Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 1:43:43 PM EDT
I'm thinking about upgrading the trigger on my 6920.  What's kept me from upgrading in the past is that I kept hearing that the factory trigger systems are the most durable and I didn't want to sacrifice that feature since it's my only SHTF rifle.  Still, I'm contemplating this and am seeking advice.

What I don't like about the factory trigger is that it's very hard to pull smoothly while maintaining an accurate shot (for me).  I find that it's a bit heavy or tight.  I would like to replace it with something thats smooth, not TOO light, but as close to as durable as the factory trigger.  I keep seeing those Chip McCormick Trigger systems and they look nice, but what worries me is that since it's a single all included unit, that if one piece malfunctions, I'd have to replace the whole system (am I right?)

Anyway... I'm not sure I completely comprehend the difference between 'single', 'double', and 'match' trigger systems and am hoping someone can enlighten me a bit, and perhaps make some recommendations based on what I've mentioned above.

So far, based on price and reputation, I'm considering the RRA 2 stage trigger system.  I see them going for about $85 shipped.  What say you?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
single stage--- actual weight must be applied and hammer drops when the amount of weight is applied, just a break, no slack, creep just a clean break

two stage----- first stage must be overcome and then there is the second stage which is what drops the hammer and is usually heavier of the two, sorta like having really long creep then breaking

match is consisting of the two imo.

i would get the woa tuned rra two stage if thats what you plan on getting either that or adco's beefed up rra two stage.

im running the cmc two stage in two of my rifles and have never experienced any problems with them and they have seen thousands of rounds without any problems
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I am still learning alot about AR's but I love the 2 stage trigger on my RR. This summer I bought an Armalite a4 and could not wait to shoot it. Holy shit the trigger was hard to pull. I ordered a RR trigger and I love the Armalite now. I know that you can spend alot more and I have heard bad stuff about the RR 2stage but this rookie on a budget thinks they are a great product.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyway... I'm not sure I completely comprehend the difference between 'single', 'double', and 'match' trigger systems and am hoping someone can enlighten me a bit,

On a 2 stage their are two distinct stages as you pull the trigger.  The first stage is a long, pull that takes up the 'slack' in the trigger until you feel it 'catch' on the second stage, which is much shorter and takes a little more effort.  On a single stage trigger there is no slack to take up.  

Match has nothing to do with the above and just means that the trigger is tuned for match shooting, which normally means very smooth and light to enhance accuracy.  A match trigger can be either single stage or 2 stage.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think prevailing sentiment is in favor of leaving the stock trigger in a defensive carbine. A good match two stage trigger is fun to shoot though. I have one in my AR10.

I hear ya Aimless, and I concur with your statement.  I think the stock trigger is preferred mostly for durability and secondly for trigger pull (less likely to have an AD) However, if you WERE to change a factory Colt trigger to something with a lighter and smoother pull, is there one that you feel is particularly well made and more likely to withstand abuse more than others?  I'm not looking for the BEST 'competition' like trigger.  Just something a little smoother than what I've got without sacrificing too much reliability.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The best is the KAC 2 stage and its what the military uses in the SPR.  Very few reports of the trigger going single stage and if it does you can fix it with a bullet tip in the field in 60 seconds.  If you locktite it, its a non issue.  KAC triggers used to go for as low as $250 and are now up to about $300.  I dont see my ever using another trigger for the AR and I have more confidence in the trigger than the factory trigger which is just surface hardened.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think prevailing sentiment is in favor of leaving the stock trigger in a defensive carbine. A good match two stage trigger is fun to shoot though. I have one in my AR10.

I hear ya Aimless, and I concur with your statement.  I think the stock trigger is preferred mostly for durability and secondly for trigger pull (less likely to have an AD) However, if you WERE to change a factory Colt trigger to something with a lighter and smoother pull, is there one that you feel is particularly well made and more likely to withstand abuse more than others?  I'm not looking for the BEST 'competition' like trigger.  Just something a little smoother than what I've got without sacrificing too much reliability.

Try a COLT match trigger... It has the lighter hammer spring with a Teflon coated low mass higher speed hammer and standard type trigger...  Its let off is smooth and crisp @ around 6lbs...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Try a COLT match trigger... It has the lighter hammer spring with a Teflon coated low mass higher speed hammer and standard type trigger...  Its let off is smooth and crisp @ around 6lbs...

Just curious... What's the trigger pull (weight in lbs) on the factory 6920 trigger?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not unless they've changed them.  The Colt match trigger uses a low mass hammer, a hammer spring matched to the different weight hammer, and the hammer and trigger are both plated in either hard chrome or electroless nickel (can't remember which).   It is also not a 'match' trigger, just a very nice standard trigger.  Which is a good thing from a reliability standpoint.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not unless they've changed them.  The Colt match trigger uses a low mass hammer, a hammer spring matched to the different weight hammer, and the hammer and trigger are both plated in either hard chrome or electroless nickel (can't remember which).   It is also not a 'match' trigger, just a very nice standard trigger.  Which is a good thing from a reliability standpoint.

You are correct about it not being a match trigger, it is actually a "competition trigger kit"...

And they haven't changed... As I had said in the quoted reply, the kit consists of a low mass hammer, lighter hammer spring and standard type trigger... The hammer and trigger is not hard chromed, maybe Electroless Nickel plated and Teflon coated...

I use one of these FCG's in my COLT Tactical Carbine A3 and think its better than the Armalite 2-stage and the JARD that I used previously in that same carbine...
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious... What's the trigger pull (weight in lbs) on the factory 6920 trigger?

The trigger pulls vary, it should be around 8lbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top