Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:19:50 PM EDT
Hey everybody, this is my first post, hoping it's not the last(ish)

I'm looking to buy an AR in the future, exactly how far depends on several factors, and I have some questions.

1) Is the pre/post ban stuff still relevant? I've seen conflicting info on this.

2) How to make an AR more resistant to sand? I've had problems even with a bolt gun from blowing sand. How will an AR stand up? Are there any addons that will prevent loose sand/grit/moss from entering the gun? I'm not planning on dragging it through clay mud and then stuffing it full of gravel. Being outdoors, however, loose grit falls from clothing, gets blown by wind, etc. I've read a lot about properly lubricating an AR, and I cringe everytime I read "and lube everything thoroughly". Will I be spending lots of time completely disassembling and degreasing a gun that's jammed because grit is stuck to the grease?he
That said, I take care very good care of everything. I'm just worried about how it will work during the time BETWEEN fussing/cleaning.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
1) The difference between a pre-ban and a post ban AR is small: a flash hider and bayonet lug.  To most people the difference is cosmetic and academic.  It also depends where you live.  Some states (NY, NJ, CT, MA) still have their "AWB" that mirrored .fed law, so you can't have those two parts on the rifle.  If you live in free America, have it any way you like.

2) ARs do not use grease.  They use oil.  If sand is a concern use little to none on the outside of the bolt carrier and on the inside of the upper receiver.  Ose very sparingly inside the bolt carrier (where the bolt rides) and you'll be fine.  Best oil, IMO, is still Break Free CLP.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Eh, just lube the inside of the Bolt/carrier and close the dust cover while you're taking a break from shooting. Nothing else needs to be lubed on the outside. There is a dry lube inside the upper that your carrier slides back and forth on so that won't be a problem.

You should be fine.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
First dont lube with grease and environment and weather will dictate how much lube.I use breakfree to clean and lube and a boresnake.If in a dusty environment when the rifle is not in use keep the dust cover closed,muzzle cap and a mag in the well.even if using in dusty wind blown conditions keep the dust cover closed whenever possible mag in muzzle down.Same in rain muzzle down cover closed.An AR will take a good deal of crud before it jams up.Also a new rifle should have 2 or 3 thousand rounds through it so the moving parts break in well and the rifle smoothes out.Use good mags.An AR does not have to be eat off clean to function.Even in dusty environments keep the dust on the outside not the inside.To acieve this muzzle caps or muzzle down and dust cover closed when ever possible and mag in mag well is about the best protection you will have just dont let dust or crap build up.Its when a rifle goes uncleaned after use for long periods or used with no maintenence or dust and sand is alowed to build up when in that environment the weapon should be checked 2 or 3 times a day even when not in use.Knowledge is power and knowing how much or how little lube or frequent or infrequent maintenece depending on weather conditions and climate is worht its weight in gold.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as Massachusetts goes only post ban rifles for sale for new ARs but pre 94 rifles are still legal to own or transfer.Even from another state pre 94 rifles can be owned as long as it can be proved to be pre 94.All detachable high cap rifles pre 94 or post 94 ban rifles are legal here.Just no new no ban rifles.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Very good advice so far.

I've got a few more question if you all don't mind:

1) I've heard about the dust cover. Is it fast to open/close? Where can I find some more info on it? I have a parts diagram, but it doesn't explain these things.

2) How does it handle clean water, such as precipitation?

3) I've read about using dry lubricants; is it possible to use these solely? This would greatly reduce grit problems I think.

Point taken about not letting anything build up, and I don't think that's a problem. I'm pretty good with cleaning between sessions. If I were to accidentally drop it in sand, I would naturally clean it ASAP, but would it work if pressed into use without that luxury?

I hope you all forgive my concerns, as this would be the most high-tech gun I own. I'm mostly used to turnbolts, pump shotguns and revolvers.h.gifh.gif

Rob
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
1) The dust cover simply snaps into place when the bolt is either completely open or fully closed.

You can pull the charging handle back and the bolt will kick the cover open. The cover will also open if you press the bolt release with the bolt locked back. The bolt will kick it open on it's way forward.

It should be OK, but don't go swimming in a big puddle for the hell of it. Make sure you dry it off and lube it up with CLP after it has been rained on.

I'm not 100% sure about the other question, so I'll refrain from answering.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again. Good info.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have run testing and evaluation on several different dry lubes and not been impressed.  A tiny little bit of TW25B may work better if sand is that major of a factor, but you seem very concerned about nothing IMHO.

Mandatory pic of dry lube testing included for no particular reason....

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top