Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2005 11:56:33 AM EDT
Hello all,
              This is my first post to this board.  I looked at others, but this one seems to be the one to go to for ar-15 problems.
               Problem:  Failure to eject properly - Rifle fires ok after inserting new magazine, then releasing the bolt  from where it was locked back.  After firing the first round, seems like the bolt does not go to the rear far enough to extract the empty case.  Then the bolt  tries to strip a new round off the magazine and it  jams up.

Attempt at repair:  I consulted a tech at a gun show, and he replaced the gas tube, buffer spring, extracter spring and fiber bushing.  Also the bolt pin (cam pin)
               This is a A2 version, with the better sights, and a full length heavy barrel.  I obtained it from a gun dealer at a local gun show a while back.
                From reading previous posts, it seems like its short stroking.  Any suggestions before I take it to a real gunsmith?
                I can borrow a different lower receiver from a friend and try that combination.

Thanks,   BigChuck
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello Rusty tx,
                          No, it might get a few rounds off ok, but never a full magazine.  Back a few years ago, I had a colt sporter, and it shot fine.  I went to a local gun show, and traded it off for a A2 model with a heavy barrel.  I got it  from a well known dealer that made the gun show circuit in Virginia.  It was a few months later that I shot it, and found the problem.   I moved on to other guns, so I kept  the problem child in the safe,  hoping the gun fairy would fix it.he                             I have tried different magazines, mostly used G.I. , but am happy with a thermold plastic mag.  
                         I still like the AR-15, but not as a single shot.         Big Chuck
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#3]
fire it with one round in the magazine.  

Does the bolt lock back on the empty magazine each and every time???

report back with status.

welcome to the boards.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The front sight base might be leaking gas; the gas tube binding with the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey all,
               Well, tried firing it (back yard) with one round in the magazine.  It  DID NOT lock the bolt back after one shot.   I let the bolt go into battery from the locked back position.    I was using a thermold magazine if that makes a difference.  
                 What is this an indication of?   I havent tried it yet with another lower receiver.  Would that narrow it down?   If I tried another bolt....would that help, or should I be leary of a bad head space?  I remember when I was in the army reserves, they kept the bolts seperate from the rifle, but it was tagged with the s/n.  I was told because of head spacing.
                  Thanks...BigChuck
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
bolt not locking back on an empty mag. is usually indicative of a gas delivery problem.   See if the same thing happens across different magazines.  If it does, check the gas key for tightness.   Have you had the gas tube out for any reason?   Is it in right side up? or upside down.......??
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
    If I dont have any better luck by trying different bolt/ lower receiver combination, I guess I will let a local gunsmith have a look at it.  I am tired of it being like it is, and I dont want to pawn my troubles off on someene else at a gunshow.
    I can still shoot my cetme or fal when the urge strikes.  ha ha
Thanks for suggestions..
BigChuck
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
    If I dont have any better luck by trying different bolt/ lower receiver combination, I guess I will let a local gunsmith have a look at it.  I am tired of it being like it is, and I dont want to pawn my troubles off on someene else at a gunshow.
    I can still shoot my cetme or fal when the urge strikes.  ha ha
Thanks for suggestions..
BigChuck

Welcome to the club, Chuck!

I am kinda new as well. I will offer no insight as there are guy's on here that have forgot more about AR's than I know.

I would be happy to have you dump your problem child on me!hing
Good luck with getting it running.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand your feelings in getting tired of it, but this is, more than likely, a very easy fix once we understand what's going on.

We know that it's short stroking.  Are you absolutely sure that:

1.)  The gas key on the bolt carrier is tight?
2.)  The gas tube is orientated properly at the front sight base?

When you fire one round does the bolt carrier move at all??

or does it move, just not back far enough?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Boorg Member,
                            I think you have more patience than I. ha ha
The gas tube was replace at the gun show.  It can only go one way as I understand.  The key on the carrier is tight and has punch marks on it.  (If I remember, I dont have in front of me).  The bolt, on return from firing goes rear ward, but I think not far enough.
                            The old gas tube was wearing on one side..that is it seemed to have a flat shinney spot where it bells out and mates with the gas tube on the bolt carrier.  
                           It rained here in Va. most of the weekend, so didnt get a chance to return to the range.  ( about 15 miles)
                           I appreciate your advice.    Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Boorg Member,
                            I think you have more patience than I. ha ha
The gas tube was replace at the gun show.  It can only go one way as I understand.  The key on the carrier is tight and has punch marks on it.  (If I remember, I dont have in front of me).  The bolt, on return from firing goes rear ward, but I think not far enough.
                            The old gas tube was wearing on one side..that is it seemed to have a flat shinney spot where it bells out and mates with the gas tube on the bolt carrier.  
                           It rained here in Va. most of the weekend, so didnt get a chance to return to the range.  ( about 15 miles)
                           I appreciate your advice.    Thanks.

You might want to check your carrier key, I know you said it was tight, but I had one where I installed the gas tube, and some how it got bent straight and made it longer, well IT in turn inlarged the mouth of the carrier key and gas was blowing back out the larger mouth and not letting the gas push like it should, sometimes it would work sometimes not, I replaced the tube and carrier key, now no problems at all. Good luck here is a thread I had with the same problem, hope it helps www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=251551
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top