Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 9:27:33 PM EDT
Hey guys maybe you can help me on this one.  Converting a preban colt hbar 16" barrel to post.  Lug is already gone, but gotta do something about the threads.  Which is better for permanent attachment of brake ? silver solder, or pin and weld...and more importantly why.  Sending it off to gunsmith next week, and your oppinions would mean a lot to me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Since the barrel is already threaded, device retention is not an issue.  (Won't fly off at the range.)  I'd blind pin and weld the pin as this will be the easiest to undo if the AWB expires.  (A short trip to the grinder will take care of it...)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe all the big makers pin.
(Armalite,Colt,Bushmaster)

Soldering is an artform IMHO [:(]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
But if the lug is gone, does he have to permanently mount a muzzle brake? I thought the permanent mounting was for flash suppressors only.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But if the lug is gone, does he have to permanently mount a muzzle brake? I thought the permanent mounting was for flash suppressors only.
View Quote

No, a threaded barrel is a no-no as well. Well, if the threading will accept a flash suppressor or a grenade launcher it is a no-no.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top