Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 6:12:44 AM EDT
Any one got info on Simmons Aetec line.... They seem nice, look good and have a pretty decent view.......

Info please, im about to buy one............
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:25:28 AM EDT
I have one. It is very nice, clear glass and smooth adjustment knobs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:27:51 PM EDT
Good clarity all the way to the edges and very bright, but the click adjustments are so-so as far as repeatability. I haven't noticed any shift in POI with power changes at 100yds (I have one on a .308 bolt rifle). You'll assuredly get good glass,but the mechanicals inside are just so-so. All in all though, it's probably one of the best scopes under $150. I'd buy another one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:34:03 AM EDT
I have one on my 10/22 works great nice little scope
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:13:49 PM EDT
For the price you can't get better.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:32:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy:

members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS_V.jpg

yuck.    sacrilege.    please tell me that is a very temporary measure.

simmons=   wal mart scopes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:43:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By danonly:

yuck.    sacrilege.    please tell me that is a very temporary measure.

simmons=   wal mart scopes.

Really. ?.?.?.

I have several Of them and Consider them to be some of the best Glass out there.

I gave around $350 for my first one. i purchased it when they first came out.

They are tough as nails and ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HOLD ZERO!!!!

All of mine are the 2.8-10X44 models with the NON adjustible Objective.

The first one I bought, was 10 years or better ago, Sits on top of my favorite .300 Winchester magnum. This rifle recoils so heavily that most who shoot it, only do it once. I have put hundreds of rounds through this weapon with no trouble. Never had to readjust the scope. Stays on Zero from year to year.

I also had one on a .50 beowulf for pig duty. Never let me down. Those babies recoil a fair amount also. I sold the upper and KEPT THE SCOPE.

They are as Good as any LOOPDY that I have owned
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 2:14:15 PM EDT by glockguy40]
Go Leupold or go home.... save up for a Leupold... it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:35:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glockguy40:

Alert, alert.  Optic snob, at 12 o'clock.  

Leupolds are great scopes for the money.  They also cost 3 to 4 x what an Aetec costs.  If the guy needs a scope NOW and only has $100 then the Aetec cannot be beat.  If he has the time and inclination, then sure, save for the Leupold.  Personally, I can't shoot any better with my leupy than an can with my Aetec.  Aetec zero has never moved so why would I have a problem with it?  Of course, I've never dropped my rifle on the scope so don't know how it would handle something like that compaired to a Leupold.  Personally I'd cring at dropping my rifle on ANY scope.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:45:17 PM EDT
Why do soo many folks here look down on inexpensive stuff.. this aint Beverly hills, and you sure as hell ain't impressing anybody with your Lupy...

Most Simmons scopes seem to be very durable. I would not buy hteir low end scope, like the 8-Point, but the Atec is a great value. Not to mention a lifetime waranty to boot.. I have sent back Simmons scopes for repair, and the damage was clearly the fault of the owner(adjustment forced past the stop), and a brand new scope has come in return.. Can't beat that..
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:58:08 PM EDT
DaPhotoGuy, hey, what is that crazy looking mount you have on the scope?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:13:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:19:59 PM EDT

Those are ARMS #22 high rings with the A.R.M.S. #22TRC TACTICAL RING CAP with A.R.M.S. #22TRR TACTIAL RING RAIL.

Do your 1" adapter rings scratch up your scope tube?  I had some for an el cheapo starter scope I had a while back and they marked up the scope pretty bad.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:33:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ShadowOne:

Those are ARMS #22 high rings with the A.R.M.S. #22TRC TACTICAL RING CAP with A.R.M.S. #22TRR TACTIAL RING RAIL.

Do your 1" adapter rings scratch up your scope tube?  I had some for an el cheapo starter scope I had a while back and they marked up the scope pretty bad.  

I've had the scope out of the rings twice and I can't say it left any marks on the scope tube.  I have the ARMS 1" adapter rings.  I must say it's a shame ARMS doesn't make these rings in a 1" version.
Link Posted: 11/8/2004 12:18:15 PM EDT
I have an Aetec, and it's a very nice scope...it's the first one I recommend to people on a budget, as the glass is clear and bright, and in my experience, the scope holds zero well.  

Currently, I've got it an a 10/22, but I've had it on several ARs, with no issues at all.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2004 12:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2004 12:40:38 PM EDT by DaveS]
AETECs let you have a scope that you can hunt, eval ammo, eval different uppers/calibers or shoot for groups out to 600yds..................dirt cheap.

Don't believe me?  Then ask me one more time.  I'd be glad to tell you again.

Dave S
Link Posted: 11/8/2004 10:14:59 PM EDT

simmons= wal mart scopes.

Wallyworld sells Leupold too.

I get really sick of hearing that the almighty Leupy is the ONLY brand of scope to buy.  

Once you get past the trash $50 scopes, you'll find a LOT of quality glass that DOESN'T have the Leupold name on it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 6:22:39 PM EDT
I had an Aetec on a .270 bolt gun.  It worked perfect for years.  No problems here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 5:12:05 PM EDT
Had one on a Marlin .17 HMR. Very good for the money. $179.00 at Bass Pro in Springfield, Mo.
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 7:48:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Seneca-Cayuga:
Had one on a Marlin .17 HMR. Very good for the money. $179.00 at Bass Pro in Springfield, Mo.

Dang, ya can get the 2.8 x 10 x 44 for $101 now.
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 8:04:42 PM EDT
I own a Simmons Aetec . You can't beat this scope for the money!
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 4:55:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/11/2004 4:57:38 AM EDT by heavyduty]

Which AETEC is that?  Is it the 2.8 x 10 x 44?
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 9:03:07 AM EDT
Note that Simmons changed to a different manufacturer for these scopes after they were introduced.  They were initially made in Japan; after the guns mags gave their rave reviews, production was switched to the Phillipines.  Consequently, the more recent scopes are not as nice as the the ones that were made a few years ago.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 11:24:27 AM EDT

nice rig
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 11:54:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By green-grizzly:
Note that Simmons changed to a different manufacturer for these scopes after they were introduced.  They were initially made in Japan; after the guns mags gave their rave reviews, production was switched to the Phillipines.  Consequently, the more recent scopes are not as nice as the the ones that were made a few years ago.

I own Very Early manufactured Scopes and as well as later produced scopes.  They all work fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 1:27:55 PM EDT
I have one on my M1A always been satisfied. And yes I also own leupold, weaver, burris.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 4:57:41 PM EDT

Where?  The cheapest I've found so far is about $135.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 6:27:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Onslaught:

simmons= wal mart scopes.

Wallyworld sells Leupold too.

I get really sick of hearing that the almighty Leupy is the ONLY brand of scope to buy.  

Once you get past the trash $50 scopes, you'll find a LOT of quality glass that DOESN'T have the Leupold name on it.

Amen.  I own several Weaver, Burris, and Simmons scopes.  When I needed a scout scope I decided to try the Leupold and see what all the hoopla was about.  It was DOA out of the box.  Just my luck.  Twenty years of messing with scopes and the one time I try a Leupold, it's bad.  I've never had any problems with any of my other scopes.  Leupold repaired it and it seems to be okay, but I don't think it's any better than any of my other scopes.  I think the "Leupy or nothing" comment has replaced the Bah Bah Bah of the sheeple.

Link Posted: 11/14/2004 9:40:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By heavyduty:

Pretty please?
Link Posted: 11/16/2004 3:56:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2004 3:58:18 AM EDT by AZIROC]
ive seen the 2.8x10x44 had for between $95-130 on ebay alot.  im looking for a scope.. and seeing how im "stil llearning" ive been concidering this scope (as well as a leopold).. but ive heard great things from other aetec owners.  so ill prob pick 1 up.   they have 3.8x10x44 on ebay as well, usually sell for $10 more.... any real "noticable" difference between the 2.8 and 3.8?
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 7:57:47 PM EDT
I had a chance to look at a 2.8x10 tonight at Gander Mountain - I like it!  They wanted $150, so I'll shop around.

I think it'll make a good affordable scope for my new HiRider with 20" fluted HBAR, gas block and Armalite FF tube upper build.  Now to find a decent bipod...
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 6:32:39 AM EDT

Which AETEC is that?  Is it the 2.8 x 10 x 44?

Yep!
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 6:33:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By graywolf:

nice rig

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 6:34:22 AM EDT

Wal-Mart!  Ok, the store sucks but has good prices.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 7:24:56 AM EDT
I bought 2 AETECs 2.8-10X44 in 2000.  1 mounted on a Colt HBAR 20" Flat top and the other on a Browning Stainless Stalker in .30-06.  Never had any problems with neither scope and they always held zero.  I paid around $159 for each at the time and I've never regret it.  Sure, Leupolds are nice, but for most practical purposes there's very little gain to justify the steep increase in cost.  I outfitted 2 rifles for the price of 1 Leupold.  By the way, both rifles shoot (5 rounds) sub-MOA with factory ammo.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 7:18:52 PM EDT

Wal-Mart!  Ok, the store sucks but has good prices.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 4:10:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZIROC:
ive seen the 2.8x10x44 had for between $95-130 on ebay alot.  im looking for a scope.. and seeing how im "stil llearning" ive been concidering this scope (as well as a leopold).. but ive heard great things from other aetec owners.  so ill prob pick 1 up.   they have 3.8x10x44 on ebay as well, usually sell for $10 more.... any real "noticable" difference between the 2.8 and 3.8?

Good question. I'm interested in the answer also.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 6:01:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sterling18:

Anyone?

The only real noticable difference between 2.8 & 3.8 is that the 2.8 focuses down to a shorter distance. Other than that, they are the same.

Now if you are looking for a scope that will be used strictly past 50 yards, the 3.8x12x44 AO is just a fantastic choice.

The only scope that come close to the clarity of an Aetec in anywhere near its price range is a Leupold, but that would be in a VX1 3x9, so they are really not in the same contest. I have personally taken at least 1 dozen scopes from various manufacturers, set them all on the same power, and looked at a target 75 yards away. Nothing comes close to the Aetec except Weaver Grand Slams($300), Leupold VXII ($450), and Nikon Monarchs ($500).

Hands down bang for the buck scope is the Aetec, period.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 10:58:58 AM EDT

is that a fab10 lower? looks like it is with a small white dot in front of the mag well.  your fab looks sickass man.....hopefully I can save up a feww $$ to build up mines
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 12:22:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chaos4570:

Originally Posted By green-grizzly:

I own Very Early manufactured Scopes and as well as later produced scopes.  They all work fine for me.

Can you tell the difference?

Link Posted: 12/24/2004 4:04:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JH225:

Anyone?

The only real noticable difference between 2.8 & 3.8 is that the 2.8 focuses down to a shorter distance. Other than that, they are the same.

Now if you are looking for a scope that will be used strictly past 50 yards, the 3.8x12x44 AO is just a fantastic choice.

The only scope that come close to the clarity of an Aetec in anywhere near its price range is a Leupold, but that would be in a VX1 3x9, so they are really not in the same contest. I have personally taken at least 1 dozen scopes from various manufacturers, set them all on the same power, and looked at a target 75 yards away. Nothing comes close to the Aetec except Weaver Grand Slams($300), Leupold VXII ($450), and Nikon Monarchs ($500).

Hands down bang for the buck scope is the Aetec, period.

Sweet thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2005 5:01:55 PM EDT by HottNikkels069]

Originally Posted By glockguy40:

I find that many people take advice like this and "save up for XXX, it will be worth it".  Yet since they saved up the money for said product, they wouldn't have any other product to compare it to, in this case, an Aetec.  Of course it will be "worth it" and he'll think it's the greatest scope in the world, because the chance hasn't been given for him to own anything else.  With the same reasoning I can turn around and say your Loopy is shit, and I threw mine away after running over it because the $12,000 Spectre IR is the only scope to have.  

Same goes for all ar-15 parts.  Many people think money = quality.

Think again please.  It's called name-brand inflation.  

I do lots of car audio and the best companies out there, in the WORLD, are Adire Audio and Resonant Engineering.  I guarentee you a $150 adire tempest with 300 watts to it will sound better and be louder then any sub up to $1000.

Guarenteed.
No pun intended.

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:18:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By m98codered:

is that a fab10 lower? looks like it is with a small white dot in front of the mag well.  your fab looks sickass man.....hopefully I can save up a feww $$ to build up mines

It's actually a DPMS LoPro upper and lower.  It now looks like this . . .

. . . Soon will have the YHM rail mounted flip up front sight.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:52:12 PM EDT

members.cox.net/daphotoguy/AR15_V.jpg

DaPhotoGuy, what kind of rings do you use?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:11:58 PM EDT

members.cox.net/daphotoguy/AR15_V.jpg

DaPhotoGuy, what kind of rings do you use?

Those are the A.R.M.S. #22H rings (30mm) with the A.R.M.S. #37 (1") ring inserts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:28:26 PM EDT

Pretty please?

The Optic Zone
Top Top