Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 7:54:27 PM EDT
I have an RRA 18" 1/8 twist hvy bbl flattop. This will be a double duty rifle, used for both target shooting and calling coyotes. I need to replace the 25# stock trigger. I've read some of the posts on the JP, KAC, CMC etc. Everyone seems to feel that the 2 stage trigger is needed for target shooting. Why? This feels totally backwards to me. Of course I'm comparing this to all my bolt rifles, but afterall, most bolt (modern) rifles don't have 2 stage triggers. The basic concept of a trigger job (on a varmint or target rifle) is to get the pull lightened down to a crisp break, almost to the point of surprise. My last AR had a match 2 stage, and I found it rather hard to concentrate on both the target and getting the first stage pulled up so I could finish with the second. I figured this time I would go with a single stage. Naturally since it will be used for hunting also, I won't set it too light. Not as light as my hvy bbl varmints, but A LOT less than what its got now. Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:33:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I like 2 stage because I want to have a defined break and not a suprise break.  IMO bolt guns should be 2 stage triggers and it is that kind of trigger that is backwards.  Get what you want.  I like Accuracy Speaks for a single stage.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#2]
tag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Even a CMC or JP-installed JP trigger will have some "roll."  A good 2-stage trigger like the WOA-tuned RRA will have none at the 2nd stage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I also like 2 stage, it is just better to know where the "break" is at, and then you'll be able to steady the aim and finalize the shot right before the final pull.   2 stage is built for target shooting.

With singlestage, or really, no stage it is just a steady pull but no matter how good your'e or how often you train,  you never know when it'll break precisely.  Now if you're practicing double taps or quick followups, single stage would be better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
i like the two stages but those are in my precision builds.

chipmccormick
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Two stages are for wimps as far as the AR platform goes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I also like 2 stage, it is just better to know where the "break" is at, and then you'll be able to steady the aim and finalize the shot right before the final pull.   2 stage is built for target shooting.

With singlestage, or really, no stage it is just a steady pull but no matter how good your'e or how often you train,  you never know when it'll break precisely.  Now if you're practicing double taps or quick followups, single stage would be better.

100% disagree.  I am no faster with a single stage or slower with a 2 stage trigger for double taps or quick follow up shots.  Shot to shot recoil recovery is by far the thing that takes up the time between shots, not my ability to reset and pull the trigger again.  I can physically pull a single stage trigger faster but I cant aim that fast nor can I get the muzzle back on target that fast so its a useless improvement which requires me to give up the single stage for long range shooting which I CAN make use of.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]
This question always seem to come up now & then.

Someone should take the time to write a good "sticky" on single vs double stage, along with recommandations for quality match trigger manufacturers & models.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This question always seem to come up now & then.

Someone should take the time to write a good "sticky" on single vs double stage, along with recommandations for quality match trigger manufacturers & models.

either that or someone needs to use the search function.

most of the time the question will arise even when there's a sticky at the top
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
why do precision bolt rifles have single stage triggers?

my curret two stage trigger is "sticking" on the first stage

im thinking of getting a CmC single stage on my next precision AR because im thinking the single stage would be more reliable

any truth to what im thinking?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
why do precision bolt rifles have single stage triggers?

Except that the TRG-22/42 and the AI-AW/AWP/ASM/AWM have two stage triggers. Woops.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If your are use to a single stage like me, stick with a single stage.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Well just don't expect the RRA 2 stagers to work out of the box.  I bought an RRA lower
with the 2 stage factory installed and it's a piece of junk.   One long slow
creepy pull with no idea when it will break each time.

I'm NOT happy, especially for the money spent on it.

I'm going to have to send it somewhere to be fixed at my expense.

So, buy it from WOA, don't buy it straight from RRA.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#17]
are single stage trigger generaly more reliable than 2 stage?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

good quality triggers are generally better than less.

the two-stage single-stage is personal preferrence imo.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good quality triggers are generally better than less.

the two-stage single-stage is personal preferrence imo.

Exactly, quality matters... not stages, not set screws.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I use the RRA 2-stage triggers and have had to tune them for a smooth crisp let-off... Ive read alot of good things about the RRA White Oak Precision tuned triggers so I decided to give one a try to see how big of a difference there was between the two. I had to do nothing to the RRA WOP tuned trigger, just installed it and I had a smooth crisp let-off... John Holliger from White Oak Precision can tune the RRA 2-stage for you or you can buy one from WOP thats already tuned... If you already own a factory RRA, send it out to be tuned if you cant do it your self...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Something not touched on in this thread is weather you back up that AR with a pistol and what type of trigger does it have. I am a 3-gun competitor and that is where my perspective comes from. I firmly believe in commonality in weapon systems. If you have a single action pistol such as a 1911 a single stage trigger might be a better solution. If you have say a Berretta 92F you might consider a two stage trigger in that AR. All 3 of my guns have single action single stage trigers all with overtravel stops and set to within a pound of each other. Hope this is of interest, Mark
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#22]
2 stage triggers and double action triggers have nothing in common.  I have seen many 1911 with take up that has a feel similar to a 2 stage trigger.  This similarity in weapon systems meaning a single stage is better does not hold water, in fact Id say it pushes more to the 2 stage than single stage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top