Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:12:57 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these for their AR? Any other options would be appriciated.

First seen in Cabela's catalog. Sky-bar

I'd install it in a 2000 Nissan Xterra above the front seats if it doesn't sit too low.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
No drilling required. Mounts using existing clothes hook mounts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

How well does it hold an AR?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, I don't have one, but I have friends that do. They are OK for something like a Win 94 or almost any flat style long gun. An AR is certainly much thicker, it is also "rounder" and, depending on how flamboyantly it is accessorized, has a weight distribution issue which may allow it to rotate in the cradle, especially with a 30 round mag in place. That would probably present a literal headache should something let go.  Wear a hard hat! There are units that mount in the visor mounts that carry long guns, but I'm 5'9" and I find they affect my line of sight while driving.

While the add infers the gun(s) are "out of sight", anyone of average height walking by a "stock" height truck could and probaly would be able to easily see the rifles through the windows. When I do carry an AR (or any long gun) in my regular cab truck, it is usually in the space behind the seats, well out of sight.  

I have found that behind the seat to be about the best place for me. If you have a extended or quad cab style truck, I would try to find a mount or rack that can be mounted using the back of the front seats and places them above the foot space and below the knee space. MHO.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!

I was going to put it into an SUV but I was thinking the same as you, not enough headroom. I saw the headrest racks. Easy to install and not expensive, I may go that route.

Thanks again.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top