Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 12:07:36 PM EDT
Thought some of you would find this interesting, don't see too many of these in the civilian world.

The upper, it uses a modified Colt upper reciever by the looks of the markings.

A look through the upper.

The ejector.

The bolt, which uses the M16 extractor and firing pin.  The firing pin has a spring in front of it though.  Which you can see in the next pic.

The other side.

The bolt face.

The fake portion of the barrel.  The actual barrel is only about 12" long and is rifled.

The only pic I had of the mags or ammo.  I should have taken some more of those.  The mag has a coiled piece of metal it uses to push up the follower which is interesting.  The sim round is a short 9mm case with a plastic bullet filled with colored detergent.  The travel at about 450fps, which makes them a bit more painful than a paintball.  They'll usually break your skin if they hit on just clothing.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
"They'll usually break your skin if they hit on just clothing."

Which is a real good incentive to not get hit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"They'll usually break your skin if they hit on just clothing."

Which is a real good incentive to not get hit.

Just like real life!

Thanks for the pics!
Now that is wargaming!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The only pic I had of the mags or ammo.  I should have taken some more of those.  The mag has a coiled piece of metal it uses to push up the follower which is interesting.  

You mean like a spring?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting pics, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only pic I had of the mags or ammo.  I should have taken some more of those.  The mag has a coiled piece of metal it uses to push up the follower which is interesting.  

You mean like a spring?

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like a spring?

Hey!  I've always found springs QUITE interesting, so back off!  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool.

What's the capacity of the mags?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
don't see too many of these in the civilian world.

Some of us do:

Of course these have gay UN blue handguards lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Soooooo.... Just what is this thing? [I know what it does and is used for, I want to know who makes it and what it's called].

How much do they cost?

Where do I buy one?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#11]
It's basically a paintball gun, but keeps the feel and most external safety features operational so you can train in a true force-on-force sense, with the weapon issued.

A company called Simunition makes it, and they produce both the slide/barrel combo and the rounds and magazines for it.  They have conversion kits for most of the standard issued weapon system for LEO/Mil.  For example… in a AR, a kit comes with the barrel upper and magazine, while a Glock kit will also have a barrel slide with magazine.

Once the kit is applied, you cannot use standard magazine in the rifle/pistol so that you won’t load real ammo by accident.  I’ve played with both a AR and Sig system… gives you a real true sense of force-on-force training while engaging real moving targets (ie armed humans).  It doesn't kick as much, both it makes a loud bang, casing ejects, and it gives you good range for a paintball.

~NewbieDave

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#12]
anybody sell that AR upper kit and ammo for civis?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like a spring?

Yeah yeah, not quite like a spring though.  A flat piece of metal is on one side of the mag and as you load it it unravels as the follower goes down.  I guess you could call it a spring.  

I'm just a Jarhead by the way.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Everytime I see a mention about simunitions I think of that video where the soldier gets shot in the nuts with a round.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hey!!!  That's "INNERT MUNITION" blue, thank you very much!

UN Blue is lighter...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey!!!  That's "INNERT MUNITION" blue, thank you very much!

UN Blue is lighter...

Whatever lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
We just started using UTM.  These use regular m16 mags, and the regular barrel, you just change out the bolt carrier group.  They also have blanks that do not require the bfa.  Let me go dig up a picture.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
don't see too many of these in the civilian world.

Some of us do:

Hah, I'll trade you my Glock 17t for your Sims upper.  curiousity, how well do the sim rounds hold up to time?  All the ones I've got are dated, seeming to imply they have a very limited shelf life.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a permanent scar from this stuff. It'll leave you with a temporary welt at least without protective equipment, or in my case where there was no protection. Hurts like a bitch!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok so heres an interesting question...

If one of us, (a civilian), were to mount a 14.5" BBL Simunition upper to an AR15 lower, would that be classified as an illegal SBR, or would the fact it isn't firing real ammunition turn it into an expensive training toy and void NFA laws?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool pics
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#24]
You'll probably have to take it to court to proof your case, but you'll probably lose.  As you may notice, sim rounds use modified primed pistol casing to push that paint around.  

It doesn't matter if it's just paint being pushed or FMJ... primed cartridge is still a centerfired cartridge.

~NewbieDave
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top