Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 6:40:56 PM EDT
Need to get a tac sling for my M4gery, and need advice.

There seems to be quite a few opinions on which one is best. And it seems that there are pluses and minuses to using single point, two point, and three point slings.

Don't really know enough about them, and am wondering which one is the most versatile. And I'm not too sure about the three point slings. The thought of the sling wrapped around the front of my handguards kind of bugs me. Plus it would get in the way of my pressure switch for my Surefire. Of course I could reconfigure if necessary.

Anyway, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I appreciate any input.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the SOP sling from CQB Solutions.  It is a 3-point sling that comes in many different configurations.  You can mount it to the front and rear several ways.  I have mine attached to the sling swivel on the side of my ARMS SIR system on my preban Colt Sporter.  The back is attached to the top of my VLTOR buttstock.  There is also a version that straps to your handguards.  This sling also features a quick disconnect feature.  Here is the link to the sling.  I really love mine.

[url]http://www.cqbsolutions.com/sop_sling.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both single and three point slings . I generally like the three points, because I always end up nailing my self in the balls with the single point.[nuts]

I recently saw a picture out of Iraq of a soldier with an M4 on a single point sling, but he also had a "Boonie" style sling on it too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, it depends on how you are planning to use your weapon.  Currently I'm running a KAC Bungee sling (single point).  Originally I was using a CQB Solutions 3 point sling, and for most people I would still recomend them over any other sling on the market.  They are very versitle with the different carry options, and transitioning from rifle/carbine to side arm.  I went to a single point sling because it's more versitle in the area of shooting from varios positions and strong to weak side shooting which is more of what I do now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I am totally sold on the single point sliing. I personally don't see any disadvantage to them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
3 point slings are a good all around field/cqb sling, just because they offer a little bit more stability during active movement.

Single point slings are great for CQB.  For me their biggest advantage is they take the sling off the buttstock, which makes shoulding much more smoother and less snag prone, especially when covered in body armor and load bearing gear.

CQB Solutions make excellent versions, however, I prefer the stiffer more durable Giles slings from The Wilderness.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you guys think about the Daniel Defense Extreme Sling?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
This? [url]http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292180975[/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:19:05 AM EDT
[#8]
well thats the compaby but since I am not a member I cant view the pics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:08:16 AM EDT
[#9]
My main experience with a sling revolves around the two rifle classes I have taken with my AR (other than using the carry strap in the Army). One class was a five day class and the other a four day class, during those classes I got to wear my AR pretty much all day, and also see other sling systems and how they worked. The sling I used is a single point sling from The Wilderness. After completeing both classes, I have to say that I am perfectly happy with  my choice and have not seen anything that would cause me to change. I did modify my sling with the use of a Daniel Defense attachment point plate. It is angled down, so that when you are running the charging handle, you don't catch your fingernail on the sling attachment plate.
One guy earlier mentioned hitting himself in the nuts with the rifle on a single point sling. All you have to do is rotate the weapon around to your strong side. If I wanted the rifle out of my way, I rotated it around to my strong side, such as when walking down to check my target from the 200 yard line. I found that I liked having both hands free with the rifle slung. If I was going to keep the rifle in my hands, I have the rifle hanging right in front of me. With the rifle right in front of me, I found that I could rotate the butt so it was pointing straight up and would rest my arms on it when we were being lectured. I found that I could shoot strong side or weak side without making any adjustments to the sling. I found I could shoot offhand, kneeling, squatting, sitting, and prone without making any adjustments to the sling. I found that I could transition from rifle to handgun with no problem when using the single point sling. And, I found that it was comfortable to wear all day. I see no downside to it at all. Many people at these classes were using three point slings, and I didn't see any advantage to it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#10]
The only things I dont liek about single point slings are the fact you can sling it across you back or on your shoulder for active things like rappeling, climbing ladders, etc.  Also you can drop the weapon and have itnot hit the ground if you need to use both hands to do something while kneeling.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used the Tactical Tailor 3-point sling on one of my M4s and a single-point on the other. The 3-point offers superior muzzle control (ie your rifle doesn't do a face-plant in the dirt when you kneel or bang your thighs, sweep your feet, etc. when you let it hang freely). The downside is that weak-side cornering is darn near impossible without unslinging the weapon, and the strap running alongside the gun body can interfere with manipulation of the bolt stop or charging handle.

The single-point slings are simple, very comfortable, allow effortless transition between strong- and weak-side shoulder, and leave the weapon's controls unobstructed. However, they lack any muzzle support, which means the weapon hangs pretty much vertically when released. As previously mentioned, this can result in the muzzle hitting the dirt when you go to kneel, or sweeping one's extremities as the rifle hangs. Also, movement with the rifle hanging in such a manner can cause it to bang painfully against one's body.

The best of both worlds, IMHO, is the CQB Solutions SOP sling. Basically, this acts as a 3-point sling with all the benefits thereof, but incorporates a release latch that can be used to instantly allow transition to the off-side shoulder. I highly recommend them!

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I recently purchased a CQB Solutions SOP sling and am VERY happy with it. Very comfortable and you can feel the quality. Also the best customer service I've ever dealt with.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought a "mamba" tactical sling for my RRA M4 that I like very well. Following is a link that shows and discusses using it. Cost is about $34.
www.specopsbrand.com/assets/product_html/prod_mamba.html
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm just replying so I can find this topic later.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#15]
With the single point sling, you can rotate the rifle around to any position you want. Having it hit your shins or your balls isn't nessessary. Simply grap the pistol grip of the weapon with your stong hand, and grasp the sling across your chest with your weak hand. Push the pistol grip around to your side while giving the sling a little tug and it hangs right at your side under your arm. Keep going and it is on your back. Now I wouldn't want to be climbing a ladder or something with it on my back like this, but it can be put on your back. I do carry a regular GI black nylon carry strap in my range bag if I feel the need to use it; I never have. Your regular sling swivels are still sitting there available and I guess if you wanted to you could just pull the carry strap tight and leave it attached.
The problem of the weapon hitting the ground when you squat, to me, isn't an issue. When I kneel down, I place the rifle across my thighs and still have both hands free. When you stand up, the rifle is still attached and simply hangs by the sling, although if you arn't paying attention, you will get hit in the shins.
The problem of the weapons pointing at your feet is a true issue. I don't see any way to avoid this. It doesn't worry me particularly, but it is a clear violation of safe firearms usage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
[url=http://www.usarmory.com/ftp/slsscm4.jpg]Here's the sling I bought.[/url]

It can be purchased [url=http://www.usarmory.com/catalog.asp?PAGE=11]HERE.[/url]

Why?

Well, as a former Marine, I tend to go with Marine Corps Issue stuff.  If it's good enough for the USMC to issue it, it must be good enough for me to use.  [:)]  Call me brainwashed, etc... I figure that they do their testing, and in the nearly twelve years I was in, I was very impressed with the level of communications between procurement and the troops.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

I decided to go with the CQB Solutions SOP sling, with the emergency release option. Will let you guys know what I think about it after I get it and try it out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top