 different animals all together?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated....
Is slip 2000 any good?

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP is a generic term for a product that cleans, lubricates and protects.  Slip 2000 is one of those products and it works rather well.  I've used it on my AR10 and it works about as well as anything else.  The most recognized CLP is probably Breakfree and it will work fine also.  CLP doesn’t do much in the way of copper removal, so if that becomes an issue, you’ll want to use some Sweet’s 7.62 or similar.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanx for the info...I have used Breakfree CLP in the military.  I went to the Slip 2000 site and they have both the CLP and the GPL(general purpose lubricant) listed I was wondering if there was a difference in the lubrication quality of the 2....

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for slip2000

pretty good cleaner
good lube

great clp
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet that Slip 2000 will be around a long time! Thay are putting out some unbelieveable products! Their gun oil's are top notch!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
No one bothered to answer his question.

Which to get:

Slip 2000 Gun Lube (supposedly meets/exceeds 63460D)
Slip 2000 General Purpose Lube / GPL

Slip 2000 MIL-X is supposed to meet/exceed 63460E but not available to civilians.

UPDATE:
I just read their Aberdeen test report and it was mainly a health hazard assessment. If you recall, Militec-1 passed the Navy's health hazard assessment. That was pretty much the extent of any government certified testing. The next phases will test it IAW 63460D (corrosion protection, etc...) It's kind of premature for anyone to say Slip 2000 Gun Lube is better than BF CLP. I haven't seen comparable corrosion protection though. Maybe that is why they're simulatenously producing MIL-X?
Good luck to them, I'd like to see a competitive product albeit it will be kind of expensive!

Also, just a caveat emptor regarding marketing:

After product review and evaluation by Picatinny Arsenal, SLiP2000™ General Purpose Lubricant has been assigned National Stock Numbers (NSN) by the Defense Supply Center Richmond (DSCR)

A product does not have to meet any type of military testing standard/spec in order to be assigned a NSN by DLA. The NSN is just so you can order it through DLA (easier for soldiers to use their gov't cards/funds rather than their personal MasterCard or Visa).

My answer to the thread starter's question
Slip 2000 Gun Lube (out of the 2). It's just my humble opinion that it smells too much like Singer Sewing Machine Oil (no one else here smells it, maybe their olefactory senses suck?) but it does lubricate very well (higher boundary lubrication versus BF CLP). Then again, you can use a thick motor oil and obtain the same perceived results. My rag-tag corrosion testing shows it to be inferior to Break Free CLP though. I've stopped looking for the ultimate gun lubricant because everywhere I turn, people say to run the firearms DRY with MINIMAL lubrication (Glock, AK, AR-15). So that only leaves cleaning power and preservation power. BF CLP is kind of hard to beat in those categories unless you buy Eezox and a dedicated cleaner...

Slip 2000's Carbon Cutter works great though. I just dumped my Glock barrel into a jar overnight. I want to see much time it can save me from scrubbing the bore.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanx everyone for the input appreciate it...I think I will just stick with the CLP

Semper Fi,
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top