Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2011 7:31:39 PM EDT
Just bought one and it's really nice.. rock solid, no wobble (with lock thingy on). Nice cheek weld, nice everything but it's a brick!

Can this be skeletonized at all? Minimally I'd like to remove the right battery tube. Not sure how much weight difference that would make.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one on an HBAR and kind of like the heft for balance.

Nothing is stopping you from carving yours up.
Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL

I've considered that.. remove the door on one side and dremel a matching hole on the opposite side... Honestly it appears doing that would comprimise the strength of the stock. Besides, most of the weight seems to be all the metal internals.

Oh well, this might end up on the EE.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Before you cut the thing up and weaken it to the point it's unusable, check out the VLTOR EMod Mil-Spec Complete Stock.  It has a comparable if not better check weld, and it's not bulky or heavy.  The little battery box is very small.  If you don't want the battery box, try the IMOD - It's stronger and less weight.  

You can get just the stock for virtually the same price as the ACS.  I am a big Magpul fan, but I just got an EMOD - Thus far very impressed, but the verdict is still out.  I am posting the complete stock kit since there are numbers on the buffer tube that you can see through a hole in the top of the stock - Necessary, not really, but it's a nicety.  However, this stock seems really tight on the VLTOR buffer tube.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at this site , it has the weight of several stocks . ACS is .2 oz lighter than EMOD .
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Herknav90:

I actually considered the Vltor stocks but I often have my cheek really far back on the stock, right where vltor puts a sling attachment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Take a look at this site , it has the weight of several stocks . ACS is .2 oz lighter than EMOD .
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations

0.2 oz lighter...Wow, I would not have guessed that.  I guess it is that heavy duty.  Maybe it just feels lighter due to it not looking like a brick block...HEHEHE!

Quoted:
Herknav90:

I actually considered the Vltor stocks but I often have my cheek really far back on the stock, right where vltor puts a sling attachment.

I keep my cheek back pretty far too.  The sling attachment is not an issue for me.  If you can find someone local with one...Give it a try.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top