Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 10:57:56 AM EDT
Hi,
I just bought a nice safe for my all ARs to call home.
Do you think that silica packs will work just as well as a Golden Rod? It's only 8 cubic feet, so I think a Goldenrod would be overkill.

Where is the CHEAPEST place to buy a goldenrod from? Also the website says that they only cost pennies per day to operate...does anybody know percisely HOW MANY pennies they mean? Thanks.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, Golden Rods come in different sizes. I like mine. My light bill is high anyway, no difference from before when I did not have it. They are available for lots of places.

HTH

Danny
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done several google searches and yahoo searches....I found approx three sites that sell it, none of which are any cheaper than the other...
Any suggestions and links?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Midway sells the Silica packs and I ass-u-me they offer the Golden Rods as well. Midway has like a $40 minimum without paying the small order fee.

[url]www.midwayusa.com[/url]

12" Golden Rod

[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/359695[/url]

Re-usable Dissicant

[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/623716[/url]

HTH

Danny
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Reusable, eh?

Tell me more please.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the Golden Rod.  Put it in, and  forgetaboutit.  Once a month or so reach in and feel it, if it's warm, it's working.  I've had mine for about 5 years now and wouldn't think of going to anything else.  Put the silica packets in and you have to either rejuvinate them or replace them.  Then you have to remember to check them to make sure they are still functional.  Also, rejuvinating them takes quite a while IIRC, like several hours in an oven at 350 or so?  Talk about making your electric meter spin!  The Golden Rod is not a blast furnace.  It is not going to raise your electric bill more than a dollar at most a month and you could run a Golden Rod for years on what it is going to cost you to rejuvinate (or replace) the silica pack even once.  I run an 18" and a 12" in my safe and have not noticed any change in my electric bill.      
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Reusable, eh?

Tell me more please.
View Quote

When it turns pink (full of moisture), you bake it in the oven and after it cools you can re-use it.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I used both in some applications.  The goldenrod is only something like 15 watts I think, which is pretty low (that's for the smaller one I believe).  I think the larger one is something like 25W, but I am not sure at the moment. Cost per month you will have to calculate using the cost per kilowatt in your area. What is that, something like 76 cents a month at 7 cents/KWH?  Someone correct me if I am off. Some silica I use is reuseable, others are not.  I like the goldenrod because it keeps working as long as it is plugged in, but I need silica for those areas where I can't plug in, or both if I need the extra capacity.

For something like 8 cubes, a goldenrod is way more than enough.  If you get the silica packs that can be baked and "recharged" so to speak, that's probably cheaper than buying the rod, but the rod will last indefinitely and be usefull if you get a larger compartment in the future, and won't have to be recharged no matter how many times you open the compartment and humidify the air inside.  If it's convienient to plug in, I would get the rod - it will be more usefull down the line.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
just go with the goldenrod and forget it.....
[url]www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com[/url] =
Cabelas has the longer ones...you might try getting a short one from the mfg...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top