Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 6:51:27 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I'm having issues with the gas system on my SPR, and want to remove the PRI flip front sight gas block and try and replace the gas tube.

The problem I am running into is that the silencer collar that came with the Ops Inc muzzle brake will not budge. If I remember correctly, we had a really hard time getting it on the rifle because the White Oak barrel is dura-coated black.

If you are familiar with SPRs and SPR clones, you know that the collar sits right up against the front end of the PRI gas block/flip sight - so there is only a very small space...like 1/8" between the it, and the collar.

Any suggestions for trying to loosen and remove the collar without damaging it or the PRI sight?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2007 6:57:07 PM EDT by anjan9]
did you loosen the set screw?

ETA: the instructions for the OPS Inc collar say to use Rocksett under the sleeve. Did you use it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:18:09 PM EDT
Yes, set screw is out completely, and I did not use any kind of Rocksett or Locktite under the collar, it was hard enough to get on with the duracoated barrel.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2007 7:23:29 PM EDT by anjan9]
Did you try to remove the roll pin in the gas block and try to replace the gas tube without removing the FSB?

If that doesnt work, try a heat gun on the collar.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:28:19 PM EDT
You should be able to get the gas tube out, and a new one in, without taking it off...

If you are certain you want to take it off:

I would get another set screw that is longer, and leverage with it screwed into the hole on the collar. At least get the collar to spin or move an 1/8th or 1/4 turn. Then wiggle it.

Or loosen the FSB and try and bump it into the back of the collar kind of like a mini "hammer"...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:04:24 AM EDT
Thanks for the tips folks.

The gas tube is stuck solid in the PRI front flip-sight/gasblock. It will not budge, and won't come out - which may be part of the problem. I think I am going to have to cut the tube, and drill out the portion that remains in the gas block.

We'll see what happens. I might try the longer set screw...Nothing else seems to get it to budge, and there isn't really enough room to stick anything between the collar and front sight to try and wedge or hammer it down.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:41:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 6:43:07 AM EDT by SHIVAN]

Originally Posted By JHaines:
The gas tube is stuck solid in the PRI front flip-sight/gasblock.

Just to be sure:

You have knocked the gas tube roll pin out of the FSB, right?

I know you probably have, but have to be sure...

If the gas tube is frozen in the FSB, grab a hold of it with a pair of linesman pliers, then apply just enough heat {heat gun, low MAPP gas} to the FSB right where the gas tube enters the back of it.

Pull hard, while twisting it and I bet the carbon and gunk will loosen enough for you to pull the gas tube out.

Do you have a rail in the way? If so, you may have to grab the gas tube with needle nose from inside the upper....

It might be a job for you, and a buddy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:55:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

Originally Posted By JHaines:
The gas tube is stuck solid in the PRI front flip-sight/gasblock.

Just to be sure:

You have knocked the gas tube roll pin out of the FSB, right?

I know you probably have, but have to be sure...

If the gas tube is frozen in the FSB, grab a hold of it with a pair of linesman pliers, then apply just enough heat {heat gun, low MAPP gas} to the FSB right where the gas tube enters the back of it.

Pull hard, while twisting it and I bet the carbon and gunk will loosen enough for you to pull the gas tube out.

Do you have a rail in the way? If so, you may have to grab the gas tube with needle nose from inside the upper....

It might be a job for you, and a buddy.

Vise grip and a hammer baby!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:45:46 AM EDT
Yep, roll pin is out of FSB, but gas tube won't budge...so I think I'm going to have to
remove the collar. I'm going to try to pick up a pair of linesman pliers and use the heat
gun trick this weekend to see if it will work.

If not, I'm probably going to have to bang the hell of the collar to the point where I will
need to pick up a replacement. We'll see.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:06:47 PM EDT
Try a little Corrosion X around the collar, let it sit for a day, then put the whole thing in the freezer for 4-5 hours before trying to spin the collar.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:29:03 PM EDT
Try a little Corrosion X around the collar, let it sit for a day, then put the whole thing in the freezer for 4-5 hours before trying to spin the collar.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:07:48 PM EDT
Try some KROIL....

Warm them parts up, squirt some KROIL on em, give it a few minutes, squirt some more KROIL, and start twisting... it's worth a try - that stuff has amazed me.

If that don't work I am sure a propane torch applied to the collar getting it good and hot will do the trick!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:06:11 AM EDT
Top Top