Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 6:06:33 AM EDT
4140 CM or 416 SS??

The gun is going to see a lot of field use for hunting, so I want something that I don't have to worry about to much. When I get the bug to go hunting I don't care what the weather is so the chances that this thing will see some pretty shitty weather and conditions is good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
probably the ss
what profile barrel are you looking for that you cannot find?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
probably the ss
what profile barrel are you looking for that you cannot find?

12in Hbar in 6.8SPC.

I was going to just order the model 1 Hbar and have it cut down, but the twist on it is 1/9.5 and everthing I'm seeing says it should be 1/10 or 1/12 as a proper twist(depending on bullet). 1/9.5 might be splitting hairs I know, but I don't want to risk that I can't shoot the loads I want to shoot. I'd feel better with a proper twist and chrome lining as this is going to be a defensive gun as well as a hog/deer gun. If a 1/9.5 will work fine and allow for acceptable accurecy out of the short barrel then I'd just do that. But I don't know enough about the 6.8 to start playing around with barrels with what apperas to be non standard twist rates.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
oh
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
oh

Yah not exactly something thats readily available
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not just have a barrel built that is lined?  Is cost an issue for you?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why not just have a barrel built that is lined?  Is cost an issue for you?

Somewhat yes on the price issue.

Most places won't one off a barrel like that. I guess, according to what I read it ahs something to do with haveing to ream out the chamber/bore a bit looser so that when it's palted it will come back to what it'suposed to be. So it's supposedly easier to just do a bunch of them at one time. I don't understand a lot of shit when it comes to barrels and how they are made and what they are made out of. I just shoot the bullets through them. This is only the second time I've had to do this shit with a barrel, the first time was for a bolt gun but I had lots of good advice and guidance on that so it was easy. I checked out ar15barrels.com but can't get a chrome lined barrel from them. Not sure where else to go for one. DPMS doesn't do an HBar in 6.8 and thier 6.8 barrels are not chrome lined anyway. The model 1 sales bareels are chrome lined but not the twist I want......
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a stainless barrel and have it cut and contoured however you like
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thats what I'm looking at doing, was hoping that maybe just maybe I'd be lucky and somone would know where to get one thats chrome lined though. But doesn't look like that will happen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I'm looking at doing, was hoping that maybe just maybe I'd be lucky and somone would know where to get one thats chrome lined though. But doesn't look like that will happen.

Chrome isn't the end-all of barrels... it is good for some things.  For a hunting barrel you'll do fine with stainless.  With a 6.8 I think it would take a long time before you'd shoot enough to notice a wear difference between stainless and chrome.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chrome isn't the end-all of barrels... it is good for some things.  For a hunting barrel you'll do fine with stainless.  With a 6.8 I think it would take a long time before you'd shoot enough to notice a wear difference between stainless and chrome.

Well my big thing is the effects of weather and rough use. I don't baby guns, I won't intentionaly abuse them but they do see rough use, sepecially when hunting. So the chorelining of the bore and chamber is somethign I wanted. As to CM barrel steel well I got no idea what advatages if any it has over SS or other barrel steel. I'll prbably just go with a SS one and be done with it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Personally Id IM some of our Industry partners BravoCompany,ADCO,Dennys Guns,G&R Tactical,MSTN.
I bet they would totally help you out, Most of those guys have or deal with many 6.8's
Good Luck and I want to see this Evil Weapon!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Personally Id IM some of our Industry partners BravoCompany,ADCO,Dennys Guns,G&R Tactical,MSTN.
I bet they would totally help you out, Most of those guys have or deal with many 6.8's
Good Luck and I want to see this Evil Weapon!!!

BTDT, Wes from MSTN  said they don't have any to sell, but they do have 12in barrels, they are all earmarked for builds though and unfortunatly, I can't afford one of thier 6.8 uppers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
You could do a barrel from ABS barrel with an electroless nickle silicon carbide lined barrel and have a barrel that has a better lining than chrome, more accuarte than any of your other choices, is lighter, lasts over twice as long, etc but it will be EXPENSIVE.  It should pay for itself in length of barrel life but the initial investment is much larger and you wont be out of the red and back to a good cost/benefit for at least 10K rounds.  10K rounds of 6.8 is mucho expensive.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are pictures of my Douglas 12", stainless steel 6.8 barreled upper.  I ordered the barrel from Wes at MSTN a couple of weeks ago.  So far I have only got to function test it at 25yards but tomorrow afternoon I will be shooting with it out to 225 yards.  When I return I'll post a range report.

I'm using a Troy front (not mounted yet, another story) and rear BUIS, LaRue 9" rail and low profile gas block, CMT M4 upper, Trijicon TA-11F, and Armalite 308A2 style flash hider.  I am waiting on Advanced Armament to provide me with a QD mount with the proper thread pitch so I can use my silencer.

Enjoy the pictures!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here are pictures of my Douglas 12", stainless steel 6.8 barreled upper.  I ordered the barrel from Wes at MSTN a couple of weeks ago.  So far I have only got to function test it at 25yards but tomorrow afternoon I will be shooting with it out to 225 yards.  When I return I'll post a range report.

I'm using a Troy front (not mounted yet, another story) and rear BUIS, LaRue 9" rail and low profile gas block, CMT M4 upper, Trijicon TA-11F, and Armalite 308A2 style flash hider.  I am waiting on Advanced Armament to provide me with a QD mount with the proper thread pitch so I can use my silencer.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Azalin/DSC00327.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/Azalin/DSC00323.jpg

Enjoy the pictures!

Swwet looking gun. I talked to Wes about barrels, and unfortunatly they are not selling just the barrel. And I can't afford to have him build me a complete upper.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I would go with the Model 1 barrel.  Lots of folks around here shoot them just fine for good accuracy.  I get MOA with mine when I am doing my part.  This is with 110 gr and 115 gr loads.  You said that your main interest in this upper will be for hunting 1 MOA will more than fit the bill.  Heck the cheap barrel will just tide you over until you have the funds to buy another one.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would go with the Model 1 barrel.  Lots of folks around here shoot them just fine for good accuracy.  I get MOA with mine when I am doing my part.  This is with 110 gr and 115 gr loads.  You said that your main interest in this upper will be for hunting 1 MOA will more than fit the bill.  Heck the cheap barrel will just tide you over until you have the funds to buy another one.  

I may just do that. Looking more and more like the best option for me for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top