Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 2:42:08 AM EDT
Hi folks,  what is the proper way to single load the AR15?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
From a magazine with one round in it.
If you are talking competition, there are one round blocks on the market that fit in the mag well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It's pretty simple to place a round into the chamber - if you have an empty mag in place, all you have to do is drop in on top of the mag, tilt the rifle down, and it will slide into the chamber.  Once it's started, hit the bolt release and you're set.  

I think you could just put it on top of the empty mag and hit the bolt release, but I always like to start it into the chamber by tilting the rifle first.  Never saw much need for one of those single-round followers, but a lot of folks have them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Just start the round in the chamber and hit the bolt release.

I also see no need for a SLED adaptor for an AR.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I had always figured if you drop the round into the chamber and then let the bolt loose you’d get a slam fire.

I shot my first service rifle match this last weekend and that is all everybody does, and no slam fires.

So if I’m all strapped into sling and weapon is pointed downrange I’ll do it the way "they" recommend it. any other time I’m using a magazine.

J
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My nitpick for the night:
Starting a round as described above is (supposedly) bad for the extractor.
It causes the extractor to overextend by making it "bounce" over the rim of the cartrige.
When a round is fed from a magazine, it actually slides into the extractor from the bottom, and does not pop the extractor over the rim.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top