Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/1/2003 1:13:23 PM EDT
Just for the heck of it, I've always thought a silver colored AR would be kinda cool. I have thought that a person could bead blast the black finish off of the upper and lower receiver. I can't help but wonder if this would hinder the hard anodizing that is done....any input from anyone....Many people will just say "Why"?.....why not...just for fun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:24:56 PM EDT
jus get the whole thing hard chromed, its not actual chrome ,but a silver finish, that is very durable
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:28:32 PM EDT
You might be able to get a clear anodized coating from someone- very common finish in the aluminum window and door industry.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:32:15 PM EDT
I think Robarm does a silver finish of some sort on Aluminum, but it's quite expensive...I guess I just shouldn't be so cheap.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:46:03 PM EDT
Robar NP3 is what you'd want, although I wouldn't want a silver rifle. Do you really want something that reflects light and is easily detectable? It's nice if you want it just for a collectible, but I wouldn't use it in "the field". [url]http://www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=6&tabindex=4[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:49:02 PM EDT
It would just be for something different. The closest my guns ever get to field use is at the range if a band of angry soda cans or paper targets are ambushing me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:57:08 PM EDT
Years back I saw a sort of limited edition AR... silver receivers, barrel, FSB. All the pins, selector, mag catch, bolt catch, 5.5" FS etc gold plated... Sounds gaudy, but it looked great! I should have bought the dumb thing... It was a Colt but done up by Franklin Mint or some such... Ever since I've always wanted a silver/hard chrome AR...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:07:52 PM EDT
I'd like to see a pimp version (Gold Plated). Something along the lines of a Saddam Hussein commemmorative AR-15...maybe they'll do that to the gun of the guy who ends up finding/killing him. Silver AR's are nice looking, and I can imagine they clean real well. If you are going to do it, do it to a new, unfired AR and leave it in your safe. You probably won't be able to find much hardware that would match. You could always try a slick new moly/teflon finish instead.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:38:56 PM EDT
There is also a "Vietnam" special edition with gold plated highlights, wording and a map of VN. Serious bling-bling.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:41:12 PM EDT
i thought about polishing the upper and lower reciever, it would look nice. but it would be a pain to keep shiny. also might get my 16" bushy np3 coated, this would enable the gun to run dry and still be lubricated. it would be a silver grey finish.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:02:55 PM EDT
I have thought about doing Robar NP3 on an AR, just because. We refinish everything else, why not an AR?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:12:08 PM EDT
Colt made some SP1s with their "Electro-plate" or Marine-finish or something to that effect(someone correct me).Seen a couple that have been for sale at fun shows....no buyers. I don't really like 'em.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:44:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By az-gunner: I have thought about doing Robar NP3 on an AR, just because. We refinish everything else, why not an AR?
View Quote
I got my HS2000 done in NP3, and when I complete my AR and get the $$, I'll have it done, too. It's not shiny like hard chrome, but also protects against corrossion & wear.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:07:59 PM EDT
actually I thought it looked great with the silver upper and lower I saw one on special weapons mag with the RROC conversion. I want to do that same exact thing but I have a choice to either make me a nice SPR or do a custom AR in silver
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 6:43:13 PM EDT by bvmjethead]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=31343&iGalleryUnq=797&iImageUnq=13852[/img] [img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=31343&iGalleryUnq=797&iImageUnq=13853[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:59:35 PM EDT
lol. I want that rifle and my teeth to match. peace out, doggs. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:02:34 PM EDT
you want a BLING BLING AR15
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:03:15 PM EDT
you want a BLING BLING AR15
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:22:21 PM EDT
i've done my lower, upper, buffer tube, and a few other parts in NP3 from Robar. It was about 300 for them to strip the anodizing and apply the NP3. the NP3 is non reflective, even in high noon sun. My upper is being put together right now, but when it is done I can email pics for someone to post here (i don't have ability yet.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:51:42 AM EDT
That looks great....That looks like a "Mega" lower receiver....I've been going to order one of those this week, but haven't got around to it....very nice.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:12:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2003 12:20:29 AM EDT by az-gunner]
bvmjethead Is that NP3 finish? If so, can you give me a price range? tango_down I would like to see pics when you're done.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:07:54 AM EDT
i don't think bvmjethead's is NP3. Mine is no where near as shiny. Soon as the upper is returned, I'll get some pics to you. My np3 treatment cost $300 and some change for shipping. Robar was very helpful on the phone. I got the upper, lower, car stock extension, trigger guard, take down pins, and fire control group done. It took 5 weeks for them to strip the anodizing and apply the NP3. Robar is very busy, but since the rifle wasn't complete, I didn't miss it. if you have any questions about the process Robar is more than willing to answer them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:28:30 AM EDT
Here's a pistol I had Robar do in NP3. [img]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135oa93.jpg[/img] I was at the S.H.O.T. Show and got a "get 2 done at reg. price, the 3rd one's free" for handguns from Robar. I sent a 1911, a S&W 3" M29, and the OA... they were surprised! I sold this long ago... C3 was more important. -TF
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:01:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2003 10:02:16 AM EDT by cnatra]
Originally Posted By az-gunner: bvmjethead Is that NP3 finish? If so, can you give me a price range?
View Quote
I can't remember who posted those pics the other day but he said the barrel(& gas block?) was stainless and everything else he had been bead blasted & [blue]CLEAR anodized.[/blue] Looks CooL!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:04:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cnatra:
Originally Posted By az-gunner: bvmjethead Is that NP3 finish? If so, can you give me a price range?
View Quote
I can't remember who posted those pics the other day but he said the barrel(& gas block?) was stainless and everything else he had bead blasted & CLEAR anodized. Looks CooL!
View Quote
The owner of that rifle is member "ponomo", if anybody wants to send him an IM to ask him about it.
Originally posted by ponomo Those pictures of my SILVER BEAST is my latest creation. I had sent various parts out to an anodizer who stripped off all the black and did a silver clear coat hard anodizing. It shoots great and gets the looks at the range.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:26:34 PM EDT
i have my upper back from the 'smith. The rifle is complete. I have a few pics, but cannot seems to get them posted. COuld be stupid firewall on work computers. If anybody is interested, I can send them pics to post here (begging, please). I want to show off, but don't know how. email me here on arfcom, or hammerSTOPSPAM@macomb.com just take out the STOPSPAM thanks gang
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:40:29 AM EDT
Here is my new baby killer! Behold! http://www.freephoto-i.net/browse.php?album_id=5312
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:00:39 AM EDT
One word....."Perfect"...in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:25:35 AM EDT
goin hot [url]http://www.freephoto-i.net/browse.php?album_id=5312[/url]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:54:15 PM EDT
thanx for the hot link 800mtrs I took the rifle out yesteray and broke in the barrell and zeroed the arms40 and eotech. took about 12 rnds to get the arms40 dialed in. The eotech was VERY CLOSE to zero after I took it off my dept issued BM m4orgery. I shot 2 5 rnd groups. I only needed one click down and the eotech was right on target. if i can figure out a way to post the targets i will. I'm not the best shot, but i noticed a marked improvement in this rifle as opposed to my previous two. the first was an M&A build and the second was the BM m4orgery. Needless to say I'm happy with the project. My only complaint is the Miculek Comp, doesn't really perform that well. I had about the same recoil as the M4. I think its designed for a 20 in or 24 in bbl anyway. Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:32:55 PM EDT
You just bought a riced-out AR-15. Whatcha gonna do? Act a fool!!!
Top Top