Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2003 7:16:25 AM EDT
I have a brand new DPMS Lo-Pro classic.  I purchased a bunch of Silver Bear 62 grn Hollow Points and Soft Points.  After the first 30 round magazine I would always start getting rounds failing to extract and they were stuck in the chamber.  Once it was stuck so hard I had to put a cleaning rod down the muzzle and tap it out.  I have figured out what the problem is (it isn't the rifle).  Silver Bear is zinc plated steel case, not lacquered so a lacquer coating IS NOT the problem.  But, like Wolf and other Russian ammo, they use a red, fingernail polish looking sealant around the neck and bullet.  When you examine a case after it is fired the red sealant is no longer on the neck.  There is only one place it could have gone, on the chamber walls (in the neck area).  After 30 rounds enough of the stuff has accumulated in the forward chamber to cause rounds to start sticking.  I've proved this to myself by removing ALL of the red sealant from the neck/bullet on over 500 rounds (have a fairly easy way to do this).  I just shot 60 rounds of it through my AR last night without one failure to extract.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly why Wolf removed that red sealant from their manufacuring process.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The red stuff is waterproofing goo (I think). Wolf used to have this, they don't anymore. Does the bolt stay with the round, or does it come back and leave the round in the chamber?

You cleaned all the goo off 500 rounds? Wow! Good report. I haven't seen any Silver bear 5.56 around, I will have to get a little and try it so see if the same thing happens. I shot a bunch of it through my Beretta 92, but maybe the different shape of the 9mm chamber kept it from building up and jamming?
View Quote

The bolt would come back and leave the round in the chamber.  It had to or it would break the extactor as the round was stuck to tight.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's exactly why Wolf removed that red sealant from their manufacuring process.
View Quote

Maybe I'll write Silver Bear and tell them to do the same!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm. That's unfortunate. Thankfully, my RRA hasn't hiccuped with it. It has the Wylde chamber, and I assume your DPMS has a 5.56 chamber. It probably takes very little difference in tolerance either way to cause a problem.

Hopefully they'll change the formulation of their sealant.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got a question about this statement.  EVERY picture online that I can find of WOLF ammo HAS the red sealant on the neck/bullet.  If they have removed the red sealant you would think I could find a picture of "the new" ammo someplace.  How do I know if I'm buying Wolf online if it will be the old batch with the red sealant or the new stuff without?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a case of Wolf locally here in Austin this past weekend and it was now missing the notorious red goo around the neck.

This is the first Wolf I have bought in awhile (since I have finally run out of SA battlepack and was desperate for more ammo)

This was the first Wolf I have seen missing the red stuff, but granted I have been buying SA battle packs for quite awhile.

I ran about 500 rounds full auto through my M16, the gun getting so hot that I could no longer hold onto the handguards or even the magwell area and did not have one round stick in the chamber. (Chromed Bushmaster 11.5 inch)

There is also no residue that I can tell inside the barrel throat.

Althought I did have afew Failure to fire due to light primer strikes before the gun warmed up. I think it was due to the gun being tuned for SA and not the lower power Wolf.

Overall, not too bad. Althought I am waiting for more battle pack to arrive before buying in bulk again

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow now problems with Silver Bear...
Ive been looking to try this stuff out too
but its tough to find as is the Brown bear stuff
I plink alot with wolf and use M193 for better stuff and Hornady  TAP ammo for blowing up attacking watermelons and waterjugs and I want to try out the HP wolf and silver bear...

This past weekend however had 1200 Wolf jhp 55g go thru no hiccups and my gun was extremely hot to the touch...no goo, no ftl or fte at all. so I dont see any probs at all even after running 6 mags through it firing as fast as I can
Its not match ammo but its pretty accurate and does the job.
my only problem is it stinks but I shoot outdoors so no biggie
sell me your silverbear
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Can someone tell me why HKs have fluted chambers?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can someone tell me why HKs have fluted chambers?
View Quote

Not that it has anything to do with the topic of this thread, but it's to help "float" the round out of the chamber in a delayed blowback operating rifle.  The fluted chamber has some drawbacks when using commercial ammo as the bass can sometimes be too soft and "flow" into the flutes causing the round to be harder to extact.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually, it does have just a bit to do with this discussion. Steel has a different heat expansion rate than brass and its galling properties are MUCH worse than brass. (even with big ole drips of lacquer on the case)  - Which is why HK uses freakish chambers. (even on non roller locked guns)

All the speculation about the sealant/lacquer is just so much hokum. That red looking filth inside your chamber is no worse than the black looking filth that com-block ammo generates. [:D]

enjoy
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top