Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 11:03:56 AM EDT
I have some questions concerning the trigger pull weight of the average single stage trigger.

First off, what is the average trigger pull weight for your stock single stage trigger from BM, RRA, Armalite, Colt, etc?

And secondly, what single stage trigger pull weight would you guys consider to be "optimal"?  

I have my AS single stage trigger set up in my RRA carbine to break at 4.5 - 5 lbs.  It used to be a bit heavier at around 6 lbs, but some David Tubb standard hammer and trigger springs lowered it a bit.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Factory trigger?  Over 4.5 lbs, sometimes WAY over.

My preference?  3-4 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Average stock trigger pull is somewhere between 8 and 11 lbs with alot of creep I think.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
How would you go about getting the trigger pull weight down to around 3.5 lbs.?  Would you have to go get a special set of springs?

Also, the AS trigger I have in my M4 now has ZERO creep (if you mean creep by movement backward before it breaks) but the weight comes in right at 5 lbs.  Is this normal?

And lastly, I have heard that trigger and hammer springs will "loosen up" over time, lessening the trigger pull weight by a little bit.  Is that true?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Nobody can confirm or deny my assumptions?  

Have I stumped you all?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You bend the springs on an AS trigger to adjust weight.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So how would I need to bend the spring?  And what spring are we talking about?  Obviously I am not a trigger expert.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how would I need to bend the spring?  And what spring are we talking about?  Obviously I am not a trigger expert.  

You can use this as a guide.  www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

I stil think you best bet would be an adjustable single stage or double stage trigger.  Easier to do and possibly safer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Also, the AS trigger I have in my M4 now has ZERO creep (if you mean creep by movement backward before it breaks) but the weight comes in right at 5 lbs.  Is this normal?

Are you asking about the zero creep or the 5 pound pull weight?

And lastly, I have heard that trigger and hammer springs will "loosen up" over time, lessening the trigger pull weight by a little bit.  Is that true?
Springs do not loosen up in any way that you are likely to notice expect over a fairly long time.   The contact surfaces wearing against each other has a much more noticable impact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top