Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:41:13 AM EDT
I just build a SP1 wannabe. Pretty authentic, but the lower is the newer style. If someone made an old school slabside lower for, let's say $129......wow!!! How cool would that be?

Editted to add: I'd be willing to pay $229!!

jj
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]
A few members have converted new lowers to the slabside look by using hand tools like files, and then reanodizing. Depending on how accurate you want it, it can be very complicated. That's really your only option right now, other than a used lower. Nice rifle, BTW.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Even though I don't have an A1 or slick side upper or one planned for a while.. I'd buy a couple slick side or A1 lowers in a heart beat if the price was around $200-250 or less

Want to build one in the future Been keeping my eye out at shows.. saw a PWA A1 lower for sale, but someone bought it right before I did.. for $150
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A few members have converted new lowers to the slabside look by using hand tools like files, and then reanodizing. Depending on how accurate you want it, it can be very complicated. That's really your only option right now, other than a used lower. Nice rifle, BTW.

Yep, Its very nice up close IMO. Shooting it was more fun than my M4orgery. I liked shooting his so much I'm gonna have to build one now
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I am curious now.

What is the difference btw a slabside and a regular one?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The ridges around the magwell. There are some other ridges that are on the newer lowers. Go look at you AR and you will see.

jj
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK, I am curious now.

What is the difference btw a slabside and a regular one?

Slabside is smooth, no mag release fence.

ETA: Colt Sporter II Lower.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt-653, a member on this site was working on an A1 lower project when ASA, the company that was brokering the lowers went out of business.

Haven't heard much since the end of last year
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
THanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I would think that a XM-177 type lower would be even easier...

Mill off the guard around the mag release, and then grind off some of the extra at the rear of the receiver.,..

Hell If I could find some company that would be willing to finish my receiver I would just do my own out of a forging.

I quess I could alway get my hands on a old EA cast or DPMS cast lower, and just file off  around the mag release...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The ridges around the magwell. There are some other ridges that are on the newer lowers. Go look at you AR and you will see.

jj

You know, I really don't think you're talking about a "slabside" lower. True slabsides, which were only used on Colt's SP1s and2s are to my mind the ugliest of the ARs.  Also the biggest PITA's, because you have to use a two headsed screw to join the upper and lower, and need two screwdrivers to separate them.

I'm suspecting that what you're referring to are the early M16 profile lowers, with the push pin at the front, but no mag fence. That gives you tha sleekest lines, consistent with a practical takedown system------and since I've been an SP1 owner for over 25 years, and now have a (remachined from current type) early M16 profile piece, I much prefer the early '16 type.

If I hadn't class 3d the SP1 back in 1979, I'd dump it, but I figure if I hold it until my 9 year old is ready for college, I'll be able to pay for his education .
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Can someone post a pic of an early M16 lower? A real one if possible...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a real XM16E1 I just found on Gunbroker.  Wish I had $20k.  http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/mentalstampede/Guns/pix59690468.jpg

XM16E1 Auction

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's a real XM16E1 I just found on Gunbroker.  Wish I had $20k.  

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/mentalstampede/Guns/pix59690468.jpg

XM16E1 Auction

That is a nice looking rifle

Would love a lower like that!

Why did they had the fences around the mag release?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top