Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 1:45:52 PM EDT
I recently read that the Marines use a different sling than the Army does.  The sling that the Marines use is supposed to be different in that it is possible to use it as a loop sling to aid in shooting more accurately.  My question is won't the sling pressure cause the point of impact to move?  I would assume that the Marines don't have free float tubes on their M16's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the sling is different and is a loop sling used for longer range, more stable and more accurate shooting.  It is same as any other part of the shooting process like, stock weld, trigger control, breath control, etc.

Hope this helps.  If you have any other questions...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply TeuffelHunden1775.  
But what I want to know is how do the Marines deal with sling pressure causing the point of impact to move?  
High Power target shooters use a free float tube so that a tight sling does not cause the POI to move.  
Maybe the POI doesn't move enough to be a problem in combat?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We are talking about a regular issue M-16 sling?

I did not know that the Corps issued a different sling than my beloved ARMY...

Are we talking about the the Silent sling, and the older style GI adjustable sling but only in black?

And if not....

I must see pic's..
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The sling pressure does affect POI since it's not free floated. However, the steadier hold imparts "more" accuracy over free holding even with the slight barrel pressure. They aren't trying to get a .025 MOA at a range. They use the sling to get minute of a enemy, so the benefit of a tight sling accuracy overcomes the accuracy lost by the tight sling on the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The sling pressure does affect POI since it's not free floated. However, the steadier hold imparts "more" accuracy over free holding even with the slight barrel pressure. They aren't trying to get a .025 MOA at a range. They use the sling to get minute of a enemy, so the benefit of a tight sling accuracy overcomes the accuracy lost by the tight sling on the barrel.

Agreed.  To put it simply...

Does sling tension effect POI?  Yes.  Does it effect it significantly?  Not enough for this application.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top