Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/18/2004 6:37:14 AM EST
I was thinking of getting a Simmons Red Dot for my M4. They come in 30mm and 42mm. Which one should I get? Any opinions?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:38:25 AM EST
If you get the 30mm you'll need a riser.

Personally I'd steer clear of them, or if you need something cheap the TacPoint or ProPoint sights are the better option.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:12:46 AM EST
I have a Simmons 9x40 with power zoom..its not a red dot but its dead on.

I have adjusted it once and it has not moved or needed any adjustments even after 850 rounds down range on 200 yds..

just my input.

John
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:13:51 AM EST
The problem with Simmons is they have really cheap mounts. They are difficult to get snug enough to hold zero.... some of the other brands of similar optics are better.... but you need to be aware of what you are buying.... these $40 optics are bottom of the barrel.

If you do buy one, you need a riser (as stated by Forest) to clear the sights. This sucks... because most of the risers are either too short for the mount.... or take the whole flat-top length.... and negate use of a BUIS. Risers cost from $20 to $40 and up..... making the "cheap" way out less cheap.

Upgrading to a Tacpoint.... you will still need the riser.... and have the same issue as above.... increasing your costs again. You can spring for a good mount, but that really jumps your cost up to $200 total, or more. In this $200 price range, there are several other choices, of good/better optics.

In all, you are probably going to get what you pay for. If your Budget is $40, then you are going to get a Simmons (or the like) that you cant use.... Spend more, get more. Look around a LOT and make an informed choice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:40:20 AM EST
save for a used eotech/aimpoint and you will only have to buy it once.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:56:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By druncuncas:

Great Advice!

The cheapest riser I have is a TAPCO - cost $15 (not counting S&H). It takes the entire rail - though if you use the ARMS#40 you can have a part of it hanging off the end. You could get the YHM mini-risers - but you'll end up spending more ($11 ea and you'll need 2).
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:05:57 AM EST
I'm using a Tasco PDP2 "ProPoint" and it works perfect, cowitnesses, doesn't lose zero...

I AM using a ARMS #22M68 mount with spacer (normally intended for Aimpoint) it works PERFECT...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:15:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By druncuncas:

When you say EOTECH, do you mean Bushnell Holosight EOTECH?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:37:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:56:08 PM EST
Has anyone used Ultra Dots..??

http://www.ultradotusa.com/

Life time warranty and very versitle..

I am thinking of one for my 24" Varmit..

Top Top