Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2006 12:30:46 PM EDT
I was curious, will adding a silencer to the end of the barrel increase the speed of the bullet?  Maybe not the same as a standard barrel, but just thought it might be a little added benefit.

I know the short barrel length on it prohibits full speed of the .223 round, but if I were to say get a Gem-tech Halo silencer, and add an additional 7.75", I believe that it would get rid of the fireball, increase the speed of the bullet, and of course lessen the sonic boom.

Any thoughts?  Photos?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Gemtech will not waranty a suppressor on 7" barrel  they said it wasn't long enough to stabilize the bullet baffle strikes might be a problem

I have attach my m4-96d with no problems befor they told me this

The increase in fps is probably minimal
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Gemtech will not waranty a suppressor on 7" barrel  they said it wasn't long enough to stabilize the bullet baffle strikes might be a problem

I have attach my m4-96d with no problems befor they told me this

The increase in fps is probably minimal

What was it like?

How long was the barrel on the host gun?

I really want to know!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot it on a
7.5 ", 14", 16", 20"

It's not like the movies a 223 is not subsonic so bullet flight noise is as loud as 22 rifle.  I've never tried 223 subsonic ammo.

http://arc.0daymeme.com/2E/ar15njpg.2EgVBDt0Ce8V8v5Vvmhqgq.full.jpg

http://arc.0daymeme.com/2C/vac1059jpg.2Csm22cahn6Oo-c86IEuLc.full.jpg
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How would you compare the suppression of the 7.5in to the other barrels? Was it effective on a 7.5 inch barrel? My 7.5 inch is a cannon without the Krink brake. I would like to hear your impression of how well it did work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought it would be louder but I couldn't tell a diffrence mabye if you had one of the sound measurement tools you could.  With water in the can and shooting something really close you just hear a smack no bullet flight noise.

I would post a pic of the ar and the suppressor but I'm in CO. snowboarding
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
on the 20" barrel you really  hear the spring go boing if you get the suppresor you can also use it on 22 pistols or rifles but it's heavy

my stormfront 50bmg suppressor papers are on the way cant wait to try that thing out
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought it would be louder but I couldn't tell a diffrence mabye if you had one of the sound measurement tools you could.  With water in the can and shooting something really close you just hear a smack no bullet flight noise.

I would post a pic of the ar and the suppressor but I'm in CO. snowboarding

So it sounded like a regular length barrel 223 that was suppressed. It’s good to hear that it can be done. Very cool. Can you share any more info? What was the make and model of your can?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
223chris,

Is that a Krink FH on the pistol in your first picture?

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
So it sounded like a regular length barrel 223 that was suppressed. It’s good to hear that it can be done. Very cool. Can you share any more info? What was the make and model of your can

it's M4-96D by Gemtech  
The suppressor increases the back pressure in the gun, which also blows more carbon in the reciever and all the way to magazine.  Eventually it's a single shot. The best thing I could recomend isthat you buy a ppiston upper.

223chris,

Is that a Krink FH on the pistol in your first picture?

MadDog

Yes it is. I threaded the barrel 1/2x28 for my outback ll suppresor. the krink fh has a adapter in it basically I can put any 1/2x28 flashider on it now kinda cool huh
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top