Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 9:37:42 AM EDT
I'm new to the scene, so you can generally assume most of my questions are going to be silly. Thanks to all who have helped me get started and make some important decisions. =]

I am wondering...why are the Sling loops for AR's on the bottom side of the barrel and stock? he
Just curious...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]
That has been where sling loops have always been mounted on almost all rifles.  It has nothing to due with the AWB.

It is fine for most conventional carry styles.  Across the back, Muzzle up, and African Carry.  

If you want a tactical carry, you have many options in tactical slings.  IMO, Standard 2 point is fine for most shooters.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought the M16 had them mounted on the top , rather than underneath?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Not the M16 A2.  I don't know how the a4 is configured.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.  I guess I'm going from memory here, but I'd thought most M16's had them mounted on top.  I'll have to dig a little deeper.

I still don't see any advantage to having them mounted underneath though...that's what I'm really curious about.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Interesting.  I guess I'm going from memory here, but I'd thought most M16's had them mounted on top.  I'll have to dig a little deeper.

I still don't see any advantage to having them mounted underneath though...that's what I'm really curious about.  

It allows the soldier to carry the rifle all nice and pretty like while doing drill and ceremony
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I edited my first post above.  But to reiterate...  The sling attachment points work for most conventional carry methods.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Here in the states, the sling is used to steady the rifle during firing. On rifles like the Ak-47 and others with side mounts, the sling is not used to steady the rifle for off hand shooting, nor are they trained to use it as such.

As far as M-16 that has had/has upward slings, these have been the shorter carbine rifles with the back point on the telescoping on the top and the front on the side or top.
Here the idea is since the rifle is shorter, and will be used at shorter ranges, the sling is used more as concept to keep the rife in a ready to fire position, than as a supporting device to steady the rifle during fire.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd thought most M16's had them mounted on top.  

I spent a little time in the Army Reserve. Not a single M16 had sling mounts other than on the bottom.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Here the idea is since the rifle is shorter, and will be used at shorter ranges, the sling is used more as concept to keep the rife in a ready to fire position, than as a supporting device to steady the rifle during fire.

That's what I was thinking.  Right hand on the pistol grip...left hand giving hand signals, signaling someone to get down...etc...while easily being able to whip the rifle back up on target.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top